Delicious brown rice

Options
jewely82
jewely82 Posts: 52 Member
I just tried to recreate something my mom made when I was little. She used to always put veggies in brown rice and it was soooo good. I have to say that I think my creation is even better than her's though.

I just cooked brown rice in chicken broth (the 33% less sodium kind) and then added frozen mixed veggies at the end. It was super simple, and yet oh so good.

Use 1 1/2 cups of broth to 1 cup of rice. I heated up the veggies in the microwave and then just added them into the rice after it cooked. FYI: you have to cook the brown rice for about 45 minutes, but you just simmer it with a lid on so it is very low maintanence.

Nutrition info per serving (1 cup):

calories 75
Total fat 1g
Cholesterol 0mg
Sodium 225mg
Potassium 89mg
Carbs 15g
Fiber 2g
Protein 3g

Replies

• bethany_jurries
    bethany_jurries Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    thanks for the post it sounds great!
  • chellebelle315
    Options
    This is the best, easiest way to do brown rice I have ever discovered. It comes out perfect every time. In my oven it takes an hour and fifteen minutes, but every oven is a little different. So much more fool proof than stove top (at least for me) Mixing veggies in it sounds yummy!

Baked Brown Rice (Alton Brown)

Ingredients

* 1 1/2 cups brown rice, medium or short grain
    * 2 1/2 cups water
    * 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
    * 1 teaspoon kosher salt

Directions

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

Place the rice into an 8-inch square glass baking dish.

Bring the water, butter, and salt just to a boil in a kettle or covered saucepan. Once the water boils, pour it over the rice, stir to combine, and cover the dish tightly with heavy-duty aluminum foil. Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 1 hour.

After 1 hour, remove cover and fluff the rice with a fork. Serve immediately.
  • slimmingmom
    Options
    bump :flowerforyou:
  • chellebelle315
    Options
    This is the best, easiest way to do brown rice I have ever discovered. It comes out perfect every time. In my oven it takes an hour and fifteen minutes, but every oven is a little different. So much more fool proof than stove top (at least for me) Mixing veggies in it sounds yummy!

Baked Brown Rice (Alton Brown)

Ingredients

* 1 1/2 cups brown rice, medium or short grain
    * 2 1/2 cups water
    * 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
    * 1 teaspoon kosher salt

Directions

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

Place the rice into an 8-inch square glass baking dish.

Bring the water, butter, and salt just to a boil in a kettle or covered saucepan. Once the water boils, pour it over the rice, stir to combine, and cover the dish tightly with heavy-duty aluminum foil. Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 1 hour.

After 1 hour, remove cover and fluff the rice with a fork. Serve immediately.

Just a quick note on how I am enjoying my brown rice lately (That I just thought of sharing)

Lemon rice...

Use the above baked rice recipe and add:

saute in 2 tsp olive oil 1 cup chopped white onion
    the zest of one lemon
    the juice of one lemon
    2 tbsp fresh parsley, or 1 tbsp dried parsley

Substitue the water in the recipe for low sodium chicken broth.

So yummy
  • melissalynnlarue
    melissalynnlarue Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    That lemon rice sounds amazing!!!
  • wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I don't want to diss the baked rice but...the extra step of boiling the water and pouring it over just seems like so much effort! Is it really worth it, as opposed to making it stovetop or in a rice steamer?
  • chellebelle315
    Options
    I don't want to diss the baked rice but...the extra step of boiling the water and pouring it over just seems like so much effort! Is it really worth it, as opposed to making it stovetop or in a rice steamer?

I think the texture is much better....and if you have microwave, boling the water takes about 3 minutes. If you love your stovetop rice, then it probably isn't worth the extra step. I have a hard time getting anything that resembles "fluffy" brown rice on the stove top.

:tongue: