Old Break in Leg Aggravated - Worried, Should I Get A New XR

Options
Hi Everybody,

About 10 years ago, I was in a bad car accident and broke all 3 major bones in my leg. They were all compound fractures and I was treated with IM Rods in both my Tibia and Femur. I did PT regularly and was able to walk again within 6 months. Since then, I've always had a limp and occaisionally my knee will give out. I've dealt with that the best I could.

But the new concern is in the past 2 weeks, I've been experiencing a sharp, shooting pain in my Tibia. It get's so bad that I have to catch myself, because I almost black out from the pain. Needless to say, I haven't been working out much at all these past 2 weeks, and it's getting frustrating.

I've been doing the stairs, biking and walking in the past 5 months and nothing has bothered me until the past 2 weeks. I am planning on going to the Dr next week and have some XRays taken, but I don't have insurance right now... so if this sounds normal, I might try to tough it out... but I don't think it is normal.

I don't know what could be wrong. I didn't bang it on anything, It's not bruised. But almost exactly where the break was it is extremely tender and I believe I have some edema going on in that area. The break was almost dead center of the Tibia, so it's not affecting any joints, so it doesn't seem like arthritis.

Sorry for the long post, but I am going crazy here! Thanks for any help or advice!

Replies

• dangerkitty2001
    Options
    Hmm...I broke my leg in two places a little over 3 years ago, and I still get the shooting pains, but not as severe as you describe. It might not be a bad idea just to get it checked out and see what a doctor thinks. Hope it is nothing major!!
  • moujie
    moujie Posts: 229
    Options
    not having insurance sucks but I wouldn't put off a trip to the doctor. especially if you have swelling in the area. something is going on and you need to have it looked at. good luck, hope everything goes well.
  • smadag1
    smadag1 Posts: 1,368
    Options
    I also broke my leg 3 years ago this holloween and I get pain in the exact places were the breaks were, while I am running or putting extra strain on it. With the severity you are talking about I would see the dr. Better safe than sorry
  • maurierose
    maurierose Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Even with your leg injury, what you're experiencing doesn't sound "normal". I would definitely go get it checked out - as the tibia is one of the major weight-bearing bones in your leg, I wouldn't wait it out.... call them and explain that you have no insurance, ask for referrals if they aren't willing to cut you some slack. Sometimes local "Urgent Care" facilities will give you a decent discount - they see hundreds of people a day, and if they're sympathetic, giving one person a significant discount is not going to kill them. Just explain the lack of insurance first!

I, too, had compound fractures of my tibia and fibula and have a rod in my lower leg (though not in my upper.... you have me beat on that one!) and have been told by several ortho's and docs that running just isn't recommended for me if it isn't comfortable.... the screws themselves can cause damage to the bone with the jarring impact no matter WHAT shoes I wear... (metal and screws are just not as naturally springy as normal bone is). I have times that my leg just hurts for a few weeks (and I can never seem to pinpoint exactly what is causing it) - try wrapping it lightly in an ace bandage under jeans, etc (I HATE that kind of attention, or appearance of weakness.... can ya tell? lol). Sometimes it seems like the circulation is just "off" or the warmth helps.... not sure why, but sometimes it just helps it *feel* better.

Dealing with compound fractures, you have a lot of muscle and tissue damage as well as circulation issues that will, unfortunately, probably NEVER be normal.... my injury is 9 1/2 years out and I have numb spots and muscle lumps that won't ever repair, change, or look like a normal person's leg. There is a LOT going on with your leg, it definitely makes sense to check it out.

On a side note.... if you get the "go ahead" after being checked out...... I see you're in Florida.... if you have the opportunity, one of the best things I ever did was to walk BAREFOOT in sand 2 miles a day, 4 or 5 times a week.... did that for almost a year, and could not believe the definition and muscle healing I gained in my injured leg, years after my accident. It worked permanent wonders for me. :flowerforyou:

Keep us posted, and good luck with your appointment!!!! Sending you good thoughts!
    :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • Shuutnstar
    Shuutnstar Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I called my old Physical Therapist and they are going to get me in on Monday. (I can't make it in before then as I am car-pooling and don't want to drive my buddies car that far.) They are going to do some Xrays and manipulation and have a "look-see".

I will keep ya'll posted.

And Maurie... I know how you feel! I always said I had a screw loose... at one point, I was right! :)
    The screw above my ankle had wiggled about an 1/8 of an inch out of its home and caused all kinds of havoc. So, I had all of my screws removed 3 years post op. The pain has been managleable since then, til now. The rods never bothered me, so they were left in place. Couldn't stomach the thought of being non-weight bearing for months again.

I have noticed the pain is worse when it is cold... (lol... in FL it is COLD inside every building. Seems like we keep the air at like 65 year round!
  • maurierose
    Options
    Glad to hear you got an appointment so soon, Monday isn't so far away!! :drinker:

LOL.... at least your "screw loose" was REALLY a screw!!!! :laugh: :laugh:

Yeah, cold isn't fun..... most people do the same with their A/C in Calif too! :noway:
  • Shuutnstar
    Shuutnstar Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Turns out I have a stress fracture very near my old break. Couldn't see it on an xray, but on an MRI it lit up like a christmas tree. Actually looks like I have had 2 of them, 1 is older and healed... must have been from all the dancing I used to do. I always would hurt during, but just thought it was cuz I was so heavy.

Not much I can do for it but RICE. So I am on crutches for 8-12 weeks and supposed to be non weight bearing for a while. I'm worried, cuz this is part of how I got so out of shape. I was laid up for 6 months that time, so at least I won't be out that long this time.

So I'm going to try to find a way to stationary-ize my regular bike so I can just ride in my garage. And I'm gonna try to start swimming again.

Any suggestions for exercise I can do without weight bearing on my left leg would be appreciated!

Thanks for all your support guys, you are the bestest!:flowerforyou:
  • dangerkitty2001
    Options
    Dang! Well, at least now you know what's going on. I find swimming to be the best exercise...my leg still gets sore after a while on the treadmill or bike, but doing laps I have no problems. Hope you feel better!
  • maurierose
    Options
    How are you doin Shuutnstar?

Maybe things like sit-ups, weights with your arms while you're sitting? You also have MFP - that will help keep your food on track so you don't run into the same problem as last time - you're going to do just fine! Don't give yourself the "I'm injured, I can eat whatever I want" excuse..... you can and will get where you want to be, even with a little speed-bump!!!

I sure am glad to hear you got it checked out, and that you're undergoing a "fix-it" program, you'll be back to your normal in no time!!!

Keep up your hard work, you can do this!!!! How did the bike thing work out? Bike shops sell little set-ups that you can put your bike on to exercise with...... amazing the things they've come up with. :o)

:flowerforyou: :smile: