Loose Skin, how to prevent?

Options
I have allot of weight to lose but the one thing that absolutely petrifies the life out of me is loose skin hanging afterwards. I would hate to loose all that weight and then left with another problem. I know surgery is an option if you are rich and can afford it but not me. Can anyone offer me exercise tips to help me along the way? To those that have lost allot of weight, have you noticed any loose skin or did anything different. By the way I have 196lbs left to lose. Any advice would be most appreciated, thanks in advance.

Replies

• Poorgirls_Diet
    Poorgirls_Diet Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Does nobody know anything about this?
  • ribena1958
    ribena1958 Posts: 152
    Options
    I'm afraid with the excess weight I have lost so far I have began to wrinkle like an elphant lol My son who is 26 lost just over 10 stone, went to the gym all in the time toniing, weights etc etc but he still ended up paying for his skin excess to be removed. I cannot afford this. I have no idea how to manage that part.
  • Poorgirls_Diet
    Options
    Thanks for the reply hun. I guess getting healthy is better than worrying about excess skin.
  • imsomony
    imsomony Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine lost nearly 150 pounds and ran into the trouble of loose skin on her belly, but nowhere else. She lost the weight gradually through diet/exercise, and slowly lowered her calories rather than beginning by eating at the weight she wanted to be.

In our untrained/unprofessional opinions, the extra skin (or lack-of) was correlated to this slower approach and whether or not she had stretch marks. If her skin scarred as it stretched, all the exercise in the world wasn't gonna bring it back. Like an elastic band that's broken along the way... there's only so much give until it won't spring back. If there's no elasticity left, then surgical intervention seems to be the only option.
  • rheavadas
    rheavadas Posts: 1
    Options
    I gained 75lbs when pregnant with my son. When I delivered him I was 225lbs. After loosing the normal 20 lbs one gains when pregnant. I was just over 200 lbs. It took me a long time to loose the weight but I can tell you that by loosing it slowly your body has a chance to adjust as you go. It took me at least three to four years to get the weight off. It was not easy at times but my best advice is make small changes that you feel good about. For example the first thing I did for myself was go from regular pop/soda to diet. Now looking back it was not a huge change but it was what I was able to do at the time. Then I would pick something else to change for ex...eating vegetables with my lunch. Just keep making small changes and you will one day end up where you want to be. I can tell you that the more weight I lost the better I felt. I never understood what it meant to be heavy until I was. My knees would hurt walking up stairs when I had the extra weight on. Any time you talk about a "diet" with someone they will tell you what is so much better than what you are talking about but just ignore what others say and do what works for you!!
  • jennkain97
    jennkain97 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/fitness/weight-loss/how-to-avoid-having-loose-skin-after-losing-weight.html

especially the part about eating a balanced diet, and COLLAGEN. i have read this many, many times. and if you think about it, collagen is what is prescribed for reducing/preventing facial wrinkles, so it only makes sense it would work for the whole body.

