Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

100 carbs a day healthy?

Arexxx
Arexxx Posts: 486 Member
Seriously, I see people saying they eat below 20 carbs a day and it's scary. Thats not even enought for a lettuce and tomato whole grain sandwich..

Will I still lose weight if I eat 100ish carbs a day? The way I see it, thats enough for a sandwich, veggies, fruit and milk with my coffee

I'm 18 and in school, so I dont need the light headedness that comes with extreme low carb diets =]

Replies

• suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Seriously, I see people saying they eat below 20 carbs a day and it's scary. Thats not even enought for a lettuce and tomato whole grain sandwich..

Will I still lose weight if I eat 100ish carbs a day? The way I see it, thats enough for a sandwich, veggies, fruit and milk with my coffee

I'm 18 and in school, so I dont need the light headedness that comes with extreme low carb diets =]

You don't have to do low carb to lose weight.
  • emmalecras
    emmalecras Posts: 79 Member
    I saw a dietician and she recommended that I consume 50% of my calories from carbs. Have been doing so for about 4 monhs and the weight is coming off.
  • bluemist248
    bluemist248 Posts: 207 Member
    I have around 200g of carbs a day (set to 50%) and I've lost weight perfectly fine. Low-carb might work for some people but it certainly doesn't work for everyone. I'd feel too moody and tired to carry on with a low-carb diet and I'd just gain the weight back the second I began eating my preferred amount of carbs again.
  • stephl21uk
    stephl21uk Posts: 123 Member
    People eat low carb as it helps to burn body fat but I tried to eat under 60g and it's hard and very expensive as you have to eat a lot of fresh meat (0g of carbs) I read that between 100-150g is healthy but make sure you exercise as that is what you burn. ALL carbs are turned in to sugar so if you eat excessive amounts (over 150) you will up ur body fat %, carbs can't make you gain weight tho! I eat around 100g aday and I've list weight steadily since beginning of feb and I've never had a single week of gaining weight xx
    P.s the more you exercise the more carbs you need so if you work out loads its fine to go over the 150gs!!
  • wilkyway
    wilkyway Posts: 151
    Low Carb is one of a million APPROACHES to weightloss. It's not THE ultimate key to weightloss. Works for many, some ppl tend to be more carb sensitive than others. Everyone is different!
    If you do not feel comfortable with a small amount of carbs, then it's probably not for you :-)
    Don let anything like this worry you. Stick to what feels right, eat healthy whole foods, don't starve yourself and exercise regularly.

I remember what school was like when I was 18. Had some major exams so I HAD to eat plenty to keep me fueled, and to be honest, as long as it was healthy, I didn't give a ****e about carbs and was as slim as ever.

For the record, I eat between 100-200g a day, sometimes maybe more, depends. It works, not gaining fat ;-)

So, if your diet is healthy and balanced and you workout, you should be fine :-)
  • Arexxx
    Arexxx Posts: 486 Member
    Thank you guys for the input ^_^
    I was beginning to think I was doing something horribly wrong :|
  • Kell_Smurthwaite
    Kell_Smurthwaite Posts: 384 Member
    I eat anything between 150g and 250g of carbs on any given day, and try to get in around 100g of protein (sometimes I get a little more, sometimes it's a fair bit less) and have dropped 30lbs since the end of February.

I tend to burn around 400-500 cals per day on a rest day, and somewhere around 800+ cals on a work out day, I go to the gym 3 times a week and work mostly on weights while I'm there (just a little cardio thrown in to warm up and cool down before and after my sessions).

I tend to load up on carbs the day before my gym session and load up on proteins on gym days. I didn't conciously do that - it's just a pattern I've noticed.

I say find what works for you and stick withit as long as it continues to work. If it stops working, change things around a little, try something new, and find something else that works. Don't be afraid to experiment and don't be afraid of carbs - they are an essential part of your eating plan, along with all the others parts (including fat! Good fats are, well, good!).
  • fitnwhole
    fitnwhole Posts: 227
    bump
  • For the majority of the population, a male who is 170 pounds and lower or woman who is 150 pounds and lower should each be eating at least 100g carbs a day, with adding 5 more carbs for every 10 pounds over that weight and 25 more for every 30 minutes of easier exercise (jogging, endurance work, etc.) exercise or 40g for every half an hour of intense exercise (heavy free weights, sprinting, etc) for that day of eating. Let's take me for example, I'm a 230 pound male who works out for about an hour and a half on a workout day, on these days I'd do about half an hour of light exercise for my warmup and cooldown, then an hour of hard, heavy lifting. This would mean that I'd want to consume 235g of carbs for that day to keep my liver and thyroid in peak condition and increasing fat burning capabilities :) Oh also, males over 35% bodyfat and females over 40% should use their LBM (lean body mass) instead of their actual weight. For protein needs, males - 1g per pound of bodyweight, and females - 0.75g per pound will suffice for most people, and then simply fill in extra calories with fat, but again, there's a minimum to keep hormones healthy and working properly. Males - 0.4g per pound of bodyweight and Females - 0.3g per pound. Note that the per pound rule does again go out if you're over the body fat percentage I stated earlier, which means it's back to the LBM :) So, for another example, a 160 pound female who jogs for an hour each day would want to hit these numbers in her diet:
    120g of Protein
    160g of Carbs
    At least 48g of Fat (add more to reach fullness)

And a 200 pound male on a sedentary day:
    200g of Protein
    115g of Carbs
    At least 80g of Fat (add more to reach fullness)

Ok, done now :) Oh crap, almost forgot fiber. Try to hit about 30g of fiber each day. So yeah, avoid wheat, eat your required macronutrients for the day, get your fiber in, and enjoy the spoils of fat loss :D You'll be losing about 1-2 pounds a week if you've got a bit to lose, and about 0.5 pounds a week if you're already skinny and looking to get crazy lean Haha