Going Over and Frustrated

Options
I never complete my daily food diary becaise it seems that I go over my caloric intake everyday and it annoys me. I have only eaten twice today and Ive pretty much reached the limit. Its only 5 pm and I know I will eat again and probably have a few cocktails, so am I going to lose weight with such a pattern? I am working out but only about twice a week, which I know is not enough. But as far as my caloric intake...I need more!!!!! Thoughts?

Replies

• Jacole18
    Jacole18 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Eat lower cal foods more often.
  • Penelope2Plyr
    Penelope2Plyr Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Do you prepare your foods at home yourself, or mostly eat out or fast foods. I find it much easier when I am in the kitchen more preparing my own meals. Sorry you are having such a time, we all deal with it so you are not alone. GL to you
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary for the past 3 days. If that pattern has been going on for a while then theres a simple solution. Stop eating out all the time. If you cook your own meals then you can space those calories out over several meals throughout the day.
  • InTenn
    InTenn Posts: 99
    Options
    It's all choices. If calories and cocktails are more important that being healthier, that's a choice you can make. If exercising less than you believe you should is important to you, then that is a choice. Those choices, like all choices, have consequences.

Roseanne Barr (I believe) once said of a slender actress, "I'd do anything to have a body like that... except diet and exercise."

They are your choices to make. They are yours to change if you don't like the outcome. No one on here can make them for you.
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you just need to give more thought about your food choices. At first I found it hard to stay under my calorie goals, but as I learned more about the foods I was eating, and better food choices, I am now finding it hard to meet my goal and not be way under.

I have eaten three times today, plus snacks, and am still over 1,000 calories under my goal because I am making different food choices. I actually eat MORE than I used to. How crazy is that?
  • senseibena
    senseibena Posts: 3
    Options
    Lol, It's hard for me to even reach my calorie intake, yet alone exceed it, which is my goal. Probably because I eat mostly whole, unprocessed grains and slow digesting carbs. I guess whether it's cutting or bulking, it's always a challenge. Anyways, If you want to eat less, you need to...eat more. Really. By exercising more, of course.. A few tips that have worked for me:

a) Eat six small meals a day. Seriously. Every time I start couch-potatoing my meals a day go back to 2 or 3 - which wreaks havoc on my intakes. Eating six meals a day is the best way to eat less - or more - depending on your goals, and what you're eating. (and it speeds up your metabolism like hell)

b)Eat whole foods and veggies. An obvious one, but nontheless ignored by many. Whole grains and fiber help to keep you full with only a few calories. If you're trying to lose weight, this is even more important.

c) Exercise more. Nothing new here. This drastically expands your daily allotment. Start getting the habit... it pays off... trust me (:
  • batgreen
    batgreen Posts: 66
    Options
    I looked at your diary for the past 3 days. If that pattern has been going on for a while then theres a simple solution. Stop eating out all the time. If you cook your own meals then you can space those calories out over several meals throughout the day.

I really dont eat out that often. I have had a few days off from work and was also given gift cards for places to eat LOL. Typically we make our own food, but I still feel like I am eating way too much. I need low cal recipes ideas that wont cost a fortune. Anyone have any suggestions?
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Firstly log absouloutely everything, then look closely at what you are eating and find healthier alternatives, just cutting out the mayo in a sandwich can save you calories. Rice is very high in calories try eating a salad with your chicken and choose a low fat dressing. Simple changes can make huge differences.

I am sure that given a bit of time and experimentation you can find lower calorie, healthier alternatives and will find you are eating at your calorie goal. Don't be too worried if you go over a bit on the odd day just try and go under a bit the next, It will average out over the week.

Also you can excercise to earn calories that gives you a bit more lee way on what you eat.

