Help have no idea???

Options
Hello,
I have just brought myself a treadmill and have no idea where to start?

I weight 244 lbs i consume 1500 cals per day on average and that is my preference (yer i could up it but i dnt want to ;))

My question is how should i break myself in as a beginner, i have not used one before.

how fast and how long? i don't want to over do myself or cause an injury but i do want to push myself as i am aiming for a 2 lbs loss per week.

how many days a week shall i use the treadmill?

Many Thanks.

Also please add for motivation :) i know i am in need of it :)

I am also new to this.

Replies

• alhod3
    alhod3 Posts: 7
    Options
    Congrats, that's a big investment, so I hope it works well.

If you google 'target heart rate zones' many sites will calculate the optimum range for you to aim for when running/walking. Often starting out as walking with intervals of jogging is best for a beginner wanting to lose weight I hear, otherwise you may, like you said, do an injury or get major DOMS and regret ever getting the thing.

If you're really serious about longer distances, you could download the free C25K podcasts, which are designed specifically for new runners to build up to, and that way you already have a set plan, you won't need to worry about making one up yourself!

Good luck with it.
  • FerryfieldLad
    FerryfieldLad Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Hey

I use NHS Couch to 5K - gets you from a couch potato to running 5k in 9 weeks. It's a podcast you can download and all you do is follow what you are told through your MP3 player.

http://www.nhs.uk/LiveWell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx
  • agray58
    agray58 Posts: 7
    Options
    sounds like good advice there and I wish you all the best with your goal. We're all here for you if you need us - just shout if you need motiviation. x
  • FerryfieldLad
    FerryfieldLad Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Hey

I used NHS Couch to 5K - gets you from a couch potato to running 5k in 9 weeks. It's a podcast you can download and all you do is follow what you are told through your MP3 player.

http://www.nhs.uk/LiveWell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx

PS - its a 30 minute work out at least three times per week, and I am losing around 2lbs per week using this and watching my food...
  • sam4life
    sam4life Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    thanks all :)
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    +1 on couch to 5k
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    I was given a treadmill about a week or 2 ago.. The screen doesn't work so well so I use http://42.195km.net/e/treadsim/ to figure out calories burned.. I started out doing 20 mins on day about 25 the next then 27 now I'll got 30 mins, get off do other exercises then get back on for 10-17 more minutes =) I'm not running the whole time.. usually walking but I do intervals of running. Hopefully I'll be able to run the full 30 mins soon O.o
  • Mtroyce
    Mtroyce Posts: 4
    Options
    Congratulations. I would recommend you set time targets. Determine a schedule (every other day, every day, twice a day, two days on - one day off, or three days on - one day off. (you get the picture). Set a schedule. If you fall off schedule (life happens), get back on that schedule. Don't blow a week off because a schedule gets interrupted. Be realistic with time. I would recommend a 30 minute walk pace for first month. Maybe second month start short sequences where you increase the pace (jog?) for a short time - 30-60 seconds to get your heart/breathing rate up. I believe if you want to be be real, take baby steps. As your body becomes conditioned your body will beckon you to push a bit more. Make your workout a habit, a routine. Dennis