Hyperventilating during crunches?

Options
Ok, for the last three months, I have been slowly working up from doing 6 crunches in a set to now about 22. (I'm using an app that increases the number every day, with a goal of 100 in a set.) Ever since I got close to doing 20 crunches, I started feeling dizzy around number 18. I used to have panic attacks, where I would hyperventilate, and that's EXACTLY what it feels like. It feels like I'm not getting enough air into my lungs -- no matter how deeply I try to breathe -- and after about 18 crunches the dizziness and flashes in front of my eyes start to set in. I'm not TIRED -- the exercise isn't too hard for me, and my muscles feel like I could keep going -- I just can't breathe. This does not happen when I jump rope, or when I do squats or push ups. I do not have asthma or anything like that, and I am certain that I'm not having panic attacks.

This is what I'm doing. As I go down, I breathe in. As I come up, and my diaphragm is compressed, I breathe out. While I'm up I count to three, then I breathe in as I go down. It does help if I stop every ten crunches and take a couple of deep breaths, but I want to be able to breathe and exercise at the same time! Help?

Replies

• honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I don't have any explanation or advice except maybe quit doing crunches and find another ab workout to do!
  • billcchilders
    billcchilders Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My suggestion would be to find other core training exercising such as bridges - the proper form of a crunch is very hard to ahcieve.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Ok, for the last three months, I have been slowly working up from doing 6 crunches in a set to now about 22. (I'm using an app that increases the number every day, with a goal of 100 in a set.) Ever since I got close to doing 20 crunches, I started feeling dizzy around number 18. I used to have panic attacks, where I would hyperventilate, and that's EXACTLY what it feels like. It feels like I'm not getting enough air into my lungs -- no matter how deeply I try to breathe -- and after about 18 crunches the dizziness and flashes in front of my eyes start to set in. I'm not TIRED -- the exercise isn't too hard for me, and my muscles feel like I could keep going -- I just can't breathe. This does not happen when I jump rope, or when I do squats or push ups. I do not have asthma or anything like that, and I am certain that I'm not having panic attacks.

This is what I'm doing. As I go down, I breathe in. As I come up, and my diaphragm is compressed, I breathe out. While I'm up I count to three, then I breathe in as I go down. It does help if I stop every ten crunches and take a couple of deep breaths, but I want to be able to breathe and exercise at the same time! Help?

Do planks, they're better anyways.
  • militarydreams
    militarydreams Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Bodyweight exercises past approximately 20 reps becomes quite aerobic. Is your cardio up together?
  • michelleepotter
    michelleepotter Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Hmm... I was considering switching to a kettlebell workout anyway (just because my husband bought one, and I hate to see it going to waste), so if the consensus is "stop doing crunches," I guess I will. I will also check out planks -- never done one before.
    Bodyweight exercises past approximately 20 reps becomes quite aerobic. Is your cardio up together?

I understood your first sentence, but I don't know what you are asking with the second one. :( Sorry.