Question about calories and fat in Atkins

Options
I just started a few days ago...I manage to keep my net carbs below 20, but because I eat real cheese and real, full fat salad dressing, even if I do not use them in huge quantities the calories and fat add up really fast...
I know you are not supposed to count the calories that much and you are not supposed to worry about the fat, but still I am concerned it will slow my weight loss.
I started losing super fast the first 4 days (almost 3 pounds), got really excited, and the last 2 days, I have had 2 pounds that came back right away.
Any advice from Atkins followers that have had success with this way of life?
Thank you!

Replies

• Chokis
    Chokis Posts: 131
    Options
    Typically, you should have between 1500 to 1800 calories a day (you're a woman, right?). If that's somewhere within your goal calorie intake for weight loss (TTDE - 15%), then you should be fine. Don't go too low on the calories, that will be bad for you.
    And if you're using MFP to track your food, make sure to set the macros in the food settings for Atkins: for Induction it should be
    F: 65%
    C: 5%
    P: 30%
    I also recommend adjusting fiber settings to about 20 grams or so.
    Once you move to other phases you can up your carbs (to 10% or whatever you can tolerate) and lower fat accordingly. Protein should stay the same at 30%.
  • symbolistik
    symbolistik Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks Chokis,
    yes I am a woman
    I usually am fine to stay within the 1500 to 1800 calories range, but with atkins, using the dressing and cheese, I easily reach 2000 calories...scary how fast you get to that number when you use full fat products
    I guess I still have to figure out how to really apply this program...it's more complicated than I thought :(
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    at http://pinterest.com/lcuk/atkins/ I have screen shots of a graph from a book by the scientists who wrote the latest Atkins book. It shows how your calorie intake progresses with the phases of the diet - and how calories do matter.
  • symbolistik
    Options
    Mmmm...I think I definitely have to reduce my cheese and salad dressing consumption to get best results.
    It really is not as easy to get it right as I first thought it was...I really have to read the cookbook more to get a better idea of the quantities I can eat.
    If you wan to share some of your usual menus to make it easier for me, that would be great (woman 1500 to 1800 calories/ day)
    I do not eat red meat, but I eat poultry, fish and egg
    Thanks so much!
  • symbolistik
    Options
    I was doing a 1400 calories a day before doing atkins, I was always hungry I did not lose weight and it was difficult to stay within the calorie range.
    So I'm happy to eat more, but today I am freaking out to see that I already ate 2,087 calories (that is insane!!! It goes way to fast with the full fat dressing) 17 net carbs (that's cool) 158 fat (really!!! Scary, not used to that) 125 protein 19 fiber
    So based on what you are saying Pu_239, I'm still in the good range for Atkins?
    Over 2000 calories is insane , I'm so used to stay with the 1400 range...but if you say it's ok, I guess I just have to work on changing my mindset
  • symbolistik
    Options
    I haven't eaten so many protein in a long time...I think I have to keep on doing the type of menu I've been eating these last few days and just really cut down on the salad dressing
    If you have 2 salad a day and 2 table spoon of dressing on top of it, it easily adds 600 calories, that is insane!
    I will try to stay around 1500 calories/ day for the next few days and see what happens
    Thank for your tips PU_239 :)
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I haven't eaten so many protein in a long time...I think I have to keep on doing the type of menu I've been eating these last few days and just really cut down on the salad dressing
    If you have 2 salad a day and 2 table spoon of dressing on top of it, it easily adds 600 calories, that is insane!
    I will try to stay around 1500 calories/ day for the next few days and see what happens
    Thank for your tips PU_239 :)

That seems like such a waste of calories. What sort of dressing is it?
  • symbolistik
    Options
    Either the ranch or the ceasar dressing from Paul Newman...yummy, but adding just 2 table spoon is easily 300 calories
    You're right, waste of calories
    I'm fine with mustard and balsamic vinegar on top of my salad...
    I'm going to change that tomorrow
  • mountainmare
    mountainmare Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Just to add to the good tips already given you should have a max of 4 oz of aged cheese on induction for Atkins. Are you weighing and measuring everything--2 tablespoons is alot of dressing for one salad. Read either the New Atkins for a New You book or go to the Atkins.com site to find out the details of the plan, then decide if that is the plan for you.
  • symbolistik
    Options
    These dressing sound good PU_239, I'll try them

Mountainmare: I think I have been a little lose with the concept of not counting calories with Atkins, I am going to star measuring and weighing everything starting tomorrow