Greens..

Options
TrailRunner61
TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
What are your favorite 'greens' and how do you prepare them. I'm from the midwest and we typically prefer corn and potatoes. I have a garden and can plant anything.

Healthy stuff please. Thank you!

Replies

• renku
    renku Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    From a garden some of my favorites are Green Beans, Peas and Tomatoes.

Tomatoes and Strawberrys grown in the dirt from a real garden taste so different from the greenhouse ones you normally buy in the grocery store.
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Swiss chard or dandelion greens. Fresh in a salad. Kale is decent too ...steamed or sauteed
  • jjblogs
    jjblogs Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    baby spinach and kale. i put them in my smoothies...yummers.
  • 1smemae94
    1smemae94 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I like growing peas, lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers and strawberries.
  • erinjanemcx
    Options
    rhubarb is great for growing in the garden ! and so so healthy!
  • MidnightRadio
    MidnightRadio Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    My favourite side side is steamed spinach with olive oil and lemon juice. So delicious.
  • redcat17
    redcat17 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Spinach, Kale, Swiss Chard, Mustard Greens, and Collards (I'm from the South).

I eat spinach and kale the most. Spinach I throw into smoothies raw, or make a salad with it. It is also good sauteed in a little olive oil with garlic. Kale can be steamed or sauteed, or made into kale chips. Almost any greens can be steamed or sauteed. Just don't cook them too much. You want them to be bright green for the most nutrition.
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    mustard greens steamed with garlic and onion...so way yummy!
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I already grow tomatoes, strawberries, grapes, apples, red onions, sweet potatoes, spinach, mesclun, green beans and various peppers. I know that dark, leafy greens are full of nutrients and I need to know what to grow and how to prepare it.

Thanks!
  • RGonVSH
    RGonVSH Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I grew in the Southwest, so I totally understand the corn and potatoes thing. LOL... But since I moved to the Pacific NW, I have learned to eat greens with impunity.

Here are some of my favorites:

1) Any green (kale, turnip greens, or collards) steamed then served with pinto beans.
    2) Chard, cut into ribbons (as if making cole slaw), then add garbanzo beans, chopped dried apricots, chopped roasted red peppers, and a balsamic vinegarette dressing. A great salad.
    3) Collard greens, cut into ribbons (as if making a cole slaw), add a little green or purple cabbage, some shredded carrot, and raisins, then a cole slaw (light mayo & apple cidar vinegar) dressing. Another great salad.
    4) Lightly steamed Kale, cut into ribbons, and sauteed with brown mushrooms and onions. Serve with a poached egg on top if you like. It makes a great breakfast.

I have dozens of ways to eat greens. Here are just a few of them. If you want actual recipes, send me a friend request.
  • xlolitabandita
    Options
    Here in the south everyone likes collard, mustard, and turnip greens. My mother-in-law cooks them on the stove stop with apple cider vinegar.
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I <3 greens. Kale is great as chips (oven baked). I also like it cooked in a skillet, by itself or mixed with collards or spinach. Sometimes I throw some mushrooms in there. Mustard greens are great too. I am pretty simple so I usually just add some garlic/onion powder (real garlic/onion if I have it), salt, nutritional yeast. I like raw greens a lot too, so I eat all kinds of lettuces and spinach that way. I haven't tried kale raw yet, though you can do it. I'd like to do beet greens and carrot greens, but haven't yet.
  • inzkeeper
    inzkeeper Posts: 23
    Options
    My small city raised garden beds here in Canada are mostly spinach, lettuce and carrots. Home grown carrots do not compare in taste to the "woody" store things. My family won't eat those anymore, but I buy them for soups and such. There are also 12 peas, 12 corn, 4 zucchini, and 3 cucumber, rhubarb, radishes and beets etc. Anything fresh from the garden gets gobbled up and I figure I save about $350/yr in veggies. I'll be away later in the summer so I didn't plant finicky tomatoes this year.

Spinach and lettuces (romaine and buttercrunch) are my main crops and save me from $6-$10 per week, plush I know what is put on them (just compost mixed in, no chemicals).

I fall plant spinach, carrots and onions. The first crop of spinach is fully mature and we've been eating fresh for 2 weeks already!

Basically plant what you'd like to eat!
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I forgot the turnip greens. I almost never see those or mustard greens since I left the South.