Calorie defecit?

Options
I am eating 1240 cals a day...but realistically who burns more calories than they eat in a day? I have just read this is the only way to lose weight with calorie control?

When I go to the gym (3 times a week) I only burn 300-400 cals :/

Replies

• now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    If the 1240 cals you eat in a day is what this website gave you, you already have a deficit built in.

That's why the site tells you to eat the calories you earn from exercise.
  • CazLovesCalories
    CazLovesCalories Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Oh right. I didn't realise that. I put sedentary because I dont always get to the gym. I have 3 kids so do the best I can, exercise wise. walking etc
  • jzaz903
    jzaz903 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    You burn a certain amount of calories by existing and breathing and whatnot. That's what they mean :)
  • now_or_never12
    Options
    A higher activity level would probably be best since you're running after the three kids. When you do get the chance to exercise add it into the exercise journal and your calorie goals will be adjusted. The website built in a deficit as close to what you set your goal to be as possible.

You might want to check into what your BMR are (amount of calories your body burns just being alive in a coma type state) as you normally shouldn't eat under that. 1,240 is really low for the average person but it may work for you.
  • lilmisfit
    lilmisfit Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I am eating 1240 cals a day...but realistically who burns more calories than they eat in a day? I have just read this is the only way to lose weight with calorie control?

When I go to the gym (3 times a week) I only burn 300-400 cals :/

You burn calories just by virtue of being alive. The added 300-400 you burn from exercise is an added bonus. So, realistically, most people on this site burn more calories than they eat in a day :-)
  • CazLovesCalories
    Options
    I found a BMR calc and it says 1697.5.

What is BMR? lol
  • CazLovesCalories
    Options
    I cant imagine eating 1600+ cals a day is going to help me lose weight though? Sorry if I sound dumb :/.
  • drkuhl2017
    drkuhl2017 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    BMR is basal metabolic rate. It's the amount of calories you burn by just being alive. :)

And eating the extra calories does help, because you need to be eating enough. But the lower calories may be working for you.
  • CazLovesCalories
    Options
    OK, can I get help on how many cals I should have.

I am 204lb, and I am 5ft 7. I gym it 3 times a week for an hour at a time, burning roughly 300-400 cals.

I consider my lifestyle moderately active as I have 3 kids....but I do use the car alot lol

I am currently having 1200 but my weight loss is rubbish :/

I lost 4 of the stone I did, on Slimming World...but I hit a plateau hence doing cal counting now.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options

I am 204lb, and I am 5ft 7. I gym it 3 times a week for an hour at a time, burning roughly 300-400 cals.

I consider my lifestyle moderately active as I have 3 kids....but I do use the car alot lol

I lost 4 of the stone I did, on Slimming World...but I hit a plateau hence doing cal counting now.

Pop your info in here - http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/
    Put your current weight as your goal weight, to estimate your CURRENT TDEE.

What does it give you?
  • CazLovesCalories
    Options

What does it give you?

Thanks, that says 2083 cals. So that is that if I want to maintain? What do I do if I want to lose weight?
  • 6hourwalks
    6hourwalks Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hey, you have lost 62 pounds, so that is awesome! I was thinking the same as you in that it is hard to burn more calories than you consume through exercise. But your body burns calories all day when you are not exercising (even when you are asleep). If you were to do nothing all day, you would still burn about 1500-2000 calories. So if you are consuming about 1200 calories and burning 300 through exercise, that's 900 net calories for the day. Now subtract the 1500 calories that you are burning from doing nothing and you get 900 minus 1500 which is a calorie deficit of 600 calories! No wonder you are doing so great :)

Feel free to add me as a friend and I will give you help and support. My name is Paul.
  • CazLovesCalories
    Options
    Thanks, I lost most of that with Slimming World though lol. The last stone was cal counting but it took FOREVER!!!
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options

What does it give you?

Thanks, that says 2083 cals. So that is that if I want to maintain? What do I do if I want to lose weight?

Deduct 20% - so eat at 1600 daily.
  • CazLovesCalories
    Options

What does it give you?

Deduct 20% - so eat at 1600 daily.

Thank you so much. Will give this a go and see if it makes a difference. How do I change it on MFP? As at the moment it works my cals out automatically :/
  • sandown12
    sandown12 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Hi Ive 3 chldren dnt drive do zumba 6 times a week I am self employed have a bed & breakfast and walk lots I put myself in seditary as my bodys used to running around after 3 children etc
    be very careful with exercise activity level as moderate and active is meaning manual workers or people on theyre feet all day and exercise alot
    Just be cautious as it will effect your calorie allowence but Id eat just aboue your BMR its what your body burns at rest and buy a good HRM or fitbit etc x
  • CazLovesCalories
    Options
    Hi Ive 3 chldren dnt drive do zumba 6 times a week I am self employed have a bed & breakfast and walk lots I put myself in seditary as my bodys used to running around after 3 children etc
    be very careful with exercise activity level as moderate and active is meaning manual workers or people on theyre feet all day and exercise alot
    Just be cautious as it will effect your calorie allowence but Id eat just aboue your BMR its what your body burns at rest and buy a good HRM or fitbit etc x

I have put in a manual goal now. I changed my daily cal allowance to 1500. I hope this is ok :/
  • sandown12
    sandown12 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

I have put in a manual goal now. I changed my daily cal allowance to 1500. I hope this is ok :/
    [/quote]

Im 202lbs and ive upped mine from 1250 to 1785 I have lost the last 3 weeks of doing this,gradually increase the extra calories so you dont gain say by 100 a day for a week then again next week say 1400 this week a day then 1500 a day next week when you lose 5lbs decrease it slightly :)

It does work,I am actually going back down to 1649 tomorow just above my bmr

Good luck youll do this :)
  • CazLovesCalories
    Options

[/quote]

Im 202lbs and ive upped mine from 1250 to 1785 I have lost the last 3 weeks of doing this,gradually increase the extra calories so you dont gain say by 100 a day for a week then again next week say 1400 this week a day then 1500 a day next week when you lose 5lbs decrease it slightly :)

It does work,I am actually going back down to 1649 tomorow just above my bmr

Good luck youll do this :)
    [/quote]

Thanks for the advice. I need all the help I can get. I was doing Slimming World but i hit a major plateau.but now I just seem to be maintaining on 1200 cals a day which is rubbish.

I normally weigh in on Thursday at SW still, but Im not going this week, so will do 10 days on 1500 cals, and see what happens :)
  • now_or_never12
    Options
    You may gain a bit when you first start out eating more calories. Don't freak out over it though and give it some time (give it at least two weeks). Your body is used to eating the 1200 so you may have a slight gain the first week or two eating more. You may also lose though! But don't be upset with a slight gain. You WILL start losing again!