i need some help with portions????

Options
can someone show me a portion size photos???

Replies

• saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I don't have any pics, but get a food scale! it helps and it doesn't cost a lot of money. Mine cost under $20.
  • kparks2
    kparks2 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    HA HA Not I...I cannot say I portion I just calorie count which ultimately makes me portion because while I would like to eat a 16 oz steak when I see the cals I decide not to. If I eat a half a lb of ground beef I make sure it is like 7% fat bc I know that is only 340 cals. I like to eat big for dinner bc I know I will go to sleep happy. Figure out what works best for you but as long as you count the cals you should be ok.
  • BarbraP44
    BarbraP44 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Target has the food scales for under $10. Weighing and measuring is very important.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I got a $5 food scale from walmart, definitely worth the money! Get that and a set of dry measuring cups and you'll never have to guess again! You can get both for less than $10, definitely worth it!
  • veronicacannon
    veronicacannon Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I had a food scale for a while and let my sister borrow it, never got it back. Anyhoo...

A portion of meat shouldn't be any bigger than the palm of your hand. Like the size of a deck of cards.
    You should also try to fill up at least half of your plate with veggies.
    I also just try to measure everything that I eat if I know the serving size.
    This has worked for me so far!
  • Jd1360
    Jd1360 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my food scale!! Best way to use it? Take a snack you like, weigh out a serving size and then study what it looks like, feels like, etc. That way you can know what is the serving size you want to eat!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Not photos, but here's some guidelines:
    http://www.measureup.gov.au/internet/abhi/publishing.nsf/Content/Portion+and+serving+sizes-lp

If you google "portion sizes" you are bound to find lots of pics.
  • lucylou9701
    lucylou9701 Posts: 194
    Options
    portion_control_chartFULL.gif

PortionTricks.jpg

100g=4 oz
    1 cup= 8 oz
    1/4 cup= 4 tbsp
    16 tbsp= 1 cup

Hope that helps :)
  • marylovehellokitty
    marylovehellokitty Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    every one says the food scales are less then 10.00 @ walmart went & checked and it was 25.00!
  • smkcx
    smkcx Posts: 69
    Options
    after looking at the chart above, i realize i need to purchase a scale.
    I was way off when I 'guess-timated' my meat, I thought 3oz of meat was "handful" (the picture for nuts, raisens) =/ ekk.
  • juliaamilee
    juliaamilee Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    yes buy a food scale use measuring cups tbsp and tsps.. And the posted above guesstimate portions are pretty much exactly what is used in our wic education classses. I have an actual plate that is marked with portion sizes. LOL it is a small plate so it cannot be filled to much that pretty much reflects correctly. I measure before I put it on there.
  • ABQsheila
    ABQsheila Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Here's what I've done to eliminate the need to measure every time. I measure a desired amount and put it either on a plate or in a bowl. I check to see what it looks like in/on the container---how much space the food occupies. After a few times measuring different foods, you will get an idea about what various amounts of food "look like" in a particular container. It works for tablespoon and teaspoon measures, too. It won't work for measures of weight but it's very handy for cups, etc. It's also a handy skill when you are eating out and weighing/measuring your food isn't possible.
    Sheila
  • zen_mama
    zen_mama Posts: 51
    Options
    I use a food scale as well (bought a cheaper one at Target for $16, but really want one of the nice digital ones). My other favorite tools for portion control are my measuring cup and spoons. I measure everything- from the light mayo I put on my sandwich, to the coffee creamer I use in the mornings. I even measure my dried fruits- if the serving is 1/3 cup of dried cranberries, but also has a "grams per serving" noted, then I scoop out my third cup and weigh it to make sure I'm not packing more calories into the 1/3 cup than the serving allows for. I find I'm getting to the point where I can eyeball some portion sizes, but still measure most things out to be safe.
  • kparks2
    kparks2 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Since I am such a carnivore I cannot go by the above chart ha ha ha. Do that if that helps you again I just make sure that what I eat falls into my daily caloric intake
  • pinkminy
    pinkminy Posts: 286
    Options
    portion_control_chartFULL.gif

PortionTricks.jpg

100g=4 oz
    1 cup= 8 oz
    1/4 cup= 4 tbsp
    16 tbsp= 1 cup

Hope that helps :)

I Love this its gr8 and simplified
  • pinkminy
    pinkminy Posts: 286
    Options
    Once you get used to it you wont need to measure quite as much but I always have my scales handyand measuring cups and measuring spoons.
    weigh and measure for a while and Use the same size plate for your meals and after a while you know what it should look like on the plate as far as portions go
  • alapoint89
    alapoint89 Posts: 632
    Options
    let me clarify my question can you show me a photo of what you would eat