is it ok to run if my legs are crazy sore.

Options
I went on a hike on saturday and my legs are still quite sore. Do you think its ok for me to do my couch25k today? Or should i wait a bit for the soreness to fade...?

Replies

• freezerburn2012
    freezerburn2012 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    How far are you into the program? You could go out and just make it an 'easy' pace for today. This might even help reduce the soreness in your legs.
  • stfuandrun
    stfuandrun Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Sometimes the best thing for soreness is exercise. Run nice and slow and take extra walk breaks if you need to. The day after a marathon, I run 1-2 miles at a super slow pace to work out the sore feeling. It really helps.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    If it's strictly sore, not painful, then yes you can give it a try and take it easy. If it hurts you can stop but I find that often working out helps my soreness... it loosens everything up ;)
  • j_courter
    j_courter Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    i would say do it if your muscles are just feeling sore. often running can actually help loosen up your muscles.

if there is an injury, that's another story... don't run through that....
  • strawberrygashes
    strawberrygashes Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    When I hiked up a mountain, the next day I was SORE!! I took that day off (the day after the hike) and went for a gentle jog the next, ended up being my best run (at the time). Take a day of rest, if you want to try it the next, take it slow. Or go for a good walk and do your run 3days later.
  • seandcarey
    seandcarey Posts: 7
    Options
    Listen to your body. Don't push it farther than it can go you'll end up hurting yourself. I recommend yoga when I get too sore from going to the gym to change it up and work out the soreness.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Soreness is fine, pain is not... I run if its DOMS if its an injury like a sprain or worse I don't and go to the doc!
  • katemme
    katemme Posts: 191
    Options
    I wouldn't. Give yourself a rest day and do a good walk or something. Make sure you are stretching after a run! If you are going to get serious about it, try investing in some compression socks or a marathon stick, something like that. They will help with healing and the knots!
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body. Soreness is normal from working out and whenever I get sore I just workout more and the soreness goes away (I know, funny huh?)

But if its PAIN you're experiencing, listen to your body and stop
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Depends on the degree of soreness... I usually skip days if i can hardly walk when i get out of bed. But if it's been a day or two, then i go for a slow run, and either make it a very short one, if i still feel sore after a few minutes, or just keep going at slow pace for my usual short (5-6k) run. I wouldn't go for my maximum distance if i start out sore though...

sometimes waiting an extra day can give you a ton more energy for your next run.
  • kikiboniki
    kikiboniki Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    thanks for the tips/ I ended up waiting till the end of the day and still doing my couch to 5k. I ran a little slower 5mph instead of 6 to give myself a bit of a break. :)
  • yogapeach
    yogapeach Posts: 7
    Options
    have you used nighttime recovery to help work out the lactic acid so that you aren't sore after intense workouts?
  • kikiboniki
    kikiboniki Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    i have never heard of that? please do enlighten :)
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    I'd wait, why risk making it worse?
  • Genie30
    Genie30 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    bumping to see if theres more info on nighttime recovery given. never heard of that but it sounds interesting :-D
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    I know people say you can exercise with muscle soreness, but I don't enjoy it or see any point, beyond doing yoga or a long walk.
  • Doing_The_Unstruck
    Doing_The_Unstruck Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    If it is just soreness from exercise and not from injury, then exercising of any sort is fine. If I have any soreness, I usually find It feels better after a run or whatever.