new

Options
hi, i'm jessica! i'm 21 and i've been struggling with my weight all my life. it's literally all i think about. i try and try and try to diet but nothing ever works. so now i'm just going to choose to eat healthy and hopefully i stick with it!
i was just wondering, how do you deal with cravings? at my work, there's a mcdonalds in the freaking parking lot! so you can imagine how my salad in the lunchroom looks compared to a yummy burger when it's time for my break. i can't shake that feeling that i should just go, and start it tomorrow, but once tomorrow comes i'm at it again.
also, what do you have for breakfast on the go?

Replies

• jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    If you are craving McDonalds, just go do some research on the 'nutritional value' of that burger you are going to eat rather than the vitamins, minerals, etc. that will come from your healthier lunch. Usually the knowledge of what I am about to put in my body when I am having a craving helps me find a healthier option.

For a breakfast on the go you can get whole wheat english muffins, some egg whites/egg beaters, and some ham and make your own healthier version of the Egg McMuffin. Make five of them on a Sunday, freeze/refridgerate them and just pop them in the microwave when you need them and you have your healthy breakfast on the go. Also, protein shakes, fruit smoothies, etc. may be a good option. A little research online will help you find ingredients you like that will help you meet your goals. Good luck.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    You could just think of the fact that your not even eating meat when you go to McDonalds. Well maybe there is about 30% actual beef in one of the burgers the rest of the **** is just gross fillers.

Watch Food Inc might change your mind about eating fast food.
    Also go on youtube and search for "pink slime"

As for breakfast, make something the night before ? Boiling eggs takes about 15mins and grab a piece of fruit or 2 for breakfast.
    Welcome to MFP
  • honeyb7
    honeyb7 Posts: 45
    Options
    So glad you are starting this journey now. My best advice is to start reading and researching healthy things. For instance, to get my brain in gear to help with all the changes I would have to make I read: Change Anything, the science behind personal success by Kerry Patterson, Next I read, Wheat Belly by Dr. William Davis, then Change your Brain, Change your Body by Dr. Daniel Amen and then I read, The 21-Day Essential Guide to Healing your Body, Mind and Spirit by Kathy Freston.

I did not do the 21-day cleanse since she recommends that you read the whole book first before you do the cleanse. So even if you do not follow everything to a T, you now have information to guide your decisions and the food you put into your body and why you are making those choices. I spent this past year reading them, so don't feel like you have to do them all at once. Do I make wrong food choices still? Sure do! But, I am very aware of what I will need to do in order to stay on track.

Exercise was difficult to do on a regular basis but once I started I really could see a difference after 3 weeks. I never was one to exercise and so I started with a 10 minute commitment each day. I was stiff and out of shape. Just for 10 minutes I figured I could do some yoga stretches to help me become more flexible. After doing that for 4 months, I was amazed at the difference it made, mentally and physically. I used to think I had to work out strenuously for 30-45 minutes everyday to lose but I didn't! Just that 10 minutes and making a few changes, like walking up stairs instead of elevator, or parking further away or taking a 10 minute walk at lunch, all these things started adding up.

Surround yourself with people who support you too! Like any behavior you are trying to change, you need support. Which joining MFP is a great start and is the reason why I feel I have been so successful! People are well intentioned but they do not have to live your life in your body. So think about the consequences when giving into friends requests to get off track of your goals.

Prepare your meals ahead, know what you want to eat and eat that. Keep healthy snacks at hand (almonds, pistachios or an apple and peanut butter) for cravings. If you overeat these things they have far less consequences than eating that burger. Plus, the healthy snacks won't raise your blood sugar and cause that crash you feel when you get tired and then are hungry for more. This is the cycle that I battle with sweet things all the time!

So be proud that you are taking back your life and know that you can enjoy food without being a slave to it! Knowledge is power and gives you what you need to be successful!

Many Blessings to you!
    :smile:
  • 1SAB31
    1SAB31 Posts: 2
    Options
    it all starts with being determined. your strength comes with in and how badly u want to lose weight. Stick to your healthy foods and dont look at it as diet. Start saying its a life style. Give your self a treat at the end of the week but be careful u dont want to endulge. I usually break out a good sweat and burn some calories before or after i have my cheat. Make homemade meals instead of fast foods.Even so called healthy meals in restaurants have tons of calories. Exercise. Cardio and strength training is going to help alot. I have found that fitness pal has helped keep me motivated because i can see my calorie intake and when i see that im almost done with my calories for the day and i cant have me a snack, it motivates me to exercise. The more i exercise the more calories i can have.but keep in mind the good calories.I drink green tea with red and purple antioxidants.At night i drink it as well but without caffeine. That will boost your metabolism. I also drink my B vitamins...faithfully. It takes great effort but the out come is worth it.u are going to feel great. its a process. I use to weigh 190lbs and now i am at 136. I took me 3 years to loose it. Slowly but surely. you dont want to lose weight fast because then youll have alot of hanging skin. Toning is essential. I use my own body weight at times. I really hope u can find that inner strength and begin your new journey. be a world changer. While people are having their McDonalds you can have yourself a healthy hamburger.It can be lean or even a veggie burger. I love them! Its all about how well u dress it up with all the good stuff. In no time youll be a motivator to other. Thats how it works. You can do it!