Im Curious?.?.?

Options
So I am really out of shape and when I walk its a very slow pace.......So my question is.......Is any walking better than none or am I not doing ne good with a slow walk???? I hoping that if I keep up with the walking I will eventually get faster and be able to actually run 1 day...…Any advice is appreciated...….. Ty!!!!!!

Replies

• korinastern
    korinastern Posts: 55
    Options
    any walking is good walking, your goals should be to do a little more each time and make sure your goals are totally achievable every single time. If they are not reachable you will get discouraged. Celebrate all of the small stuff.
  • Erica002
    Erica002 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    any movement no matter how fast or how slow is better than doing nothing at all
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,232 Member
    Options
    I am slower than molasses. Many people walk faster than I run. I was morbidly obese when I started and found a pace that worked for me-which was very slow. I am marginally faster than I was, but I'm still slow. It's not the pace itself that is important. It's finding a pace you can sustain. I have found my endurance has increased far more from trudging along at a slow pace I can maintain. Once I realized that the "right" pace was the one I could go-I was infinitely happier and saw much more progress. From my standpoint, do what works for you-go whatever speed you can go and let progress happen-because it will.
  • Feed_the_Bears
    Feed_the_Bears Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    It is definitely beneficial. You will slowly build your ability, so decide "where do i want to be in a month? Able to walk just around the block, or still sitting on the couch?" My mom lost 200 lbs. She started with 20 minute walks that would get her nowhere and ended up in 10 k charity walks. Baby steps will get you far :-) keep up the effort slowly challenging yourself :-)
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Any walking is better than no walking. As you lose weight & build stamina you will be able to go quicker and farther thus a bigger burn.
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Yep, any is better than none and the more you do it the better and faster will become.
  • Kimmer2011
    Kimmer2011 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Walking is pretty much the only exercise I've done, and I'm happy with the results so far, although I'm hoping to step it up over the summer.
  • FlittyGetsFit
    Options
    Walking is a great start to fitness! Even slowly. Next time you go out, walk a little bit further than last time before turning back, like to the next street light or next crossing. Then, try to that same distance, but a little bit quicker, say 10 seconds quicker. You'll be surprised how quickly your fitness improves. Good luck!
  • carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    No matter how slow you go...you will still be faster than those people sitting on the couch! The more you do, the more you will be able to do. Like that old fable of the tortoise and the hair...slow and steady will win out in the end. Move just a little more every day and you will be amazed at what you can accomplish! :flowerforyou:
  • rcolours7
    rcolours7 Posts: 69
    Options
    starting by walking is great. great start.

for some goals - make ur walking to be 10 mins for a few days, then increase it by 3-5 mins every few days. once you reach 20 mins, then start increasing your time by 10 mins every 7 days.

find your pace too - that will be key to helping reach your goals.

another way to do you goal - if you have track nearby....start out by walking 1x around & increase your # going around every few times.

any movement above what you normally do for getting around is awesome!!!! u're on the right track. keep going.

have a great week. u can do it.