low FODMAP diet

Options
alexsmith01
alexsmith01 Posts: 350 Member
Hi everybody,
Is anyone here following a low FODMAP diet? Note this isn't a weight loss diet - it's a diet to cut out foods that trigger "tummy problems" for some people.
I'm thinking about starting it next week, and trialling it for a month to see if it helps me feel better. I haven't been able to be breath tested, so I am going to follow it fairly strictly for a month, then try add one food type back for a month, and note any symptoms, then remove and add repeat with each of the different food types.

If anyone is currently following this, can you pretty please add me as a friend so I can see your diary? And if anyone has any helpful resources online or any recommendations for books or anything, please pm me?

Note also that I am a vegetarian (Pescatarian, eat fish but no other meat).

Thanks!
Alex

Replies

• alexsmith01
    Options
    Bump
  • alexsmith01
    Options
    Bump
  • alexsmith01
    Options
    Bump - Anyone???
  • momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Me! I am still in the process of figuring it out though. I found out a week ago that I have Ibs, and it sucks. So far I have cut out (most) caffeine, fats/oils, etc. I'm also a new vegetation. Steak and bacon were major triggers, and my favorite meats, so I just gave it up all together.

Feel free to friend me, or dig through my diary, but it's not pretty right now lol.
  • alexsmith01
    Options
    Awesome adding you now :)
  • siobhano_
    siobhano_ Posts: 101
    Options
    I'm due to see a dietician and start the low fodmap diet on June 13th for my IBS :)
  • StephNE500
    StephNE500 Posts: 14
    Options
    This is the site where I first heard about fodmaps: http://www.hungryhungryhippie.com/lets-talk-fodmaps/

I had already figured out my triggers before reading about it, but it would have been helpful! I don't eat any animal products, soy or wheat. And I eat very little added cane sugar and oil. I feel like a new person as a result... never realized how sick I had felt before and what the Standard American Diet was doing to me. Good luck and hope this site helps!
  • alexsmith01
    Options
    Adding you guys! Thanks for the website link.

Yeah I'd love to see a dietician and get my breath tested and stuff - but just not possible at the moment!
  • alexsmith01
    Options
    This is the site where I first heard about fodmaps: http://www.hungryhungryhippie.com/lets-talk-fodmaps/

I had already figured out my triggers before reading about it, but it would have been helpful! I don't eat any animal products, soy or wheat. And I eat very little added cane sugar and oil. I feel like a new person as a result... never realized how sick I had felt before and what the Standard American Diet was doing to me. Good luck and hope this site helps!

Hoping to discover the same things! It's not just IBS, it's also sometimes my brain feels fuzzy and I can't think straight, and I get headaches, and feel really lethargic - and it usually happens around the same time my IBS is playing up - my IBS isn't as bad as some people I've heard off, but combined with the other symptoms I feel like crap. Fingers crossed!

To try fix myself I first went vegan, and then I tried gluten free - neither worked on their own - so not sure if lactose or wheat are my issues, may just be fructose - but then again because I only did one at a time, they could still have had an affect on me, but when I cut them out I was still getting symptoms from other foods - hence why I am going to still cut them out for the first month.
  • KenCarden
    KenCarden Posts: 3
    Options
    I found out about FODMAPs last October and it works for me.

Ditto on the Hungry Hippy.

There are several other sites as well that have very good information:

http://www.cassandraforsythe.com/blog/Complete+FODMAP+List+For+a+Happy+Gut
    http://fodmapdietrecipes.wordpress.com/2011/12/03/a-low-fodmap-holiday-spiced-pickled-cranberries/
    http://www.candidrd.com/2011/12/three-years-after-starting-low-fodmap.html

You have the right idea - eat small meals and don't add more than one suspect food at a time in a meal. You can often tolerate small amounts of a particular FODMAP, but if you add in another it has a synergistic effect.

Good luck, but having found out about FODMAPs, you're on your way to a healthy tummy.

BTW, Between IBS and Myfitnesspal I have lost 29 lbs.
  • alexsmith01
    Options
    Hungry Hippie is amazing! Ken - will note down those other websites to check out when I get home from work - thank you!!!
  • SeanFitnessPal
    SeanFitnessPal Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi - I've been on a version of the FODMAPS on and off for about a year. First few months were not great....couldn't get a handle on triggers. Now though I feel its really helping. I'd say 60-75% improvement.

Glad to see there are others out there! Hope you don't mind if I add you all?
  • momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Hi - I've been on a version of the FODMAPS on and off for about a year. First few months were not great....couldn't get a handle on triggers. Now though I feel its really helping. I'd say 60-75% improvement.

Glad to see there are others out there! Hope you don't mind if I add you all?

What did you find were your triggers in the end? Where they all off the FODMAP diet? I'm having the same issue, I have things almost under control but something is still bothering me and I can't figure out what it is. Its pretty frustrating.

Feel free to add me!