building muscle

Options
hi

i have been trying tobuild muscle for yyyyeeeeaarrss now.
i work out every day - and vary my routine.
right now i use p90x2 and alternate doing lifting and cardio.

anyways, my nutrition is just whack.

i do not think i get the necessary 1.5 g/ lb. - i weigh about 145 lbs.

doesM MFP let u know how much protein u get in a day?

also- if any body has tips to making sure u get enough protein..that would be AMAZING!

Replies

• HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    1) Make sure you are eating in a surplus of calories (eating more than you need to maintain your weight)

2) Consume enough protein. Around 1g per lb at least (so at least 145g for you) I don't think 1.5g per lb is necessary. Go to "home" > "goals" > "change goals" > "custom" and there you can change your % of protein/carbs/fat. Just test different ones out for a while until you find one that gives you a goal of around 1g per lb of bodyweight. Fat should also be a minimum of around 0.35g per lb body weight, and the rest with whatever you wish (mostly carbs)

3) Find a good lifting routine. P90x is not a good enough programme for muscle building. It may build a little but heavy lifting is far better. Many people on here have had success with "stronglifts 5x5" or "starting strength" so I'd recommend either of those.

4) Cardio is not necessary to building muscle. If you do it do keep cardiovascular health good, then that's great but be aware that you'll need to eat more to compensate.

5) You WILL gain some fat as well. It's almost impossible to gain muscle and not gain fat and / or lose fat. It happens to newbie lifters sometimes in a deficit, but as a general rule, you can't.
  • jsvlad
    jsvlad Posts: 9
    Options
    how many calories should i be aiming for per day?
    im thinking 3500..
    50 protein
    25 carb
    25 fat?
  • richx83
    richx83 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I will add that muscle is made when you are resting so make sure you are getting plenty of rest days in too, working out everyday may not be the best way to go.

Also you need to take in protein every few hours so make sure it is spread through out your meals

Rich
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Regarding number of calories per day - Do your calculations to work out roughly what your maintenance calories are then add around 500. Then just monitor it over a couple of weeks and adjust from there.

Regarding exercise - cardio will detriment your muscle gains so unless it is something that you particularly love or is more important to you, I would suggest cutting down the amount you do. When I am on a bulking cycle I do literally NO cardio at all.

I don't know what P90X is, but unless it is having you lifting heavy then it's probably not helping either. Programmes like those seem to be mainly aiming at fat burning which isn't an issue for you.

Get on the free weights and lift heavy. Squats, Deadlifts, RDLs, Bench Press, Chin ups, Shoulder presses, Rows, etc etc...
    Do weight enough that you can do between 8 and 12 reps for 3 sets. Probably 7 or so exercises per session - should take 45-60 minutes, more than that starts to be a waste of time really. As soon as you can do 12 reps at a particular weight, up it so you can only do 8, then work up to 12 reps again etc etc....

Plenty of rest is important also. The most important bit is nutrition though. If you don't eat enough it doesn't matter how well you work out, you won't see results. Think of building a house. It doesn't matter how good a job you do - if you don't have enough materials that house won't get any bigger...

For me on a bulking cycle I eat, do weights and sleep. No running/football/other sports. Or if I do those other sports, then I'm weighing it against the fact my gains will suffer.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    how many calories should i be aiming for per day?
    im thinking 3500..
    50 protein
    25 carb
    25 fat?

It all depends on how many you need to maintain. You find what you need to maintain in a day, inclusive of your activity/exercise. This is your TDEE and you go about 10-20% above that in calories. Say your TDEE was 2800, then you'd eat between 3080 and 3360.

Personally I'd think that 50% protein would be not only be extremely hard to manage, but not necessary. (On 3000 calories a day isn't this 375g protein?!) Focus on the amount in grams rather than the percentage. I really doubt you'll need more than around 200g. Also, you may find extra carbs help while trying to gain mass, with energy levels if not anything else.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    hi

i have been trying tobuild muscle for yyyyeeeeaarrss now.
    i work out every day - and vary my routine.
    right now i use p90x2 and alternate doing lifting and cardio.

anyways, my nutrition is just whack.

i do not think i get the necessary 1.5 g/ lb. - i weigh about 145 lbs.

doesM MFP let u know how much protein u get in a day?

also- if any body has tips to making sure u get enough protein..that would be AMAZING!
    Being a veteran bodybuilder and instructing clients who wanted to put on muscle here's what you do: Eat a calorie surplus making sure that you eat 1.5g of protein minimum per pound of bodyweight. Then stick to basic compound exercises with high volume training. 4x8-12 and about 4-6 exercises per body part making sure that you lift heavy. That's pretty much it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer/Group Fitness Instructor
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • BigMike915
    BigMike915 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Regarding number of calories per day - Do your calculations to work out roughly what your maintenance calories are then add around 500. Then just monitor it over a couple of weeks and adjust from there.

Regarding exercise - cardio will detriment your muscle gains so unless it is something that you particularly love or is more important to you, I would suggest cutting down the amount you do. When I am on a bulking cycle I do literally NO cardio at all.

I don't know what P90X is, but unless it is having you lifting heavy then it's probably not helping either. Programmes like those seem to be mainly aiming at fat burning which isn't an issue for you.

Get on the free weights and lift heavy. Squats, Deadlifts, RDLs, Bench Press, Chin ups, Shoulder presses, Rows, etc etc...
    Do weight enough that you can do between 8 and 12 reps for 3 sets. Probably 7 or so exercises per session - should take 45-60 minutes, more than that starts to be a waste of time really. As soon as you can do 12 reps at a particular weight, up it so you can only do 8, then work up to 12 reps again etc etc....

Plenty of rest is important also. The most important bit is nutrition though. If you don't eat enough it doesn't matter how well you work out, you won't see results. Think of building a house. It doesn't matter how good a job you do - if you don't have enough materials that house won't get any bigger...

For me on a bulking cycle I eat, do weights and sleep. No running/football/other sports. Or if I do those other sports, then I'm weighing it against the fact my gains will suffer.

Great post! OP, follow these guidelines and you will gain muscle. Eating more then maintenance is what freaks people out. They think they will gain all there fat back, but that's the key to building muscle. Eat well, including protein, lift heavy, and rest plenty. Easy as that!
  • dasblondie
    dasblondie Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jsvlad
    Options
    hello ninerbuff

i appreciate your very direct and informative information.

i am trying to get much more serious about putitng on weight.

i am sick of being "skinny" although i do like being muscular.
    i decided i am going to try and join a gym bc with p90x i just simply can't get the weight resistance. tony horton recommends doing 25 reps of squats (body weight) 25 reps of pushups etc...

anyways i made a post of BodyBuilding.com and i still can't get a straight answer as to how to calculate my calories.

i think every thursday/friday ill weigh myself and see whats going on.

My fitness pal website gave me this:

NUTRITIONAL GOALS TARGET
    Net Calories Consumed* / Day 2,450 Calories / Day
    Carbs / Day 337 g
    Fat / Day 82 g
    Protein / Day 92 g

which is...
    carbs = 337* 4 = 1348
    fat = 82*4 = 328
    protein = 92*4 = 368
    total of .. 2044 calories..
    which is short of 2450 ??
    they want a ratio for carbs fat protein of about... 4: 1 : 1..

i selected to gain 1 pound per week.
    i weigh 145 pounds which means i should get
    1.5*145 = 217.5 g of protein
    220 *4 = 880 calories
    3000 - 880 = 2200 calories.
    ill try to spread it between carbs/fats and try to keep it a ratio of 3:1.. that is ..
    3/4*2200 = 1650 /4 = 412g carbs
    1/4*2200 = 550 / 4 = 137.5 g of fat.

how does that soud..
    217 g 880 cal of protein
    412 g 1650 cal of carbs
    137 g 550 cal of fat..

generally speaking i eat cleanly - whole grains, avoid junk food, lots of fruits and veggies and i eat healthy fats- LOTS OF NUTS and avocados etc.
    i think ill start adding 3% milk to my diet.

thank you so much to everybody!
    looking forward to ur responses!
  • chrishgt4
    Options
    hello ninerbuff

i appreciate your very direct and informative information.

i am trying to get much more serious about putitng on weight.

i am sick of being "skinny" although i do like being muscular.
    i decided i am going to try and join a gym bc with p90x i just simply can't get the weight resistance. tony horton recommends doing 25 reps of squats (body weight) 25 reps of pushups etc...

anyways i made a post of BodyBuilding.com and i still can't get a straight answer as to how to calculate my calories.

i think every thursday/friday ill weigh myself and see whats going on.

My fitness pal website gave me this:

NUTRITIONAL GOALS TARGET
    Net Calories Consumed* / Day 2,450 Calories / Day
    Carbs / Day 337 g
    Fat / Day 82 g
    Protein / Day 92 g

which is...
    carbs = 337* 4 = 1348
    fat = 82*4 = 328
    protein = 92*4 = 368
    total of .. 2044 calories..
    which is short of 2450 ??
    they want a ratio for carbs fat protein of about... 4: 1 : 1..

i selected to gain 1 pound per week.
    i weigh 145 pounds which means i should get
    1.5*145 = 217.5 g of protein
    220 *4 = 880 calories
    3000 - 880 = 2200 calories.
    ill try to spread it between carbs/fats and try to keep it a ratio of 3:1.. that is ..
    3/4*2200 = 1650 /4 = 412g carbs
    1/4*2200 = 550 / 4 = 137.5 g of fat.

how does that soud..
    217 g 880 cal of protein
    412 g 1650 cal of carbs
    137 g 550 cal of fat..

generally speaking i eat cleanly - whole grains, avoid junk food, lots of fruits and veggies and i eat healthy fats- LOTS OF NUTS and avocados etc.
    i think ill start adding 3% milk to my diet.

thank you so much to everybody!
    looking forward to ur responses!

Fat is circa 9kcal/g, not 4.

spreadsheet I made for myself - feel free to play with it
    Fill in the highlighted bits.

http://goo.gl/dYHyK
  • jsvlad
    Options
    i like your spread sheet.
    very nice

can u explain this??

1.5 g/lb LBM
    35 Fat %age

what does that mean?
  • chrishgt4
    Options
    i like your spread sheet.
    very nice

can u explain this??

1.5 g/lb LBM
    35 Fat %age

what does that mean?

Hi,

It's where you choose how many grams of protein you want per lb of LBM and the fat %age is where you input what proportion of your macros you want to come from fat.
  • paulwgun
    paulwgun Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    bump to read later