Almonds high fat?!

Options
Hi everyone, so i bought stop and shop brand almonds today because i heard that they had a lot of health benefits and aid in weight loss (when you follow the serving size). So i had 28 almonds, but was shocked to find that fat content was so high! My remaining fat for the day was -147 and a HUGE chunk of the fat was from the almonds, i heard it was "healthy" fat but idk, could someone explain. Thank you!!!!!

Replies

• msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    This article helped me understand more about fats:

http://www.wellnessproposals.com/nutrition/nutrition_fact_sheets/balancing_calories_and_optimizing_fats.pdf

The fats found in nuts are some of the "more desirable" fats that the body needs. Hope this helps.
  • JDHINAZ
    JDHINAZ Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    They are healthy. And you need fat in order to help absorb many of the nutrients in foods. Because of the fat and fiber, they will stick with you longer than many other choices and help you not feel hungry. Almonds are a great snack. If you choose them, just be conscience of the choices you have throughout the day.

Below from MayoClinic.com
    Why eat almonds? These tear-shaped nuts are packed with nutrients — fiber, riboflavin, magnesium, iron and calcium. In fact, almonds have more calcium than any other nut — 75 milligrams (mg) in one serving (about 23 almonds). Also, one serving of almonds provides half of your body's Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) of vitamin E.

Like all nuts, almonds provide one of the best plant sources of protein. And they're good for your heart. Most of the fat in almonds is monounsaturated fat — a healthier type of fat that may help lower blood cholesterol levels.
  • BiloxiBelle
    BiloxiBelle Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    The fat in almonds is mostly monounsaturated or "good fat" which is associated with lowering cholestrol. They also are the best whole food source of vitamin e, are loaded with minerals and fiber, have calcium and folic acid...it goes on & on. They have properties that help fight cancer & cardiovascular disease....Obviously I wouldn't eat 100 of them a day. But you do need some fat in your diet & its best to be sure you're getting the "good" kind like from almonds, flaxseed, etc.

Hope that helps. I know yahoo's home page a few days ago had a list of foods to help fight fat. I don't remember them all, but I remember almonds& cinnamon!
  • Etta
    Etta Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    You made a great choice grabbing almonds. Nuts are a great snack & are a great way to get your calories and good fat. I've started sprinkling a pinch of sliced almonds on my salad instead of croutons and I love 'em!

126046.png
  • Kaileyxoxo
    Kaileyxoxo Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    oh thats such a relief! lol thanks for all the responses!
  • argburr
    argburr Posts: 25
    Options
    They are high in fat, but you know how you always hear that you need more omega-3 fatty acids? Fish is always advertised to have a lot of omega 3 fatty acids, and it does, but it isn't the only source. Almonds are also a good source of these healthy fats. Almonds are also a wonderful snack for other reasons; lots of vitamins and minerals including folic acid and also lots of protein! Nuts in general are a great snack, but almonds are the best, because they are actually lowest in fat compared to the other common ones (cashews & peanuts)
  • mrd232
    mrd232 Posts: 331
    Options
    BTW guys...

Almonds are NOT a good source of Omega 3.

They are a source of Omega 6.
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    just make sure you grab the "normal" regular almonds.
    I've seen them sell almonds with coatings on them, sugary, salty etc.

28 might be alot.

I used to have 25-30 per day, now I have approx 15 every day.
  • fatoadsgranny
    Options
    I am equally as discouraged. Perhaps this is why I am not loosing weight? I thought 20 almonds and an apple for lunch would do the trick for me, but I have only lost 1-4 lbs (it fluctuates) in the past 3 weeks.
    I also joined a gym and have been working out like a dog (or so I thought for my 50+yr old body) but apparently 3.5 mph for 5 miles walking and 10-12 mph for 30 mins biking is considered only "moderate" exercise?? and not "fat burning? Tell that to my sweat rag. lol. I am discouraged though. Perhaps the almonds contain too much fat for me to loose weight?