Starting C25K tomorrow...

Options
mrsknash
mrsknash Posts: 51 Member
I'm feeling so motivated that I'd start it right now if it weren't for the fact that I need to buy new running shoes and it's currently 9.50pm here!

I've pre-warned my husband that I need his support in this; in so much as I WILL need to have a half hour in the evenings so that I can go out alone and crack on with this thing. We have 3 pre-schoolers, so spare time is in short supply!!

The first podcast is downloaded (free thanks to the NHS website), and I am itching to get started. I've always dreamed of being a runner but have struggled to find the time to get started.

Replies

• frazzle29
    frazzle29 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I'm starting week 2 day 1 tonight
    Feel free to add me if you want :)
  • Alimacoo
    Alimacoo Posts: 19
    Options
    Yay! good for you. I would like to try as well, and I have the time, I suppose I've just been too lazy. But yes, very good for you. I ran a few months back and it really is a wonderful feeling to use your body is such a way- it feels really natural. Best of luck. I have three kids under 5 myself, so I know all about not being able to find time for some things.
  • welsh_lass86
    welsh_lass86 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm starting week 4 tomorrow. I've had a bit of a break from it as I've been on holiday but I'm hoping to get back on track soon. Let us know how you find your first run :smile:
  • Symonep
    Symonep Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Go you!! I am up to wk2 d1. Definitely make sure you get your stride and foot placement analysed and get shoes to fit. The right shoes make a world of difference.
  • jonesyx6
    jonesyx6 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I am starting C25K tomorrow as well. I'm 100+ overweight and asthmatic, so I'm more than a little nervous and scared about RUNNING! When I was in the military, and FIT, I remember praying that I would just collapse because breathing hurt so badly when I ran. But I've got to start somewhere, right?
  • gotchakatja
    gotchakatja Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I just completed Week 2 Day 1 today! I love this program so far. As far as I can tell, it's a program that transitions you really well into each progressive step.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Have fun!! I used the C25k program as my guide when I first started running (although mine took a lot longer because I only ran a few days a week). It worked really well for me. I hated running as a teenager and thought I always would. But, I've actually come to really enjoy running. The feeling of accomplishment when I'm able to maintain a slightly quicker pace or go a little bit further makes it totally worth it. I hope you have just as much fun running as I do!

Good luck!
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    i started c25k on a trail in my neighbourhood end of february this year. every time i pass that point, where i turned back to go home that first day, i kind of laugh to myself. it's only about 1.5 kilometers from my home, and that included the 5 minute warm up walk and walking home from the trail. now i run there in about 10 minutes, and keep going :happy:
  • TurtleRunnerNC
    TurtleRunnerNC Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Good for you! !! My neighbor & I have talked about doing this. We have been walking 2.5 miles a day for a couple weeks.
  • Shaigirl79
    Shaigirl79 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I'm feeling so motivated that I'd start it right now if it weren't for the fact that I need to buy new running shoes and it's currently 9.50pm here!

I've pre-warned my husband that I need his support in this; in so much as I WILL need to have a half hour in the evenings so that I can go out alone and crack on with this thing. We have 3 pre-schoolers, so spare time is in short supply!!

The first podcast is downloaded (free thanks to the NHS website), and I am itching to get started. I've always dreamed of being a runner but have struggled to find the time to get started.

Good for you! If you follow the program, you won't regret it! Smart move with the shoes! Proper fitting and supporting shoes are VERY important if you want to be able to comfortably walk/run. I just logged Week 7, Day 3 so I'm close to finishing the program. I honestly wasn't sure if I'd be able to do it considering my weight and previous activity level. But I've been amazed with what my body has been able to accomplish so far. Good luck! And just remember... it's not about speed and it's okay to repeat a day or week if you find yourself struggling. :-)
  • lexusjade
    lexusjade Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I am also starting C25K, but I am going to really have to figure out a way to get my runs in. In this area are summers are oppressively hot and humid so I prefer to run 7:30 or later, only that is also when I am the hungriest....We have a treadmill but I'd rather be outdoors. I'm going to have to figure it out. I will also be doing TurboFire, TurboJam and ChaleanExtreme, feel free to add me!
  • Drastiic
    Drastiic Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I finished Week 1 Day 1 this morning. Feel free to send me a friend request with a message saying you're doing it too, and I'll offer some motivation.
  • jonesyx6
    jonesyx6 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'm also in VA and the humidity is a HUGE trigger for my asthma, so I definitely won't be running by myself, just in case. I've never even heard of the other things you are doing, but WOW! Go for it!
  • emmymgt
    emmymgt Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm starting tomorrow as well! I actually completed C25K 2 years ago. I ran my first 5K when I was 6 weeks pregnant. I stopped running during my pregnancy but now that my baby is 10 months old I no longer have any excuses. I'm starting C25K again because I know it is an EXCELLENT way to build up to running. Good luck!

I sent you a friend request too :)
  • mrsknash
    Options
    "The best laid plans of mice and men" and all that...

The only sports shop in town were out of stock in my size for the two styles of running shoe that were both suitable and in my price range. I have been forced to order them online, so they'll be here by the weekend and c25k will begin as soon as I have them in hand/on foot!
  • mrsknash
    Options
    I have just come home to find my new running shoes in the porch. I am so happy!! C25K start this evening. :-)