Iron/B-12 Deficiency Possibility? Please help.

Options
I am looking for advice/opinions on what I should do.

I have not been diagnosed, but I am pretty sure that I have Iron/B-12 deficiency. I do not eat any meat except fish, and that isn't often. Every other dayish.

I have a lot of the symptoms of these deficiencies and even some of the symptoms of anemia, which is caused by these deficiencies.

I know what you're thinking: Then just take supplements.

The problem is, I have IBS-C. Every time I take Iron supplements, that "C" gets even worst. I already take B-12 supplements but it doesn't seem to be making an improvement with symptoms, only with energy.

I am hoping that someone else has dealt with these deficiencies before and can give me advice on what I could eat as a pescetarian to help, because I am really starting to worry as the symptoms are worsening.

What used to be just chapped lips, has become cheilitis. I am also developing mouth ulcers.

What used to be brittle nails are now kind of yellowy nails.

Also, my hair is getting really thin. No patches (yet), but I am worried.

Please don't make any negative comments. I really want some help.

Replies

• momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Please go see a doctor. You need to be tested for those deficiancies to see if you have them, and if you do the doctor will tell you what you need to do to take care of them. You don't want to mess around with iron supplements if you don't need them, and if you are having mouth ulcers, that is a serious thing. That is no anemia. GO TO THE DOCTOR. Please.
  • LiberatedJenn
    Options
    I do not have health insurance and am frankly fed up with doctors. I am dealing with ER debt right now. The other day I was having heart pains but I refuse to go to the ER. They do NOT take me seriously because I am young and because I don't have insurance.

I did pay to see a regular doctor who told me what I already knew and then told me to buy this over counter medicine that I had already been taking so it was a waste of money!

I don't have that kind of money to waste. I appreciate your comment though I know you meant well, but I am over doctors. They have never helped me.

I much prefer someone who is also has a limited meat diet, who can give me advice for FREE.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Not sure with your issues if you can eat breakfast cereals, but at least some of them are fortified with minerals and vitamins including B12 and iron.

http://www.kelloggs.com/en_US/the-benefits-of-cereal/how-to-read-a-nutrition-label.html
  • LiberatedJenn
    Options
    Thanks. I love cereal, as my food diary will show lol.

I have been trying to stick with gluten free cereals because they give me less IBS problems, however, I much rather be constipated, bloated and gassy than bald, pale with oral ulcers.

I always loved kellogs cereals. I will have to check them out to see which ones have the most iron and b-12.
  • Embera
    Embera Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    i thought i had it when i was younger ... still do when they drew my blood for donations i didnt have highenough iron to do it. but anyway i dont take pills i always forgit so im not gonna try suplements i looked it up and red meat has alot of iron but i know u dont eat that alor of dark green vegies do to just look up foods with high iron content and eat them i had a list once but i think i lost it so google it and see what ou need i wish you luck
  • tistal
    tistal Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Last month my hair and nails were a wreck. My hair is normally very very thick and it got so thin that it was actually noticeable. I started taking Biotin daily and the hair loss has significantly slowed and my nails look better after about 3 weeks of taking it. That is about all the help I have to offer! Hope you find the answers you are looking for!
  • heatherrose86
    heatherrose86 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    If you are taking hormonal birth control it can prevent your b-12 receptors from absorbing b-12 from food and supplements. b-12 levels would show up fine in a blood test, but you will not actually be absorbing any of it.

It's not an "authoritative source", but sometimes personal experience can help. This article really opened by eyes.
    http://www.xojane.com/it-happened-me/it-happened-me-i-had-b-12-deficiency

PS. B-12 deficiency is NO fun :( It can take a while to get back to normal levels.
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I'm not a doctor but a molecular biologist for the record. Your symptoms may still be symptoms of something other than vitamin/mineral deficiency (like pernicious anemia) or they may be an underlying factor (bacterial overgrowth or some medications used) which inhibits your B12 and/or iron absorption. Hence if you have the opportunity, you really should see a doctor. Or if you can cover/have such an option, get a blood count for hematocrit, hemoglobin and ferritin.

That said, you're not limited to meat when it comes to iron. Lentils, black /kidney /lima /soy beans, oats, tofu, even bread are good sources of iron (actually some vegetable sources like beans are better than any meat).

If you are pesceterian for a long time, even though B12 deficiency due to depletion is a rare condition in adults, it is still possible in your case. There are some nutritional yeasts fortified with B12 for vegans which you can use, you need to make sure to buy the fortified ones though. Milk, cheese and eggs are B12 sources as well but extremely poor ones compared to, for example, liver.

Try integrating these to your diet, but if you are consuming those iron sources generously and taking B12 supplements for a couple of weeks now and still have these symptoms, then you must consider seeing a doctor.
  • cressievargo
    cressievargo Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    what about a prenatal vitamin? (Not sure how that will work with your other health issues). They are pretty high in a lot of things...and they usually make your hair / nails look great!
  • goldengirl28
    goldengirl28 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    go to the Drs' i have a b12 deficiancy and i have to have a jab every 8 weeks as even though i eat the right things my body doesn't absorb B12.

