Slowly headed in the wrong direction, again.

I started this thing in November 2011. Diet, exercise and a very strict calorie intake. I managed to eat my allowed calories without breaking down or having a hard time. At one point, logging my food was a REALLY big thing. I'd never let myself go over. In March I hit my goal and decided I'll go on maintenance calories. Ok, no problem. I was going from that skimpy 1,400 to a huge 2,300! How could I ever screw up, right?

I survived March + April. Always meeting my daily goal. Never over, never drastically under. No issue there. May comes around. I'm getting tempted. I go out. Buy ice creams, start having smoothies, shakes, big fancy dinners, etc. Suddenly, that number of 2,300 became a problem. I kid you not. Of the 27 days in May so far, I've gone over more than half.

My question is, what exactly is going wrong? Could the issue be, I deprived myself for so many months of great foods/heavy eating habits, that in the end I'm starting to crack and the old me is shining through? Lately, all I do is complain and complain. But I can't seem to get that bit of self control to take over. It's funny. The number on the scale, since I hit my goal, has stayed either AT my goal weight, or even under. While I'm fine now, if I keep this up, I'm done for. I worked my *kitten* off to lose the amount of weight I lost. I don't wanna fall into obscurity again and head down in the wrong direction.

Help friends, help :-/

Replies

• Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    I've looked through all of May, and for the whole month, you are actually under your calorie goal, assuming that you log everything you eat and your exercise calories are accurate. Maybe what will help is considering your calories as a weekly total, and not stressing the day to day. As long as you stay at your weekly, you will maintain:)
  • lr8812
    lr8812 Posts: 111
    Definitely had a problem with cheating this month. Didn't bother to log any of the excess stuff :(. Thanks for looking through, much appreciated. Really want to overcome this issue. It's hitting me hard.
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    I think many people struggle with maintenance, especially if you deprived yourself of things while you were losing. It's really a mental battle and you've got to get back the mentality that helped you reach your goal. You can still have those splurges, but you have to limit them. This is a lifetime battle if you don't figure out how to fit them in without losing control.

First - start logging truthfully again and get yourself back under control for one week. Then another week and keep going from there. You can't beat yourself up when you slip or just say "eff it, I'll just overeat all week." Put the stop to that and get back to eating right the next meal.

You proved you can lose it, now prove you don't have to regain it!
  • emsnyc
    emsnyc Posts: 16 Member
    I'm having the same problem you are. Hit my goal and gradually got sloppy logging, not careful with portion control... you name it. The only thing I do consistently is exercise. I need these boards and just started reading and posting here for the first time.

We need to forgive ourselves a little when we mess up, and then just balance it out with some discipline. But if you beat yourself up too much, you may end up throwing in the towel. Just remember, even if you messed up- you're doing better than before you made the changes and had the progress... now you have the tools, the knowledge how to put them to practice, and the memory of success in the past. Sure, you know it's hard work- but you also know it can be done.

Keep posting, it keeps you accountable (that's why I sought these boards out), and keep logging. Recently I lapsed in my logging and I gained- tonight I resolved to log- even though my days calories are literally 1000+ over! I know if I keep doing this, I will have more control, and I will be more aware of the consequences. Also, the consequences of staying in a healthy range - are feeling great and being happier. You can do it... you already have.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    *snip*

First - start logging truthfully again and get yourself back under control for one week. Then another week and keep going from there. You can't beat yourself up when you slip or just say "eff it, I'll just overeat all week." Put the stop to that and get back to eating right the next meal.

This. It's been a very long week this week as I'm getting ready to leave town and I've gone over on calories every day. The main thing though is to LOG IT! Even if it sucks seeing how much you're eating, you have to see WHAT you're eating and work around it. I keep logging just to keep myself accountable, if I don't log it, I feel like it didn't happen even though obviously it did. The calories aren't going to not be there just because you didn't put them in. I feel like for the most part, logging what I eat will have to be something I do for a very very long time, especially when I hit maintenance.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    I'm having the same problem you are. Hit my goal and gradually got sloppy logging, not careful with portion control... you name it. The only thing I do consistently is exercise. I need these boards and just started reading and posting here for the first time.

We need to forgive ourselves a little when we mess up, and then just balance it out with some discipline. But if you beat yourself up too much, you may end up throwing in the towel. Just remember, even if you messed up- you're doing better than before you made the changes and had the progress... now you have the tools, the knowledge how to put them to practice, and the memory of success in the past. Sure, you know it's hard work- but you also know it can be done.

Keep posting, it keeps you accountable (that's why I sought these boards out), and keep logging. Recently I lapsed in my logging and I gained- tonight I resolved to log- even though my days calories are literally 1000+ over! I know if I keep doing this, I will have more control, and I will be more aware of the consequences. Also, the consequences of staying in a healthy range - are feeling great and being happier. You can do it... you already have.

She says it better :tongue:
  • jhigg11
    jhigg11 Posts: 121 Member
    Maybe it is becoming a problem because you are not directly acknowledging it is going in your mouth. Log it and hold yourself accountable. Don't beat yourself up about it or over analyze what it is. You may just be getting out of control because you are not allowing yourself something in moderation every once in a while. But you have to stare it down and log it.