Stubborn Mental Block

Options
So when I first joined MFP I was full steam ahead. I was working out 5-6 days doing a combination of P90X and HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) and logging all my food (even on weekends!) and being real conscious of what I ate (even at restaurants).

But as of lately I have no desire to work out or eat healthy, yet I continue to beat myself up and want to get back on track. I just have no motivation right now :cry: :grumble: :mad: I can't figure out what my mental block is...I used to enjoy being fit and being the "healthy one" in my circle. I'm not depressed and not going through any major stressors now, however I'm still working out everyone once in a while and trying to watch calories, but not with the same gusto I had before. Has this happen to you? Is this the classic "falling off the wagon" syndrome? Can I recover, because I want to. I know from this 2 month lapse I've gained about 5lbs already and I want to stop before I get out of hand. Your advice, 2 cents, experience are all welcomed :smile:

Replies

• Adele
    Adele Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I just went through this - I mean two months of not wanting to do anything "good" for myself. I had been working out and eating right for over a year and then I just fell off the wagon. I think you just need a break sometimes but then it turns into longer than you expected. I am finally back on track, and honestly, I didn't want to be at first and week 1 was rough, but now that it is week 2 of being healthy again I remember how much better I feel when I do eat right and exercise. Just get back on the bandwagon..you'll be happy you did!

Best of luck ~ Adele :flowerforyou:
  • Nessc
    Nessc Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I am right there with you...It seems like that since it has been getting cooler that I have no motivation to exercise. I am still watching my calories, but I can't seem to get my butt off the couch and outside to walk or even upstairs to work out on the elliptical. I'm wondering if it's not some kind of "prewinter time blues?":grumble: Like you, I, too, have gained back a couple of pounds and I'm so scared that if I stay on this trend that I may end up gaining everything back that I've worked so hard to lose. I wish I could help you to get motivated, but I have nothing. I guess you could say that I just wanted to let you know that you're not alone...Maybe we can kick this together...Good luck to you!!
  • barbarella
    barbarella Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I totally understand Girl! I go through phases like that too ........... :grumble: :flowerforyou:

At first, I feel great logging everything down .... like I'm taking action to make the changes I want. Charting the progress is very empowering and helps me stay the long course to the end result.

But then I either get tired of the routine of keeping track of everything or get derailed by other circumstances. I was recently all gung ho to start "hardcore" weight training again for a few weeks & then couldn't because of major dental work. I ended up losing a few pounds anyway!

So I think it's natural for our minds & bodies to need a break from all our usual routines.

I would suggest first of all......... Try & Go Easier on Yourself! :flowerforyou:
    Log food & exercise only on weekdays, workout in ways that you really ENJOY.
    Try a different mix of what has worked for you in the past with some new ideas.

Good luck & you can do it! :love: :flowerforyou: :love:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Celestia,

I completely understand. It has happened to me more than once. It's not a giant swing of emotion, or a significant event that caused the change, it's just not that new and exciting anymore. I've had this happen. Once in a while for about a month or two, I just feel like I don't want anything to do with exercise. I'll still exercise 3 or 4 times a week, and i'll still eat mostly correct, but my heart's just not in it. THIS IS NORMAL. It will happen to you, it's happened to me 3 times in the last 2 years, and if you're anything like me, you'll snap out of it. What you can't do is let the feeling consume you. Just know that eventually you'll come out of the haze and start really getting back on track. Sometimes it's a new routine that kick starts your enthusiasm, sometimes it's an event you have coming up, and sometimes it's just you saying "enough is enough!" whatever it is, have faith. You'll get past the lull.
  • lisaisso
    lisaisso Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU FOR POSTING THIS!
    this would be my 4th day in a row that i've missed.. but reading all your guys's posts really made me change my mind and go to the gym ASAP!
    it may be the weather change, it may be because nothing's new and exciting.. whatever it may be, i don't want to regress either, so here i go :smile:
    get back on track, at least just for today :flowerforyou:
  • Celestia
    Celestia Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Thank you all who commented! I need to keep your words on reply in my head! :smile:
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I've been a lil of kilter for the last 2-3 weeks since it started being cold out...wanting to eat everything in sight and not as much enthusiasm or gusto when im working out...still logging but not so careful with everyhting

I just think it's natural with the season change [and of course to get bored or off track once in a while]

and now that I got to eat how I wanted for a day or two during thanksgiving [canada] this past weekend...I seem to be back on track today :smile:

it seems to go in waves for me. I am the queen of self sabotage:grumble:
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I'm going through this now...though I am a little stressed and depressed, but it happens every autumn without fail. I do great all summer, then fall hits, and my will dissolves. I still force myself to exercise, but not 6 or 7 days a week like I was in the summer, and I'm not as good with my calories as I was. I take it day by day. As long as I'm not over by 1000 calories, I know I'm still in the weight loss zone, and if I am over by 1000 calories, then I know I'm still maintaining...I'm just sort of riding it out. Try to make as many good choices as you can, and hopefully our will returns. :smile: