curry dishes please!!!!

Options
I finally just got some curry and I need ideas cooking with it!!
I LOVE indian food but I know it is fairly unhealthy! My favorites so far have been butter chicken, tandorri chicken and samosas. (not sure of all the spelling)

Please give me your favorite recipes I would love to try them out!!!

Thank you!

Replies

• dclarsh
    dclarsh Posts: 364
    Options
    I'm sure this isn't a traditional Indian dish, but we eat it at my house quite a bit. Sorry it's not a very measured recipe, I have an aversion to measuring ingredients :laugh:

Ingredients
    1 whole sweet potato, skin on, cubed
    1/2 head cauliflower, chopped
    2 carrots, skin on, sliced
    1 can chick peas, drained and rinsed
    1/2 yellow onion, diced
    vegetable broth
    olive oil (a tablespoon or two)
    balsamic vinegar (a tablespoon or two)
    cinnamon
    chipotle pepper
    curry powder
    Indian chili powder

In a baking dish, combine sweet potato, cauliflower, carrot, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, cinnamon, chipotle pepper and curry powder. Roast at 400 degrees for about a half hour or until fork tender. Over medium high heat in a dutch oven coated with cooking spray, sautee the onion until translucent. Add the chick peas, indian chili powder and just a bit of broth. Mash with a potato masher. When the roasted veggies are done, add them to the pot, and continue to add broth until it is a stew consistency. Serve over jasmine rice. If it's too hot for you, top with a tablespoon or two of plain, non fat yogurt.
  • Etta
    Etta Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Curry is my first love (my 2nd is my SO :love: )! I'm Kenyan, so our curry is different than Indian style because we don't add yogurt. That may help with the calories. Now, I learned from my mom when I was a kid & have been making it by heart for a while, but luckily, I've been measuring when I cook lately cause my SO likes to cook with me & he gets confused when I say "a dollop" or "a smidgen". This is how I made curry chicken last Saturday:

2-3 tbsp olive oil
    1 diced yellow onion
    3 tsp minced garlic (or about 5 cloves- I love garlic!)
    1- 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes (petite diced if available)
    1/2- 6 oz can tomato paste
    3 tsp. curry (add more if you'd like)
    1 tsp turmeric (or more depending on your taste)
    1 tsp red pepper (more won't kill ya :devil: )
    1/2 tsp salt
    5 diced chicken breasts

Note: Sometimes I'll add cumin and cilantro. Some people like to add ginger, cloves, or potatoes. All are pretty awesome so have fun with it. The recipe above is just bare bones Luo (my family's tribe) curry chicken!

Grab a big pot and warm up the oil at medium heat.
    Add the onions and garlic and let soften.
    Toss in the tomatoes, paste and spices. Begin to perfect your sauce.
    Dump in the chicken & lower the heat a bit to allow the chicken to come out super soft.
    Stir occasionally and try not to burn your tongue from tasting your yummy curry while its cooking.

We eat it with Basmati rice or ugali (it's like polenta). Enjoy & try not to binge, which as you know with curry is REALLY difficult! My SO learned that lesson the hard way... :sick:

Let me know how it goes or what other ways you've found to make curry!

126046.png
  • oregonlady
    oregonlady Posts: 2,743 Member
    Options
    these recipes sound great!

i intend to try some!
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • sabbles
    sabbles Posts: 37
    Options
    this is by no means authentic curry dish...just something we came up with because I wanted stew and curry...

slow cooker curry stew

1 small onion, chopped
    1 clove garlic, chopped
    1.5 lb chicken breasts, cubed
    3 tbl curry powder
    .5 tsp coriander (optional)
    .5 tsp cumin (optional)
    1 can cream of chicken soup
    1 can diced petite tomatoes (liquid included)
    1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
    2 carrots, chopped into medallions
    3 potatoes, diced (about 3/4" pieces)

Place in slow cooker in the order in which it's listed in the recipe. Cook on low for 7 hrs or so.
  • cattiemac
    cattiemac Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Here's one of my fave curry recipes.

