Weight loss without excercise?

Options
Hi, I am just wondering if there are some people out there that are still getting weight loss results (meaning staying within your allowable caleries per day) without much extra excercise than they get during a regular day...eg. being at work?

I am just curious, Myself I am doing extra, I was just putting it out there.

Replies

• MsMeltdown
    MsMeltdown Posts: 2
    Options
    You may loss weight by reducing your daily calories intake by 500cl
  • psychofantasy
    Options
    Right now, I'm losing with diet alone. I'm going to start Power 90 soon, and when I do, I'll have to up my calorie intake. People with more weight to lose (like myself) sometimes lose faster in the first few weeks though, so I expect my loss to slow up.
  • Gerald_King
    Gerald_King Posts: 2,031 Member
    Options
    i've lost most of my weight without exercise but its each to their own :happy:
  • acman145acp
    acman145acp Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I lost the first 20 with no excercise
    The next 30~ doing cardio 7 days a week and lifting weights 3 days a week.
    The last 16~ just lifting weights now 3 days a week.
  • Janice032557
    Janice032557 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    My daughter has lost 11 pounds without exercise. And when I joined Weight Watchers years ago I lost a large amount of weight without exercise. To answer your question, yes I gained it back because I thought of it as a diet, so when I lost the weight, I stopped the diet. This time it's changing my eating habits - NOT a diet. But you do not have to exercise to lose weight.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I do not exercise but I try to have more play time activities. I am losing without exercise. I would walk but I have a foot injury. Still losing though by staying between 1200 and 1500 daily.
  • SoBeFitNow
    SoBeFitNow Posts: 16
    Options
    Absolutely. 70% of results come from nutrition, so if you have your diet locked down, you'll lose weight. As far as building muscle, or toning your body, that comes more from fitness but nutrition still plays a big part.
  • sammykins30
    Options
    Thanks for all the input:)
  • adriannalitaful
    Options
    I've had a very healthy...I wouldn't say 'diet', I'd say lifestyle change, since Jan this year, and I've actually gained 9 pounds -.- and today (the day I started on here), I ate the same things I usually do every day, and I'm still under the number of calories that was set for me, which is what I've been doing all along since Jan. I guess every one's body's different; unfortunately, I wasn't so lucky. Oh well, at least this site has motivated me to drink more water and exercise.
  • rahrahrita
    rahrahrita Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I've heard many nutritionists say that weight loss is 80% diet, 15% exercise, and 5% genetics.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    That's what I'm doing. I badly sprained my ankle and have no alternative but to let it rest. Something like 85% of weight loss is calorie reduction.

But exercise is very good for your general health. You tend to feel calmer, stronger, more in control. In addition, it makes you more body-conscious, which may help to keep you on a healthy eating regime.
  • hina_syed_3
    hina_syed_3 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    first time i did this program im apart of I lost weight with no exercise.
    This time around I'm trying to slim down, get fit and more energy so I'm putting more exercise into my routine.
    Zumba/Fuzion, is one thing, another is jumping jacks, planks, mountain climbers, jump rope, crunches, squats, situps, pushups, knee kickers, stretching doing this back and forth of each other for a good 45 minutes or so even an hour of this daily or every other day.
    Good luck!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    It's very doable. But here are some of the drawbacks: faster slowing of metabolism, loss of lean muscle tissue (reducing metabolism even more), flabby feel to body and body parts, no increase in fitness or strength. But if those aren't issues that are of major concern, then losing weight to improve a lower risk for weight related illnesses is good.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer/Group Fitness Instructor
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Ahluvly
    Ahluvly Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Weight management is 80% diet and 20% exercise therefore you can quite easily lose weight without carrying out regular exercise. However, it depends on what your goals are. Like Ninerbuff stated, there's disadvantages to doing no exercise.

For me personally, I've been going to the gym consistently since last summer but it was only until I sorted my diet out in January this year that I've started losing weight. Yeah it was tough but now, if I have a week off now and again for a rest, I really notice the difference in my fitness and body....I have a "softer" feel and I do feel a bit sluggish! I get disappointed if I can't get on to my classes as I really push myself for that one hour to improve my fitness.
  • sammykins30
    Options
    great advice, thanks everyone:) Good luck with your weight loss and excercise goals!:happy: