Healthy alternatives to sandwiches?

Options
Barkley87
Barkley87 Posts: 126 Member
Does anyone have any healthy alternatives to sandwiches that I can make for lunch? I'm trying to cut bread out of my diet but I have no idea what I can have instead. I work in an office so it can't be a meal that has to be cooked etc. Thank you!

Replies

• SouthernSkylark
    SouthernSkylark Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Oatcakes or ryvita with Humous/ cream cheese/ mashed avocado / peanut butter etc.... I actually prefer these now to sandwiches ( can be a bit messy though lol)
  • xJenBenx
    xJenBenx Posts: 12
    Options
    Im having the same problem! I love my sandwiches, I really dont know what to do be doing, lunch is the only meal I struggle with!
    Im gonna try cooking a chicken fillet the night before and maybe put it in a salad as itll be a bit more filling
  • xAdrianax
    xAdrianax Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I have wraps or wholemeal pitta breads!
  • denisekh88
    denisekh88 Posts: 53
    Options
    I use lettuce wraps instead of bread. I usually use romaine...it gives the sandwich a nice crunchiness and very little carbs :)
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Sandwich thins are fewer calories and aren't bad. You can get multigrain or wheat. If you are cutting bread out b/c of the calories.

Or I've seen lettuce used in place of bread.

My daughter eats lunch meat without the bread, she just skips it. You could try that - just roll lunch meat and cheese? Or ate a salad instead?
  • AnneriSteyn
    Options
    I replaced bread with Pyotts' Rye crackerbread. Beware though that it may get soggy if you make a tomato and lettuce cracker (for e.g.), so rather eat it with any spreads you prefer, or keep whatever you want to eat on it separate until you eat it. They are quite low on calories.

An alternative that I use are Matzo crackers. They're a bit higher in calories, but delicious!

Hope this helps.
  • lolliehead
    lolliehead Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to a microwave? I've been making soup on the weekends, freezing it and zapping it at work. Great for the cold weather. Yum.
  • Barkley87
    Barkley87 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your replies. I'm going to go shopping tonight and try some of these out this week!
  • Fit_Forever25
    Fit_Forever25 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Oatcakes or ryvita crisp breads are really low calorie compared to bread I have recently started Oatcakes and I love them :D
    Also Rice cakes are very low calorie and you can try them with low fat hummous or may be prepare some salads and mix it with beans or Soy nuggets or have those crackers with low fat cottage cheese it will be low in carbs and high in protein options
    Good luck and enjoy ur meals :D
  • angiechimpanzee
    angiechimpanzee Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I understand cutting out white breads and refined grains/sugars, but why cut out bread entirely if it can be whole grain & low in calories? I use sandwich thins or bagel thins now, and for 100 calories, 5 grams of fiber, and 6 grams of protein a piece, they are freaking wonderful.
  • Altruista75
    Altruista75 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Have you ever thought about making your own bread? I use my bread machine to make mine so that I can control what goes in it. I add different seeds/grains to mine to give me the fiber & protein boost that I'm looking for without feeling guilty for consuming bread.