METABOLISM HELP... 'Here we go again', but please!

Options
I've been using this site for nearly a year now but this is my first post, so firstly, hi!!

I guess I know my situation is a little different from the usual...but I reckon someone out there might be able to offer the help I so desperately need. I'm 28, female and my current weight is 52.5kg (BMI 18.8). Now for me this is really scary. I suffered from severe anorexia and was chronically underweight and in 8 hospitals pretty much solidly from age 14 to 24. So, being at a healthy weight is a massive step...I've maintained about a year now though I really really struggling as my metabolic rate is stupidly slow. My average intake is about 1000kcal and I'm maintaining. I walk about 45mins (quite fast) I'd say at least 3x a week. I'm still suffering bad depression so am not managing much else at the moment. The healthy part of me wants to stay a healthy weight - I've had 4 periods (never had them before now!) But the anorexia is shouting at me to cut my calories as my weight tries to creep up further if I'm not really careful with my intake. I'm still trying to improve my relationship with food but this is extra tough when having to be so careful with calorific intake. Basically, I need to improve my metabolism. I'm sure someone will say, you need to increase intake to do this. OK. But for how long will that make me put on weight? How long would it take to stabilise? I struggle to tolerate my body even at this weight? PLEASE HELP. (This has been really hard to write btw.) Thank you. :ohwell:

Replies

• therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    You really, really should speak with your doctors, or at a minimum a nutritionist who deals with eating disorders about this instead of an internet forum.
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad to hear that you've been getting help for your illness. May you continue to recover and strive for a healthy life.

Slowly increasing your caloric intake is a good way to increase your metabolism. While doing this, you can also eat smaller meals more often (so, instead of 3 normal meals a day and 2 snacks, you can eat 6 small meals a day every two hours). This will keep your metabolism going so that you can slowly increase your caloric intake.

Keep walking. In some ways, walking is good therapy! Find music that you like and walk to that. When your energy increase, try some light weight lifting. Building muscle increases metabolism.

Take care of yourself and all the best!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Any initial weight gain will be in glycogen (energy stores in your muscle - good!) and water weight, as glycogen holds something like 2x it's own weight in water. THAT is what the gain is when you eat a little more, and depleted glycogen stores are contributing to you feeling weak and tired. I've had to take a couple of days off because my heavy training and 1000 calorie a day deficit had physically drained my body - and I eat 2700 a day most days!

Remember it takes an excess of 3500 calories over your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) to gain 1 pound (less than half a kilo).

Your best bet is to speak to your Doctor or a Counsellor. In the interim, educate yourself on your BMR and TDEE, and the effects of long term calore deficits. You sound a reasonable person and understanding the science of it all may help you come to terms with it more.

Be proud that you have reached out and are doing your best to be healthy.
  • aejones02
    aejones02 Posts: 15
    Options
    Thanks for the thought, but surprisingly enough (after 16 years!) I have seen just one or two nutritionists!! Ridiculously NHS won't provide that if you're normal weight anyway. And, my question is nothing about the ED. I'm the most recovered I've ever been, so advice on my question would be greatly received.
  • ironanimal
    Options
    Thanks for the thought, but surprisingly enough (after 16 years!) I have seen just one or two nutritionists!! Ridiculously NHS won't provide that if you're normal weight anyway. And, my question is nothing about the ED. I'm the most recovered I've ever been, so advice on my question would be greatly received.