Curry in a Hurry
    From Rachel Ray – 30 minute meals

4 pieces boneless, skinless chicken breast cut into chucky pieces
    1 yellow medium Spanish onion, peeled, halved and cut into ¼ inch strips
    1 piece fresh gingerroot, about 2 inches, grated
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    1 can (15 ounces) no-fat, low-sodium chicken broth
    3 tablespoons mild curry paste
    2 tablespoons peanut or sesame oil

Start a pot of water to boil for jasmine or white rice, following the directions on the box. The rice will take longer than the dish to prepare.

In a large skillet, working over medium-high heat, brown the chicken for 4 minutes on each side in the peanut or sesame oil. Remove chicken from pan and set aside.

Add onion, gingerroot and garlic. Sauté for another 3 minutes, until onion becomes tender. Add broth and lift off all of the good junk stuck to the bottom of the pan. Add curry paste and return chicken to the pan. Heat through to a boil. Give the pan a good shake. Reduce heat to medium low. Simmer for 5 to 10 minutes to desired thickness.

Serve over rice. Makes 4 servings.

**I have already added the nutritional information into the database under Curry in a Hurry
    From Rachel Ray – 30 minute meals

4 pieces boneless, skinless chicken breast cut into chucky pieces 1 yellow medium Spanish onion, peeled, halved and cut into ¼ inch strips
    1 piece fresh gingerroot, about 2 inches, grated
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    1 can (15 ounces) no-fat, low-sodium chicken broth
    3 tablespoons mild curry paste
    2 tablespoons peanut or sesame oil

Start a pot of water to boil for jasmine or white rice, following the directions on the box. The rice will take longer than the dish to prepare.

In a large skillet, working over medium-high heat, brown the chicken for 4 minutes on each side in the peanut or sesame oil. Remove chicken from pan and set aside.

Add onion, gingerroot and garlic. Sauté for another 3 minutes, until onion becomes tender. Add broth and lift off all of the good junk stuck to the bottom of the pan. Add curry paste and return chicken to the pan. Heat through to a boil. Give the pan a good shake. Reduce heat to medium low. Simmer for 5 to 10 minutes to desired thickness.

Serve over rice. Makes 4 servings.

**I have added the nutritional information into the database under Rachel Ray's - Curry in a Hurry**
  • jessicob
    Options
    Thank you Etta! That sounds delicious.
  • clk238
    clk238 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    warning, this is not authentic Indian, and I don't ahve the nutrition info or even measuring sizes, so you'll have to estimate & calc the nutrition values yourself:
    Curry Chicken Salad (heard it called Coronation Chicken)- Lunch

boiled chicken breast, cooled, shredded
    chopped onion (cooked if you like a milder taste)
    chopped red/green/yellow bell peppers ( " )
    chopped celery
    chopped nuts (walnuts or almonds are good)
    raisins or sultanas
    curry powder
    lowfat mayo and dijon mustard (I do 1 to 1ratio, using as little as possible while still getting the creamy chicken salad effect.... about 1.5 tbsp each)
    small bit (start with 1/2 tbsp) mango chutney (can get a spicy version- delish!)- don't use too much this ingredient can be overpowering

so these are the base ingredients of a cold chicken salad (like for sandwiches, a lunchtime recipie) you can do the ammounts of the ingredients to your taste.. I usually add things (especially the mayo, mustard, and chutney) gradually so as to use as little as possible(low cal!) and still have it taste good/form a real chicken salad. Also going heavy on the celery, peppers and onions will make this healthier... It's a really great exotic/sweet/spicy flavor, and a good alternative to my normal canned-tuna-with chopped veggie-and-mustard.

i find that 1 chicken breast as the base makes 2 servings. I eat it on a rice cake with chopped tomatoes on top. I'd estimate at about 350-400 cals (?)
  • mamacindy81
    mamacindy81 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Sounds good!