Nuts and Hummus

Options
Are pistachios really the healthiest nut compared to others?

Also, someone told me that hummus is a really healthy food, but when i read the labels i was shocked! Does anyone eat it? What are the health benefits....if any?

Replies

• Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    Hummus can be healthy if you find a brand that has all natural ingredients or you make it yourself.
    Chickpeas are a healthy carb with protein and fiber also. Olive oil is a good fat, a MUFA.
  • rachelmommy1
    Options
    maybe that was the problem....so probably a deli would have healthier stuff?
  • sleepl8s
    Options
    Hummus is an excellent source of protein and good fats. It's high in fiber and fiber helps you trap food undigested and move it along so it nullifies some of the calories you're eating. If you're gonna add some type of condiment to make your sandwich or burger taste better, hummus and guacamole make excellent substitutes
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    A deli may but I'm not really sure. I like Sabra, it's ingredients aren't too bad, just a couple to give it shelf life. I would think if you could find some at a farmer's market or maybe whole foods, it would have mostly natural ingredients, but I guess not for sure. It's not hard to make yourself if you'd like to know for sure what's going in it. Chickpeas, olive oil and tahini are the key ingredients (i think lemon juice is in most too), and you can blend those with whatever seasoning you like.
  • rachelmommy1
    Options
    mmmmm guacamole............i'm a sucker for avacados........a spoon and a salt shaker is all that's required lol
  • meshell216
    meshell216 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I really like the Sabra hummus, roasted pine nut is great. I eat a few garlic melba toast with it for a snack!
  • rachelmommy1
    Options
    i was looking at the hummus snack pack things at walmart....bon't remember the brand.
    we don't have a whole foods where i live and the natural foods store here doesn't carry it......i may have to make my own........although.....i may want to try it first.....does it taste like chickpeas or.......?
  • TJFreeman
    Options
    It does not taste like chickpeas. I can't exactly explain WHAT it tastes like, but depending on what flavor you get, it is delicious. I :heart: the garlic flavor.
  • Ripgirl
    Ripgirl Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    A brand called Summer Fresh makes a spicy red pepper hummus that is really nice, and has quite a little kick. It's great with baked tortilla chips or as a dip for baby carrots, sugar snap peas, etc. That brand makes a few different flavours. I'm not sure how it compares to others (ie homemade) as far as the ingredients, but I believe it is a reasonably healthy option in the hummus department.