For all my running friends

Options
nyy03
nyy03 Posts: 652 Member
So I just finished my half marathon yesterday. Now what? How often do you run when not training? Do you continue with intervals/fartleks and so on? My next scheduled race isn't until August 25th and it's only a 10K. Not sure if I should just run when I feel it or continue in 'training' mode.

Also one last question. I do have a training schedule for the 10K, but should I go with that or just use my training schedule I used for the half?

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Let me guess, you were enjoying the sunshine here in Ottawa yesterday! :happy:

With your next race only 12 weeks away I'd suggest that you take it easy this week (a little recovery goes a long way) walking, slow easy runs.....nothing terribly strenuous and then go back into training mode. Personally I'd stay with the half marathon plan, the extra volume will make your 10K feel much easier.

Even when I'm not training for a specific race I like to get out and run 3 or 4 times a week, the main difference is my long Sunday runs will be shorter.
  • El_Rapido
    El_Rapido Posts: 136
    Options
    I'd just do anything which you enjoy most which for me would be long trail and fell runs which would keep your fitness up, then I'd change to more 10k specific training around mid July, that should see you champing at the bit just in time for a late August 10k PB! :)
  • flechero
    flechero Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    You just did a 1/2 so you are obviously in decent shape... why not take 2 weeks and run for enjoyment (pace and distance that feels good for that particular day) before going back to "training." When it becomes all work, and is no longer fun, you will find excuses/ways to stop doing it, IMO.
  • nyy03
    Options
    Thanks. It was the Toronto women's half marathon. You just pointed out its 12 weeks away. I uses I will take it easy this week and maybe next with some light easy runs. Then look back into training. :)
  • 416runner
    416runner Posts: 159
    Options
    I had to laugh when I saw your picture - I'm wearing the same necklace today!

Congrats on your finish!
  • nyy03
    Options
    I had to laugh when I saw your picture - I'm wearing the same necklace today!

Congrats on your finish!

That's awesome. Congrats to you too. Are you running in the whole series?
  • 416runner
    416runner Posts: 159
    Options
    I'm not planning on the others right now but might - it might depend on how hot this summer is and whether I want to race in August! :)