Home grown bell peppers and tomatoes-recipes?

Options
kbg01
kbg01 Posts: 2
I've got some tomatoes (cherry and regular), different varieties of bell peppers, and some herbs that i'm growing. I could use some good recipes to try out! I have a couple good ones for stuffed peppers, but could use some more variety!

Replies

• charmcnab
    charmcnab Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I just made an incredible stuffed pepper recipe. http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/08/chicken-and-white-bean-stuffed-peppers.html

char
  • Kalynx
    Kalynx Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    yum I love both! you could do chili from scratch with both the tomatos and the peppers (freeze a lot for the coming cold fall days), fresh salsa, jar or freeze the tomatos for use when not in season. I'm jealous!

I think the lady on the foot network that is the "barefoot contessa", she did a bowl of pasta with cherry tomatos ..she didnt cook or dice them, just cut them in half and mixed with salt, pepper olive oil and fresh basil, she covered and let that 'rest' for a few hrs ..then mixed with pasta.that looked yummy!! http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/summer-garden-pasta-recipe/index.html

The Italian lady on the food network shows too did a yummy one today with stuffed peppers, and for filling was tomatos, grated zucchini, mint leaves, grated romano cheese, garlic chicken broth and orzo.. I usually like my peppers stuffed with mostly meat but I want to give these a try (maybe without the mint it sounds too weird for me). http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/orzo-stuffed-peppers-recipe/index.html
  • Kalynx
    Options
    you could roast the peppers and use them as a layer in a lasagna once you skin them...and of course make a nice fresh tomato sauce for that too..

instead of stuffed peppers you could cut them into wedges and bake in oven with a sprinkle of cheese until the cheese is bubbling for an easy tasty side dish.

or eat the peppers raw with a nice veggie dip. throw them on sandwiches or in wraps. Hmm Philly Cheese steak?

did I mention I love peppers and tomatos? lol I even dice fresh jalapenos and put it in my mac & cheese, adds such a nice flavor and not really 'heat.'
  • Kalynx
    Options
    yumm..or a homemade pizza with a sprinkle of your favorite cheese, tomato slices and some sliced peppers..who needs jarred sauce? phew i'm done I think!
  • prettybub
    prettybub Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Roast them with Brussels sprouts, pumpkin and zucchini and toss them in some olive oil and sprinkle with garlic powder and salt and Pepper. YUM!!! SOOOO yummy!
  • virginies
    virginies Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    There is a French dish called poulet basquaise, which is basically chicken cooked in green bell peppers and tomatoes. I substitute the whole chicken for chicken breast which I brown in 1 tbsp of olive oil. Remove the chicken and put the diced bell peppers in the pan.I let these cook on medium low for about15 mn so they become soft. Add diced tomatoes and chicken back in the pan. Salt and pepper to tast. Cover and simmer 15 to 20 mn on medium low. At the last minute, I remove the lid and turn on high to evaporate some of the juices.
  • Kalynx
    Options
    all that thinking about peppers and tomatos I had to use the last of my current stock to make home made pizzas today from scratch..yum!!
  • miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kbg01
    kbg01 Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks all- these are great ideas!
  • leslieanne1010
    leslieanne1010 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Kalynx
    Options
    found this recipe tonight ...i think i will be making it tomorrow.

http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1716,131180-249192,00.html

EGG AND BACON SAVOURY
    3 large eggs (whisked)
    8 slices back bacon (diced)
    1 medium onion (chopped)
    300g full flavour cheddar (grated)
    1 can chopped tomatoes
    1 tablespoon sage and onion stuffing mix (optional)

Put eggs, bacon, cheese, onion and tomatoes into a 3 litre (3 quart) casserole dish. Mix thoroughly. Add eggs and stir through mixture.
    Bake in a pre-heated oven gas mark 5/190c (about 375 degrees F) until golden and eggs are set.

Serve on buttered toast

Submitted by: C Lloyd
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Shakshuka!

Fill a pot 3/4 of the way with chopped tomatoes. Add some tomato paste and olive oil. Then you can add some combination of chopped onions, peppers, or spicy peppers (the spicy peppers are definitely traditional, but you could add some bell peppers to make it chunkier). Cook until it makes a nice, chunky tomato sauce. Add water during cooking if necessary.

Take a small fry pan and fill with the tomato sauce. Poach an egg in the hot tomato sauce. Done!
  • pollywollywoo
    Options
    Here's a recipe for you - I'm eating this right now! Mum made a big pot yesterday :)

It's from the CSIRO total well being diet by dr peter clifton

Roast red capsicum and tomato soup
    serves 4

2 red peppers, halved and seeded
    2 tbs olive oil
    1 large onion, finely sliced
    2 cloves garlic, crushed
    1 tbs tomato paste
    750 g ripe tomatoes, roughly chopped
    2 cups vegetable stock
    1 tablet equal (optional)
    1 handful basil, torn

1. Preheat oven to 180C (350F)
    2. Place peppers in a shallow baking dish skin side up and drizzle with half the oil. Roast for 25 minutes, or until softened
    3. Remove from oven, then cover with foil and allow to cool slightly
    4. Peel off and discard skin and roughly chop flesh
    5. Heat remaining oil in a large saucepan over medium heat
    6. Add onion and sauté until soft.
    7. Add garlic and tomato paste and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
    8. Add capsicum, tomato and stock, then cover and simmer for 15 mins
    9. Allow to cool slightly, then puree using a blender or hand held processor. For a sweeter soup add Equal.
    10. Reheat and serve sprinkled with basil
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    you could make up your own salsa recipe.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    love the sound of that Bacon and Egg savoury, that's one I'm going to try out - yum! just as well I've eaten lunch or my mouth would be watering! lol