Question about Exercise Tracking

Options
Hi, everyone,

One thing I am totally confused about is this.

I added in my spinning class today on my exercise tracker. When I checked my food tracker, it gave me more calories to eat for the day. Quite a bit more. I don't understand this.

Isn't the goal to burn more than we eat?

I'm eating between 1,200 - 1,400 calories per day. Today was the first time I actually inputted my exercise, but it gave me an extra 700 calories to eat because apparently that's what I burned doing the spinning class. Wouldn't that make it that I am now going to eat 2,100 calories?

Am I confused or what? :)

Any suggestions, assistants would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    The whole idea is to maintain a NET calorie goal, and a deficit is already built into that based upon your desired rate of loss. The original number is based upon your lifestyle setting (sedentary, active, etc), and when you burn calories exercising those calories are added in so as to maintain the same net target. It isn't about total calories eaten but the net.

I think it's a good system and it has been working for me.
  • FlittyGetsFit
    Options
    The calories MFP give you have a deficit for weight loss already built in. By exercising, you are burning even more calories, so you can eat those back if you want to without affecting your projected weight loss. If you don't eat any of your exercise calories back, you may find your weight loss stalling, or you may feel tired and lethargic through not eating enough to fuel yourself. I eat back about half of my exercise calories most times, eating all of them on hungry days!
  • lovestotravel3
    Options
    Thanks for your quick response.

So that means, I get more calories on the days I do a lot of extensive exercise. I'm nervous about adding more calories. LOL I've been doing so well, without doing that, plus the exercise. But I guess it's healthier to maintain a net calorie as you say.
  • gpstrucker
    Options
    Thanks for your quick response.

So that means, I get more calories on the days I do a lot of extensive exercise. I'm nervous about adding more calories. LOL I've been doing so well, without doing that, plus the exercise. But I guess it's healthier to maintain a net calorie as you say.

Yeah, it it hard for some people to accept at first, but as knittyflitty said, not eating enough calories can actually stall your weight loss. Just go with the MFP number for a while and see how you do, you may be surprised (I know I was).
  • lovestotravel3
    Options
    Hi, Knittyflitty. It makes sense., because I did hit a plateau that was frustrating me and I work out 5 times a week. I have been feeling hungrier and a bit less energetic, so that all makes sense now.

I can eat half those calories back, but having them all would just seem like too much.

I appreciate the feedback. Doesn't feel like I'm all alone here, battling the weight loss journey.
  • temp666777
    temp666777 Posts: 169
    Options
    You SHOULD NOT "eat back" your calories burned.

This is a huge debate in health science.

Many people think you SHOULD "eat back" ...... many people think you "SHOULD NOT" eat back.

it is a huge debate.

At the moment, MFP happens to default to the "should" mode. This is just silly.

They are changing it so that it can work one way, or the other, depending on what your scientific beliefs are.

if you are trying to make up your mind, scientifically, about which approach you should take - don't base it on jabberings seen on the internet. I recommend the book "Good calories, bad calories" by Gary Taubes.

once again, CURRENTLY as it happens MFP only uses the "should eat back" model --- that's why they have that absurd "you've earned! ..." line of text that you are seeing.

What does everyone do who uses MFP, who is in the "should not" camp? Simply IGNORE that ridiculous line of test.

In a few months the will update the system to handle "both" paradigms. (ie, they will simply delete that one ridiculous line of text for people in the "should not" camp).

For example: my calorie goal presently is 1400. So indeed I eat 1400.

Yesterday I ran 15km, which is something like 1000 cals.

MFP ridiculously says "You've eaten 1400! You CAN eat 2400! You've earned 1000 from running!!!!"

I simply ignore this idiocy, and stop reading at "You've eaten 1400"

Males sense?

Similarly on the reports page ...just ignore the silly "NET calories" thing and print out your "Calories Eaten" graph.

once again .. in a few months they're changing it to work "either" way for the "two camps" of thinkers.

(It's just a matter of deleting that one stupid line.) Like I say at the moment everyone just IGNORES the silly part. I stop reading at "You've eaten 1400!"

(well, people who are in to "eat back!" of course, they keep reading to the end!)

Enjoy !

it's a great site IF you use it properly.
  • Erihppas
    Erihppas Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    You will hear it passionately both ways, "Eat your exercise calories back.", "Don't eat your exercise calories back."

In the end, do what works for you.
  • temp666777
    temp666777 Posts: 169
    Options
    "But I guess it's healthier to maintain a net calorie as you say."

Nonsense. It's healthy to have no excess fat. :-)

This is an example of science from internet soundbites, versus science.

To make a REAL DECISION, I recommend the book I mention! It's a great book, if a little technical, enjoy.

Failing that, stick to what has been working for you and what you feel is right.

