brown bag vegetarian lunches and snack

Options
I'm looking for easy vegetarian lunch ideas. Ideally easy lunches I can pack on the go with no precooking needed. I can't eat salads everyday because they don't fill me up and then I tend to overeat once I am passed famished.

I also sit at a desk all day and find myself snacking on crap way too much. Does anyone have any healthy vegetarian snack ideas to get me through?

Replies

• MrsODriscoll
    MrsODriscoll Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Hi! There are loads of things you can make - I often just take leftovers of my dinner the night before. So tonight I am making this - http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/12229/gigantes-plaki - and having it cold with salad for lunch tomorrow. You can also do cold rice, couscous or quinoa salads - add chickpeas or lentils if you need them to be more filling. For snack ideas, try raw food bars, fresh or dried fruit, carrot sticks with low fat hummous... and drink plenty of water and herbal tea :-)
  • Feed_the_Bears
    Feed_the_Bears Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Some mornings I just open up a can of black beans (or other beans), toss it in some tuperwear, chop up a tomatoe and pour some olice oil and spices on there.
    Premake some Quinoa salads and put them in the fridge in ready to go portions.
    Put nut butter on a totrilla wrap and maybe shove a banana in there too.
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • pinkpolkadots25
    pinkpolkadots25 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Make a wrap with a whole-wheat tortilla, cheese (if you want), avocado, hummus, and roasted veggies! You can do a big batch of roasted veggies once or twice a week and use them throughout the week. Healthy, delicious, and filling!
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    when I can, I premake lunches for the week. I go though the produce aisle. pick out good things, then get some beans.

Toss it all in the crock pot, or stir fry. Then divide it up into plastic containers and freeze them.
  • alexisj503
    alexisj503 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    On weekends I make and freeze fat-free vegan lunches for the work week. I often make a big pot of thick lentil vegetable stew and a pot of brown rice, and place one cup of lentil stew with 1/2 cup of brown rice on top into tupperware containers to freeze. That's 1.5 cups of food that is loaded with fiber and nutrients and fat free. Or, I will make thick green pea and vegetable soup and mix in brown rice and freeze 1.5 cup servings of that. Peas and rice together makes a complete protein. Another option is three bean vegetarian chili loaded with veggies and either with 1/2 cup brown rice on top, or a fat free vegan corn bread muffin on the side. I am now considering making fat free vegan lasagna to freeze for lunches.
  • thejesspress
    thejesspress Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    This is a really simple idea, but everyday for my lunch (when I'm working) I pack a PB&J on whole wheat white bread, and put in an apple or a banana, a low-fat yogurt (activia) & a serving size of crunchies, i.e. baked chips or cheetoes, etc. Not only is it tasty, but it's pretty inexpensive-- a lot of produce can get expensive (at least in my world lol)
  • alexisj503
    alexisj503 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    For snacks, a red bell pepper cut into strips. Red bells are loaded with vitamin C. Apples and oranges are great too. Also fat-free hummus and rice crackers, or fat-free hummus and celery sticks.
  • heatgal976
    heatgal976 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    My Costco sells the small individual Sabra hummus. I love these for quick snacks on the go combined with veggies or a bagel thin. I also like Motts applesauce with no added sugar, small individual almond butters or peanut butters with a banana, and Kind bars(coconut almond or nut and fruit).
  • bilzprincess
    bilzprincess Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I've been surprised at how many leftover dinner things from the night before, that were served hot for dinner, actually taste good cold right out of my ice packed lunchbox. Tofu stir fries and things are awesome the next day served cold. Stir the grain in while it's hot that evening after dinner, and pack into tiny containers for lunch the next day. The tofu tastes texture-wise like little hunks of cheese. Or what I remember cheese hunks feeling/tasting like. I prefer the sprouted, organic tofus because of their great texture. I too work in a "eat at your desk, no heating the food" environment.
  • kklemarow
    kklemarow Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Wasa crisp bread (whole wheat) & natural PB - makes a great snack! Also, any kind of hummus and veggies, yum!
  • Bovaryoo
    Bovaryoo Posts: 1,374 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • 2007nuna
    2007nuna Posts: 4
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas. These are great. I'm definitely going to try lots of these.