hope this helps, and good luck!!
  • DPernet
    DPernet Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Not much you can do from what I understand. Drink lots of water, use lots of skin firming lotion and hope for the best. I've also heard that dry-brushing the skin can help a little too.
  • NoMoreJellyRolls
    Options
    A friend of mine went from 350 to 165 and she doesn't have hanging skn. She does toning exercises, light lifting, and the resistance bands. Try researching information or consulting a personal trainer. Good luck
  • ddky
    ddky Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Have you watched "The Biggest Loser"? Those people lose 100-150 pounds and have very little saggy skin. So, I think that exercise must help a lot. I can't do nearly as much exercise as they do, but I am working out with 10 pound hand weights and hoping for the best.
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :drinker: I agree with the other Posters -- Staying Hydrated, Losing the weight slowly, and Consistent Strength Training are your best bets. Plus, time will let your skin continue to adjust even after you have stopped losing, so I am told. It might take 2 - 3 years, but your skin may firm up some.
  • Poorgirls_Diet
    Options
    Thanks for all of the replies they have helped out a great deal.
  • Lynn_SD
    Lynn_SD Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I believe that the trend in medicine, at least in the U.S., is to consider such surgery after massive weight loss to be a "medical necessity" and not just cosmetic. The loose skin can cause rashes, infections and interfere with weight maintenance exercise. You will need a doctor in your corner to document that the surgery is medically necessary. So don't just automatically assume you won't be able to have it.
  • eal12_00
    eal12_00 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Please help me....I have lost over 50 pounds slowly, worked out and all but i have loose skin under my chin and belly. I am trying to find the best OTC lotion to help firm it. I am almost to my goal but when i see my belly i want to lose more to get rid of it....Does anyone else have this problem and/or suggestions?
  • soulynyc
    soulynyc Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    i have lose skin on my belly already from the kids.. and gaining weight.. it's one of the things that i used as an excuse not to lose. but in the end i had to decide whether to stay fat or have some lose skin. both of which are quite burdensome. not sure how i will look in the end but i want to be able to move easily and breathe easily and I pray that the damage on the skin won't be too much. though the way it looks now i doubt it. :(
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    It's usually about genetics and how long the skin has been stretched.

Some things that can be done to help is lots of water and slow weight loss with strength training.

Unfortunately it's not something that can be prevented :(
  • NU2U
    NU2U Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I was under the impression that if you lose the weight slowly..rather than quickly....incorporate strength training..and drink lots of water....this will help dramatically improve the appearance. It wont prevent it altogether..but you'll likely have a lot less of it to deal with. The rest will eventually come off..or atleast redistribute.

Or not:-/
  • texastango
    texastango Posts: 309
    Options
    I was under the impression that if you lose the weight slowly..rather than quickly....incorporate strength training..and drink lots of water....this will help dramatically improve the appearance. It wont prevent it altogether..but you'll likely have a lot less of it to deal with. The rest will eventually come off..or atleast redistribute.

Or not:-/

Gotta Love it...and I second the above....(but I'm partial)...and although I have lots of knowlege about many things..this isn't one of them...However...I will ask some friends of mine that have educated knowlege about this and get back to you.

I am not sure about the elasticity of skin per se, but I believe that as listed above...if you take it off slowly and work on all the muscles around it (it's tough work..but still ...abs, obliques, etc...you can tighten it up...). I took this approach and it seemed to work. You also have to give it time...

If you deform a spongy for a short time...it pops back up. Deform it with a heavy weight for a long time and it might not pop back up as quickly or at all. So give your body a chance to catch up and work your abs into the ground....it's not going to be easy as far as I know...but it will work to a degree....just keep at it.

Surgery would be a last resort, but the easy answer....the harder you work for this ..the better it will be for you mentally and physicially in the future.

10 min a day/ 90 day abs - from my Professional Ballroom Coach who is 3 Time American 9 Dance Champion/ Yoga instructor / Former boyfriend a world class internationally known body builder - This was for "People without Abs - starter program: All can be done at home on a mat with added back support or a bench.

6 exercises each done for 30 seconds (3 minutes) repeated three times

1. Knees / feet in air. Ankles Crossed. On your back. Hands at side of head. Elbows to knee sit ups. 30 sec

2. Leg lifts - 8 inches off floor. Hold 1 second. Hands under butt supporting (30 seconds)

3. Bicycle - On back. Hands behind head. Legs bent off floor. Right elbow to left knee and then left elbow to right knee. (30 sec)

4. Punch through - Feet on floor, knees bent, sit up and punch fists between legs (30 sec)

5. Obliques - hands and side of head, Left leg bent. Foot on floor. Right ankle over left knee. Bring Left elbow to right knee (30s)

6. Obliques - repeat exercise #5 with Right leg bent, foot on floor, left ankle over right knee. Bring right elbow to left knee (30s)

Repeat this sequence 3 times (ie 3 sets)
    That's 9 minutes.
    Where's the 10th?

Last exercise after you are all done.
    7. Roll-up - back supported by hands inching up your back. Bring your feet to point at the ceiling as you roll vertically up. