Quinoa?

Options
Do you eat it? How do you prepare it? Tonight is my first time making it for myself and all I did was boil it... pretty boring. Looking for some good ideas! :)

Replies

• iwantahealthierme13
    iwantahealthierme13 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I eat it with stirfry veggies normally. :)

Last time I had it was with mushrooms, kale and a chicken kabob :)
  • jenrusow
    jenrusow Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I boil it but then add garlic, sauted veggies, mrs dash. Sometimes siracha or teriyaki sauce. Very versatile! Love it!
  • AlynnP1005
    AlynnP1005 Posts: 195
    Options
    I make it into a granola, or use it as an oatmeal replacement :)
  • tpittsley77
    tpittsley77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Go to www.twopeasandtheirpod.com and look up their blackquinoa salad with avocado and mango. Holy yum!!!!
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I cooked it in veg broth (could use chicken or beef too). While that was cooking I sauteed some peppers, onions & zucchini with spices. Then when everything was cooked I stirred it together. It was really good!
  • tehzephyrsong
    tehzephyrsong Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I haven't done much experimentation with it myself, but my roommate this past semester would use quinoa along with kidney/white beans and corn in her veggie burgers. As far as I could tell she just mashed together cooked quinoa, beans, and corn, formed the resulting paste into patties, then lightly breaded and fried them in just enough oil to lightly coat the surface of the pan. They were good! Another roommate chopped up a few chile peppers and added them to the mix, giving the patties a pleasant kick.
  • Capka
    Capka Posts: 5
    Options
    I make a cold quinoa tabbouleh salad - very good! Just cook 1 cup of quinoa in 2 c. of water, plus a little salt, until tender, about 15 minutes simmered (rinse uncooked quinoa first). Cool down, then mix with 1 chopped cucumber, 3 chopped ripe tomatoes, 1 or 2 green onions (green part), and 1 cup finely chopped parsley. In another bowl make the dressing: mix 1/4 c. olive oil, 1/2 t. salt, 1/4 c. lemon juice. Stir all together and chill. Better the next day. If you like tabbouleh, you'll love this. I have to eat gluten free and can't have wheat, so anything quinoa is perfect for us.
  • EAlexandraB
    EAlexandraB Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I make a caprese-type salad with it:

Quinoa
    Chopped Cherry Tomatoes
    Fresh Basil
    Chopped Bocconcini
    Balsamic Vinaigrette
    Kosher Salt and Pepper
  • mmbleb
    mmbleb Posts: 14
    Options
    I basically use it just like I would rice!
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    i recently had it in a veggie soup! so delicious. but i agree with the broth ideas and using it as rice. mmm. i had a friend who stuffed bell peppers with qinuoa and other veggies then baked it. mmm.
  • paintgirl21
    paintgirl21 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I use quinoa fairly often as I have gluten sensitivity. I like to mix it into a pilaf with buckwheat, millet, and rice.
  • bryonysten
    bryonysten Posts: 44
    Options
    You should try this site completely dedicated to quinoa for some ideas. Happy cooking!

http://www.cookingquinoa.net
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    1) Rinse well
    2) Put in rice cooker
    3) Add chicken broth
    4) Add smoked paprika
    5) Press 'cook' button
    6) Profit
  • iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I made fried quinoa once, like fried rice... w/ egg, lots of SPAM (!!!), shoyu (aka soy sauce), green onions, regular onions, and shredded carrots... YUMMERS! Turned out pretty good.
  • kikiboniki
    kikiboniki Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I have mixed quinoa with rice in my rice cooker. Helps add some extra protein to the rice without TONS of extra calories.
  • kikiboniki
    kikiboniki Posts: 398 Member
    Options

Quinoa
    Chopped Cherry Tomatoes
    Fresh Basil
    Chopped Bocconcini
    Balsamic Vinaigrette
    Kosher Salt and Pepper

what is bocconcini?
  • Franticantics
    Franticantics Posts: 117
    Options
    I like it for breakfast - cook it in your milk of choice, with blueberries,raisins,cinnamon and agave/maple syrup...amazing
  • callmejessica
    callmejessica Posts: 1,868 Member
    Options
    quinoa can be really tasty when cooked properly. i like to make it like how i make rice pilaf. all you would need is garlic, shallots, salt, a bay leaf, and some thyme!
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    It's very versatile.

My biggest tip is to make sure you rinse it very well before you cook it.
  • _trickpie
    _trickpie Posts: 87
    Options

Quinoa
    Chopped Cherry Tomatoes
    Fresh Basil
    Chopped Bocconcini
    Balsamic Vinaigrette
    Kosher Salt and Pepper

what is bocconcini?
    the greatest cheese.