Plateau Help?

Options
Hi, I've been stuck at 144 for the past MONTH. I was 142 during the middle but re-gained to 144. I started the thirty day shred 3 days ago in hopes of breakin it but nothing has happened. i eat about 1200 calories a day, sometimes more. Nothing has changed to cause this plateau. HELP

Replies

• mazecraze30
    mazecraze30 Posts: 30
    Options
    bump?
  • kparks2
    kparks2 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Try the zig zag calorie method. I do that it is where one day you count two hundred cals less than your goal, one day exact amount and one day 200 over. It tricks your metabolism...also make sure you are doing different workouts each day. See if that helps!
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    1200 is probably not enough, I imagine. Be sure it's 1200 NET... not total.
  • mazecraze30
    Options
    I did try zig-zagging last week with 200 calories which didn't do anything unfortunately =(. I guess that's why im panicking, i've tried everything I can think of. >.<

And I'm not sure what you guys mean by 'net'. I eat 1200 a day. Ive been doing that since New Years and it has worked up until now?
  • TurtleRunnerNC
    TurtleRunnerNC Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need to eat back your exercise calories. 1200 is really low. MFP set me @ that I tried for a week. I was cranky & starving. Been playing with my #'s ever since. Just started TDEE less 15-20% (giving myself a range to stay in) and I lost 3/4lb last week. My goal is 1/2lb per week. I put the low end of my range in MFP & using this I don't eat my exercise calories back.
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Need more information, how many calories do you eat a day, do you work out and if so how often and how long.
  • DeanneLea
    DeanneLea Posts: 261
    Options
    Zig zagging with 200 calories isn't going to do too much. Try having high/low days throughout your week and as someone mentioned above, eat back your exercise calories.
  • kparks2
    Options
    I agree with the last post...1200 is low. I am set at 1250 and I could go crazy on that so I work out hard to get exercise cals to consume. I think the zig zagging would work if you are exercising and eating those too. Make sure you are not having a deficit daily because your body will go into starvation mode. Also, try increasing water too.
  • Snotori
    Snotori Posts: 156
    Options
    I think she means... and I'm not meaning to presume but what I think they mean is count everything including if you drink alcohol, pop, eat little tid bits here or there, mints, gums, etc. Also what I've seen will plateau someone is the amount of exercise they do. I mean if you are on a strict well one that will build muscle well muscle will take the place of the pound or two you are suppose to be losing. Also if you are eating 1200 but exercising 1000 or whatever basically you are telling your body you are starving and it will go into protection mode which mean no weight loss. It sadly all makes a difference! Hope your plateau ends soon :)
  • kparks2
    Options
    Zig zagging with 200 calories isn't going to do too much. Try having high/low days throughout your week and as someone mentioned above, eat back your exercise calories.

Sorry if I misposted but that is what I meant. I have low days, equal days and high days and it works for me but bodies are different and we respond to diff things differently.
  • mazecraze30
    Options
    Need more information, how many calories do you eat a day, do you work out and if so how often and how long.

I eat 1200 a day. This past month has been hectic, so I only got to work out maybe once or twice a week for 20 minutes playing either just dance or zumba on the wii (just recently started doing 30 day shred, 20 minutes a day).
    However, there was one week where I did not work out because of finals. I was so swarmed with work.

I'm thinking that the lack of exercise may be causing me to maintain and not loose?
  • mazecraze30
    Options
    I think she means... and I'm not meaning to presume but what I think they mean is count everything including if you drink alcohol, pop, eat little tid bits here or there, mints, gums, etc. Also what I've seen will plateau someone is the amount of exercise they do. I mean if you are on a strict well one that will build muscle well muscle will take the place of the pound or two you are suppose to be losing. Also if you are eating 1200 but exercising 1000 or whatever basically you are telling your body you are starving and it will go into protection mode which mean no weight loss. It sadly all makes a difference! Hope your plateau ends soon :)

Thinking back closely, I haven't been working out as much this month. It may be due to the lack of work-out that my body has just been maintaining?
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've been stuck at 144 for the past MONTH. I was 142 during the middle but re-gained to 144. I started the thirty day shred 3 days ago in hopes of breakin it but nothing has happened. i eat about 1200 calories a day, sometimes more. Nothing has changed to cause this plateau. HELP
    eat more.
  • kparks2
    Options

Thinking back closely, I haven't been working out as much this month. It may be due to the lack of work-out that my body has just been maintaining?

Exercise definitely helps weight loss also I have researched that stress can cause lack of weight loss or weight gain. I will say during stressful periods I don't wanna work out and I can go through this but even though I have been horribly stressed I make myself work out and work out hard which makes me feel better after.
  • mazecraze30
    Options

Exercise definitely helps weight loss also I have researched that stress can cause lack of weight loss or weight gain. I will say during stressful periods I don't wanna work out and I can go through this but even though I have been horribly stressed I make myself work out and work out hard which makes me feel better after.

The problem was during that one week I would leave the house at 7am and get back at 9pm. Repeat for 5 days. That may be what messed me up.
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    eat more.

I agree, I see you are only 18 years old, 1200 is way too low for even me at 46, definitely too low for you.
  • kparks2
    Options
    I have those days too. I do not know your personal life situation (i.e. if you have kids) but if I know I am going to have late nights I do early morning exercises (like 5:45 a spin classes) or I do those on days I know I will not workout after work. It is not fun to wake up that early but at least i know my workout is done.
  • 1Kristine1
    1Kristine1 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Check out the eat more to lose weight group.
  • mazecraze30
    Options
    I have those days too. I do not know your personal life situation (i.e. if you have kids) but if I know I am going to have late nights I do early morning exercises (like 5:45 a spin classes) or I do those on days I know I will not workout after work. It is not fun to wake up that early but at least i know my workout is done.

The life of a college kid for me! So glamorous!
    Spin classes huh? I wish we had those around here. I've seen a lot of positive posts on the web about them!
  • kparks2
    Options

The life of a college kid for me! So glamorous!
    Spin classes huh? I wish we had those around here. I've seen a lot of positive posts on the web about them!

Oh I had so much more time in college ha ha ha! Does your college have a gym? Even if it is working on the cardio machines any activity is good and oddly enough it makes me feel better. Some days I leave work (school teacher :S ) with splitting headaches and I make myself go and I feel better after. Even if it means you getting up in the a.m. and going for a walk or jog do it.