How to change macros

Options
I just read you should shoot for 72 carbs/day. I can't find the screen that lets you make those changes. Can someone help me?

Replies

• Fairlady1964
    Fairlady1964 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Go to My Home
    Click on Goals
    Click on Change Goals
    Click on Custom (then continue)
    Edit what you want to change
  • Debbiedebbiey
    Debbiedebbiey Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Got it. THANKS !!!
  • kylethegirI
    Options
    72 CARBS A DAY? Fire whoever told you that.
  • wjrodgers78
    Options
    72 CARBS A DAY? Fire whoever told you that.

I'm guessing someone's never heard of ketosis / LCHF / diabetes. :huh:
  • vj1111
    vj1111 Posts: 2
    Options
    i have diabetes & it had begun to get out oof control & i had gained a lot of weight,,,, my doctor told me to shoot for around 40 carbs per meal & 2 snacks at about 15 each,,,,works out to 150 a day, and if you truly stick to it, you will lose,, i customised my caloriies at 1500 as i'm home bound most of the time & not able to do a lot of exercise (my back won't even let me walk).... i manage to lose 5 or 10 & then it's the weekend, about the only time i get out of the house, and 'treat' myself & gain it back, so i'm playing yoyo & i know i need to stop,,,,
    but ketoacidosis is a very real, very bad thing, so i'd get a 2nd or 3rd opinion on that 72 a day!
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    i have diabetes & it had begun to get out oof control & i had gained a lot of weight,,,, my doctor told me to shoot for around 40 carbs per meal & 2 snacks at about 15 each,,,,works out to 150 a day, and if you truly stick to it, you will lose,, i customised my caloriies at 1500 as i'm home bound most of the time & not able to do a lot of exercise (my back won't even let me walk).... i manage to lose 5 or 10 & then it's the weekend, about the only time i get out of the house, and 'treat' myself & gain it back, so i'm playing yoyo & i know i need to stop,,,,
    I'd have horrible glycemic control at 150g per day. On really heavy exercise days I might approach that, but normally I'm in the 40-80g per day range.

The amount of carbohydrate each individual diabetic can tolerate depends on a number of factors, and varies among individuals.
    but ketoacidosis is a very real, very bad thing, so i'd get a 2nd or 3rd opinion on that 72 a day!
    It's actually extremely rare to experience ketoacidosis as a low-carb / high-fat / moderate-protein diabetic. At 72g a day you're likely ketogenic, sure - but you also are very low glycemic. Ketoacidosis requires high levels of circulating glucose - which 72g a day simply won't provide. Ketoacidosis and hypoglycaemia BOTH are more common with MORE carbohydrate in the diet than with LOW levels of carbohydrate.

There's an excellent write-up on Ron Raab's site: http://www.diabetes-low-carb.org/ ... Ron is a Type I diabetic, the Vice-President of the International Diabetes Federation and one of the founding members of the charity "Insulin for Life".
  • vj1111
    vj1111 Posts: 2
    Options
    thanks for the reply & info.....
    i have an appointment tomorrow so i plan on bringing it up....
    i'm also a kidney patient & my doc is really careful.... they check my a1c, of course, and my creatinine, also, among all the other junk we get stuck with as we get older,,,,, (i'm 65)