Sleeping in and loosing weight

Options
Ok, I know this sounds crazy and I wonder if anyone else has noticed this.

I LOVE sleeping in. Love it. I always sleep in on the weekends. I wake up anywhere between 10 am and 1 pm on weekends.

Today I REALLY slept in, I slept from about midnight and didn't wake up until 2:30!!! that was a bit much, even for me, but I must have been tired.

I weighed 201 last night before I went to bed. This morning I weigh 196.

I have noticed MANY times that when I sleep in, I've lost weight. Now, of course, I'm going long without eating when I sleep for a long time, but I've also heard that Human Growth Hormone, which is a good fat-burning hormone, is very active when we sleep. (I've also heard that this is a reason why getting a good night's sleep is important for weightloss).

Anyone else have thoughts on sleeping in and weight loss? Why does sleeping in seem to be such a nice weight-loss boost?

Replies

• Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    It's cause you were dehydrated most likely, in my opinion.
  • istril
    istril Posts: 11
    Options
    I thought about that, but the weight loss seems to "stick" even after a full day of eating/drinking.
  • MyFeistyEvolution
    MyFeistyEvolution Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    While sleeping a good amount is generally good for overall health, but weight loss is due to a calorie deficit. Do you weigh daily and dos this loss you see stay for good or are you going up and down throughout the week? Generally speaking, your body is complex and weight can fluctuate every day...that is why I personally inly way in once a week, same day, same time.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Kinda the opposite here. I have two littles, one of whom always wakes up to nurse at least once, and a 2 year old who has nightmares frequently. The times where between the two of them I'm getting very broken sleep, the weight sticks, but as soon as I get a nights that has a couple good stretches (4ish hours), the weight falls off.
  • AABru
    AABru Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Anything over 6 hours causes a similar weightloss for me...but generally I put most of it back on during the day, so I'm thinking my weightloss is water. speaking of sleeping....yawn!
  • istril
    istril Posts: 11
    Options
    Well, I'm back up to where I was yesterday from eating and drinking, so probably it was water, as others suggested. But I swear in the past, sometimes a long night's sleep makes weightloss " show" and stick. It doesn't make sense really... I guess I wondered if there was some process that triggers your body to burn fat during a long period of sleep.
  • trinitrate
    trinitrate Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning and every evening right before bed. I consistently 'loose' 3 lbs a night with a good night sleep (7-8 hours). I woke up at 4:30 the other AM and just for kicks weighed myself before going back to sleep. I had only lost 2 lbs. When went back to sleep and got up a few hours later, the other pound was gone. ;)

Did I actually lose 3 lbs? No, not really. During the day you'll gain that back and lose it again with eating, water intake, exercise etc.

Your theory on the hormone impact is interesting though... interested to see what others can add.
  • xhereinmyheadx
    xhereinmyheadx Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    That always happens for me too! I find I weigh less when I sleep in till 10 rather than when I wake up at 4:30 in the morning for work. But I guess it makes sense, cause I go longer without food.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Lol, kinda hard to overeat when you're sleeping. But let's face it, less activity means less calories burned so it's a wash. Calorie deficit is really what matters most to weight loss.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    because sleep is amazing. if i do not have to work then i sleep 12+ hours. idk if it necessarily helps with weight loss, but since i sleep half the day i can't consume calories
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I read in an article that sleep was necessary for the body to "dismantle" empty fat cells and that's why sleeping more makes it look like you've lost more.

I've also read that fat cells are forever, "empty" or not, so who knows? It was an interesting theory although I kind of doubt it's backed by real science.
  • Lady_Bane
    Lady_Bane Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    ME TOO!
  • Mamoonie
    Mamoonie Posts: 328
    Options
    I too noticed that when I sleep until 11 am, I am lighter than when I weigh at 6.30. So on weekends I take my scale numbers with a grain of salt, and log my regular weigh in results only on days I am up at 6.30, to compare with equal numbers. The sleeping in numbers are a cheat for me.