Good luck and remember the important thing is to keep going. :flowerforyou:
  • Frock_Tarts32
    Options
    You've basically answered the question. You know you’re going over so you need to change your intake to fewer calories and more often so you’re not having such high amounts. You need to up your exercise so you can balance the cocktails. If you don't make the sacrifices you will not see much progress. Its hard work not a miracle :smile:
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options

I really dont eat out that often. I have had a few days off from work and was also given gift cards for places to eat LOL. Typically we make our own food, but I still feel like I am eating way too much. I need low cal recipes ideas that wont cost a fortune. Anyone have any suggestions?
    t's pretty easy staying within that calorie range if your focusing on a variety of whole foods. If most of your calories come from lean meats, veggies, fruit, and stuff like rice then it should be fairly easy. I typically have to add extra meals in just to meet my calorie target when eating whole foods vs processed.
  • nmullins81
    nmullins81 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Looks like you need to quit eating out so much or make healthier choices when you eat out. If the calories are too few, maybe you should reevaluate what you want to lose- lower 1300's usually means 1.5 lbs/week- only try for 1lb/week so you can get a handle on your eating. It is a way of life, you will have to change something if you want your body to change.
  • batgreen
    batgreen Posts: 66
    Options
    Firstly log absouloutely everything, then look closely at what you are eating and find healthier alternatives, just cutting out the mayo in a sandwich can save you calories. Rice is very high in calories try eating a salad with your chicken and choose a low fat dressing. Simple changes can make huge differences.

I am sure that given a bit of time and experimentation you can find lower calorie, healthier alternatives and will find you are eating at your calorie goal. Don't be too worried if you go over a bit on the odd day just try and go under a bit the next, It will average out over the week.

Also you can excercise to earn calories that gives you a bit more lee way on what you eat.

Good luck and remember the important thing is to keep going. :flowerforyou:

Thank you...yes. I think because Ive been home from work, I have been a little more obsessive and food is all I think about. Its so much easier during a normal work week to stay on track. However, I find that exercise is much easier when I am on vacation from work. I am also learning how to cook and its so hard to try to figure out what I am doing in the kitchen. I feel like I am at the store twice a week.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you just need to give more thought about your food choices. At first I found it hard to stay under my calorie goals, but as I learned more about the foods I was eating, and better food choices, I am now finding it hard to meet my goal and not be way under.

I have eaten three times today, plus snacks, and am still over 1,000 calories under my goal because I am making different food choices. I actually eat MORE than I used to. How crazy is that?

I agree with everything said here!!
  • kaymarie78
    kaymarie78 Posts: 104
    Options
    The biggest thing that has helped me is portion control! I've just started my weight loss journey, and instead of going completely cold turkey with going out or certain foods, I cut them in half which drastically reduces my caloric/sodium intake. This has also made it easier to incorporate really healthy food into my diet because I'm not just totally dropping everything I love but doing a kind of transition phase. I've also made sure to make smarter decisions by planning my meals exactly...I log my food in MFP before I eat to see how much I'll be taking in. If it's too much then I just eat less of it or try and substitute something in that's healthier. And try to work out more...even if it's just 15 minutes a day!
  • Embera
    Embera Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    well i saw you lowered ur cal goal why? you dont need to have so few cals take away 300 from your tdee instead of 500 its not a race dont starve your self but i agree cook for yourself and youll be able to control what goes into it you can use less butter and stuff like that cookinf your self is cheaper too
  • baribeau375
    baribeau375 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Here's the straight story. While it may be difficult to hear, from your short post I conclude you lack commitment. I don't know how many pounds you want to lose and how long it took you to get to your current weight; but, if it's a significant amount you have your habits to overcome. And, to overcome them wll take commitment. It's commitment with absolute resolve that translates to the will-power that you need in the early going to achieve an encouraging early success.

I also don't know what your motivation is. This plays a major role in whether your commitment is sustainable. This is the personal and introspective part of a change that produces initial and lasting results. I'm sure you've heard it all before.

Again, from your short post, commitment is absent. The giveaway is your "cocktails". There is no way that lifestyle change (and that's what a weight loss program is) is compatible a few cocktails, particularly when you're struggling with limiting your caloric intake. The alcohol, in itself, drives your calories beyond your limit. Worse, the appetite stimulation and the self-control loss produces what you cannot afford. In addition, if you are socializing while imbibing, you are generally faced with additional no-no calories that usually accompany the drinks. If you were really serious - alcohol would not have a place in your diet.

Lastly, there is absolutely no reason why, with commitment, that you can't stay under your calorie goal. But, it will take work to prepare your food so that is is nutrient dense and calorie limiting. It is not possioble to consistently eat out and satisfy there two criteria.

I have lost weight in significant amounts several times in my life. This time, however, my motivation is very different from times past. Previously, vanity and vitality were motives and I always felt that the health aspect was secondary and I had plenty of time to adopt a really healthy lifestyle. Now, that I'm older, time is not on my side - though I'm still very healthy. My motivation is to retain my health ( I'm 67 years old and take no prescription medication). I'm enjoying retirement and have no physical limitations associated with my many hobbies; and, I want to sustain this capability. At the weight I was last August, I was on a pathway to problems. Hence, my resolve and motivation. Generally, I stay under calorie goal 90% of my days. And the other days, while might be over slightly, I am almost without exception low enough to still produce weight loss, though not at the 2 pounds per week I initially established last year. After achieving my goal to attain my 1994 weight, I reset it to get to my 1964 weight. I'm now 7 pounds from the new goal. But, as I said, I now have the overwhelming advantage of commitment.

Work on the mental aspect and the physical will be immensely easier.
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Portion Control and Moderation! I eat 5 to 6 times a day: 3 meals and 2 or 3 snacks, and I just barely hit my calorie intake. I eat fewer calorie meals and snacks but eat more throughout the day.

Even though you may not like what you see, you should still fill out your fitness pal. Over the course of a week, you probably won't like what you'll see but it may prompt you to finally change it. The Fitness Pal doesn't lie. It is a great tool to help you not only lose weight but stay healthy!
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I completely disagree with the alcohol statements. It IS a lifestyle change and for some people, myself included, having a few drinks is a part of our lifestyle. As long as it fits within the calorie goals it isn't an issue.

We do have to enjoy our new lifestyle. It may mean having fewer cocktails, or less often, or both, but it doesn't mean we have to become monks.

The main thing is developing new habits and actually thinking about things like which food choice is better. I'll admit that in the past I never gave a thought to what I was eating. I would just pick something and eat it. Since I have decided to drop the fat and get more fit I have made it a point of learning about foods and such.

It takes time to learn these things, but I do agree it requires a commitment and, beyond that, action. Just wanting to lose weight isn't enough, you have to actively pursue that goal.

There are many recipe sites on the net, and many of them for healthy, low calorie meals. Google is your friend.
  • kaymarie78
    kaymarie78 Posts: 104
    Options
    Portion Control and Moderation! I eat 5 to 6 times a day: 3 meals and 2 or 3 snacks, and I just barely hit my calorie intake. I eat fewer calorie meals and snacks but eat more throughout the day.

Even though you may not like what you see, you should still fill out your fitness pal. Over the course of a week, you probably won't like what you'll see but it may prompt you to finally change it. The Fitness Pal doesn't lie. It is a great tool to help you not only lose weight but stay healthy!

Totally agree with logging everything...even if you know you're going to go over. It really will help you see where you're going wrong. The very first time I logged I wanted to see how bad I was really eating, and I was floored by the numbers. It has really helped in making smarter choices by just having it right in front of me to look at.
  • C00lCountry
    C00lCountry Posts: 282
    Options
    To me your food log doesn't add up. You eat 2 cups of salad but pu 12 tablespoons of dressing( 3/4 cup). Are you sure you are adding the proper foods? This is not always easy but the more you do it the easier it is.

Things that helped me.

cook my own food
    Weigh everything that is guessed at before
    Measure other items that can't be weighed instead of guessing
    Cut lots of unnecessary calories you don't need