Straight up answer - nobody knows how long it could take for YOUR body to stabilise. The AVERAGE is about 4-6 weeks. I would suggest doing some reading on the subject :)
  • aejones02
    Options
    Thanks Spaingirl2011. When you say slowly increase....do you have any specifics?? Currently my intake is spread, grazing. Is that going to help or make things worse metabolism wise?
  • healthy1215
    healthy1215 Posts: 54
    Options
    I am certainly not qualified to offer you nutritional advice, but I will share with you something I read in another post - we each need to move away from thinking of food as reward or punishment, good or bad - we need to see it as fuel, healthy fuel for our bodies to be able to run and perform so we can live our lives. Maybe rather than focusing on improving your metabolism, you can just work on seeing healthy food choices as healthy body fuel and let nature help you with the rest. It is easy for food to become a focal point and to consume your attention.
  • aejones02
    Options
    Straight up answer - nobody knows how long it could take for YOUR body to stabilise. The AVERAGE is about 4-6 weeks. I would suggest doing some reading on the subject :)
    [/quote]

Thanks ironanimal. Sorry, other reply was not aimed at you.
  • ironanimal
    Options
    Thanks Spaingirl2011. When you say slowly increase....do you have any specifics?? Currently my intake is spread, grazing. Is that going to help or make things worse metabolism wise?

Meal timing is irrelevant. Eat when you can. And I didn't take it personally, no problem :)
  • Fabulocity
    Fabulocity Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Please please please talk with your doctor about this.
  • ChelseaM18
    ChelseaM18 Posts: 303
    Options
    You really, really should speak with your doctors, or at a minimum a nutritionist who deals with eating disorders about this instead of an internet forum.

Definitely. This would really help you. Hope all goes well with you and the new changes to your life :)
  • kazhowe
    kazhowe Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Hi, i don't feel qualified to offer you any advice at all but i just wanted to applaud you for your enormous effort to overcome your ED and your desire to remain a healthy weight. I wish you well in your quest for a healthy lifestyle and can only encourage you to 'hang on in there' it will be worth it in the end.. :flowerforyou:
  • aejones02
    Options

I HAVE. Sorry, but please stop saying this as the doctor was not interested. I'm normal weight so that's it as far as they're concerned. My question is just as anyone else may ask about metabolism so I'd be thankful of responses to that instead of advice to go to doctor when I have. This is not meant rudely, just frustration. Thank you.
  • aejones02
    Options
    Hi, i don't feel qualified to offer you any advice at all but i just wanted to applaud you for your enormous effort to overcome your ED and your desire to remain a healthy weight. I wish you well in your quest for a healthy lifestyle and can only encourage you to 'hang on in there' it will be worth it in the end.. :flowerforyou:

Thank you. I hope so.... tried for long enough. WOuldn't wish it on my worst enemy. You keep going with your aims too.
  • ironanimal
    Options

I HAVE. Sorry, but please stop saying this as the doctor was not interested. I'm normal weight so that's it as far as they're concerned. My question is just as anyone else may ask about metabolism so I'd be thankful of responses to that instead of advice to go to doctor when I have. This is not meant rudely, just frustration. Thank you.

aejones is in the UK, and our Doctors don't work the same way as in the states, just so everyone is clear :P
  • scout1976
    scout1976 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Your doing so well so great for you, and it must have been hard to write on here. doing some light weights will help tone and make healthy muscle and increase your metabolism.

as someone previously said eat small and regular, if that's easier for you. think of your body like a nice warm fire that needs a log every few hours to keep going lol ..

Its a journey that takes time.... keep up the good work hun XX
  • quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    As far as increasing calories goes, I would take it slow, like adding 50 calories each week or even every two weeks. That way your body has time to adjust to a small increase, but you are going in the right direction without overwhelming any of your systems - including your emotions and fears. After you are up to around 1200 calories, try adding in a bit more exercise.

You are doing great!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options

This. Only professionals can give you the advice and help you need.
  • aejones02
    Options

Well, how do I get that if my GP can't help?? I'm already with a therapist. I've asked a simple qu anyone else may ask. I appreciate peoples concern but even more appreciate responses to my actual question rather than advice thats not possible to follow.
  • quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options

Well, how do I get that if my GP can't help?? I'm already with a therapist. I've asked a simple qu anyone else may ask. I appreciate peoples concern but even more appreciate responses to my actual question rather than advice thats not possible to follow.

Some people just don't read before responding. Ignore them. :)