The whole thing is really silly -- ok so you "eat back!" your exercise. So what do you do about carbs? protein? fat? do they go up ... proportionately? or what?
  • Flamenquero
    Flamenquero Posts: 132
    Options
    Don't eat the deficit.
  • jenns65
    jenns65 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I exercise so I can eat more. I am pregnant and I am hungry all the time now. I am get at maintain right now then in a few weeks I will move up to gain 1/2 lb a week. I have gained 50 lbs with my boys and I want to gain the 15-25 my doctor has recommend. I am up 15 so I have to be careful for that next 21 weeks.
  • lovestotravel3
    Options
    Thank you temp and Erihppas, and NOW I'm totally confused. LOL

I do agree that eating back that many calories made no sense to me, that's why I asked and why I'm still confused. I guess I'll have to go with how I feel and what is working. I never tracked my exercise until today, but I have been on a plateau and thought maybe it was because I wasn't getting enough calories.
  • eljayfit
    eljayfit Posts: 1
    Options
    I don't eat the exercise calories burned. I put them in the tracker to see how many I have earned, then delete them again so that I can clearly see and stick to my 1200 per day. That way I know that if I have underestimated the amount of calories in a particular food, or had to eat something I cannot accurately measure, I have a wee hidden 'bank' of exercise calories to mop up the accidents.
  • scssam
    scssam Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    No one is forcing you to eat it back you know. :)

Me personally I don't make it a point it eat the exercise calories back..

But after I do 2 hours of intense cycling, my stomach is growling, hunger pains and dizziness you damn straight I'm eating at least some of these exercise calories!
  • lovestotravel3
    Options
    I don't eat the exercise calories burned. I put them in the tracker to see how many I have earned, then delete them again so that I can clearly see and stick to my 1200 per day. That way I know that if I have underestimated the amount of calories in a particular food, or had to eat something I cannot accurately measure, I have a wee hidden 'bank' of exercise calories to mop up the accidents.

Thanks, this sounds doable for me.
  • lovestotravel3
    Options
    No one is forcing you to eat it back you know. :)

Me personally I don't make it a point it eat the exercise calories back..

But after I do 2 hours of intense cycling, my stomach is growling, hunger pains and dizziness you damn straight I'm eating at least some of these exercise calories!

LOL No, I know nobody is telling me to eat them back. I just want to do this the healthy and right way and was confused by what MFP was saying when I finally decided to track my exercise. I like the idea of putting it in, just to see how much I burned and then deleting it and sticking to my 1,200 - 1,400 calories per day.

You've all been a great help, I didn't realize there was two school of thoughts on this one.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    I understand your confusion. it took me a while to get this, and all the numbers were floating around in my head. Basically you are going to either pick a 1lb/week loss or 2lb/week. Which one did you choose? If you choose 1lb/week, mfp will build in a 500cal/day deficit. If 2#/week, mfp builds in a 1000cal/day deficit. You eat back your exercise calories, otherwise you will have a greater deficit than the 500 or 1000 calories you decided on.

The confusion may lie the the fact that you would like to maximize your weight loss in hopes of losing more than 1 or 2 lbs. This is not recommended because
    1. you may not be able to sustain that calorie deficit (hunger, mood, etc)
    2. you may be more tired, not exercise as hard, etc

So pick your weight loss rate, and see what your progress looks like:
    1. changes in your measurements
    2. changes in how you look and feel
    3. changes on the scale.

Have fun...fitness is awesome!
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I eat mine back :-) Works for me!

Try it one way. If it doesn't work... try it the other way!
  • henryfunderburk
    Options
    I think the people at MFP have studied the "eat back" situation pretty well. if you create too much of a deficit you will send your body into starvation mode. This will slow down your metabolism and make it harder for you to expend the calories you already have.

Quick diets are dangerous and a waste of time. if you are not going to change your eating lifestyle you may as well just "pig out" and enjoy obesity. The key to effective weight loss is nutrient density of the calories consumed. You can eat all you want if you eat the right foods. Good nutrition is more than refusing to supersize your happy meal.
  • gpstrucker
    Options
    There is nothing "silly" about eating back your exercise calories. It is done to maintain the desired calorie deficit and thus the desired weekly weight loss.

Yes, some people chose to not do so, and that's ok for them as it's their weight loss plan (even if some of them can be rather rude about it). All I can say is, again, I have been following the MFP plan and have been getting results.

In the end though, it really is up to you. If you choose to go one way and it doesn't seem to be working for you, try the other and see how it goes.
  • tryinghard71
    tryinghard71 Posts: 593
    Options
    "But I guess it's healthier to maintain a net calorie as you say."

Nonsense. It's healthy to have no excess fat. :-)

This is an example of science from internet soundbites, versus science.

To make a REAL DECISION, I recommend the book I mention! It's a great book, if a little technical, enjoy.

Failing that, stick to what has been working for you and what you feel is right.

The whole thing is really silly -- ok so you "eat back!" your exercise. So what do you do about carbs? protein? fat? do they go up ... proportionately? or what?

I understand having an opinion but to come across as if it is your way or the highway makes no sense. If it only worked your way then why have I lost 18 pounds? Why not just give advice and say this works for me instead of saying everyone else is nonsense.