They can do a blood test and they will tell you if you are deficient. and will treat you.

Sorry just seen your post about Drs and Insurance, so not sure what else to suggest.

PS: i dont suffer from thin hair/poor nails etc thats not the symptons for b12 deficiency, i have spacial awareness/speech issues/zero energy and coordination problems when i'm low..
    my hubby says its a little like i'm drunk and everythings is slow and measured. like i know what word i want to say, i just can't get my brain to tell my mouth how to say it :)
  • LiberatedJenn
    Options
    Last month my hair and nails were a wreck. My hair is normally very very thick and it got so thin that it was actually noticeable. I started taking Biotin daily and the hair loss has significantly slowed and my nails look better after about 3 weeks of taking it. That is about all the help I have to offer! Hope you find the answers you are looking for!

I will have to check out biotin. As long as it doesn't cause constipation, I don't see why not! I have even heard benefits of weight loss with it.
  • LiberatedJenn
    Options
    If you are taking hormonal birth control it can prevent your b-12 receptors from absorbing b-12 from food and supplements. b-12 levels would show up fine in a blood test, but you will not actually be absorbing any of it.

It's not an "authoritative source", but sometimes personal experience can help. This article really opened by eyes.
    http://www.xojane.com/it-happened-me/it-happened-me-i-had-b-12-deficiency

PS. B-12 deficiency is NO fun :( It can take a while to get back to normal levels.

I am not taking birth control.
  • LiberatedJenn
    Options
    I'm not a doctor but a molecular biologist for the record. Your symptoms may still be symptoms of something other than vitamin/mineral deficiency (like pernicious anemia) or they may be an underlying factor (bacterial overgrowth or some medications used) which inhibits your B12 and/or iron absorption. Hence if you have the opportunity, you really should see a doctor. Or if you can cover/have such an option, get a blood count for hematocrit, hemoglobin and ferritin.

That said, you're not limited to meat when it comes to iron. Lentils, black /kidney /lima /soy beans, oats, tofu, even bread are good sources of iron (actually some vegetable sources like beans are better than any meat).

If you are pesceterian for a long time, even though B12 deficiency due to depletion is a rare condition in adults, it is still possible in your case. There are some nutritional yeasts fortified with B12 for vegans which you can use, you need to make sure to buy the fortified ones though. Milk, cheese and eggs are B12 sources as well but extremely poor ones compared to, for example, liver.

Try integrating these to your diet, but if you are consuming those iron sources generously and taking B12 supplements for a couple of weeks now and still have these symptoms, then you must consider seeing a doctor.

I was actually considering trying to donate blood just to get my blood checked. That may give me an idea of whether or not I'm really deficient. I will truly have to be dying to go to the doctor, and even then, if i am already dying, there isn't much they can do. That sounds extreme, but so are these ER bills.

Unfortunately, I can't eat dairy, bread and beans because they SEVERELY trigger my IBS symptoms. I drink fortified soy milk milk for the calcium. I will have to check to see if they have any with iron or b-12.
  • LiberatedJenn
    Options
    go to the Drs' i have a b12 deficiancy and i have to have a jab every 8 weeks as even though i eat the right things my body doesn't absorb B12.

They can do a blood test and they will tell you if you are deficient. and will treat you.

Sorry just seen your post about Drs and Insurance, so not sure what else to suggest.

PS: i dont suffer from thin hair/poor nails etc thats not the symptons for b12 deficiency, i have spacial awareness/speech issues/zero energy and coordination problems when i'm low..
    my hubby says its a little like i'm drunk and everythings is slow and measured. like i know what word i want to say, i just can't get my brain to tell my mouth how to say it :)

I am absent minded, have speech issues too, and fatigue. I wonder if it's because of that also? I just figured that was a part of my personality, lol.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I'm not a Dr. but.. my dad was diagnosed with a B-12 deficiency and he had to get shots for it. If you truly have it, you are lacking an enzyme in your stomach that metabolizes it and you'll never get enough by eating more foods or taking supplements. You seriously need to see a Dr. since it also causes permanent nerve damage.

As for iron, google iron-rich foods. Even spinach has iron in it.
  • LiberatedJenn
    Options
    Wow, while checking on Biotin, I found that calcium causes constipation too. Damnit, seems like no matter what I eat I can't avoid that.

Well, I will try to take Biotin I guess.
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    I agree....You need to see a Dr. We are not doctors.....and getting advice from us is crazy. It's your life take care for yourself : )
  • LiberatedJenn
    Options
    I googled the iron list and I eat all of those veggies almost daily so. . . maybe it's just the b-12, which doesn't make sense because I've been taking these supplements for months (though not always every day. I may forget some times)

Thanks for all the responses!
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    You should see a doctor. With a severe deficiency, you won't be taking over the counter supplements.
  • SweetSammie
    SweetSammie Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Luna bars have both iron and b-12. I used to have horrible dry skin (as in the skin on my hands would split and bleed), and after adding more fats to my diet, it has improved greatly. (Avocados, olive oil, a little butter, fish oil supplement, whole fat, or 2% dairy, free range eggs).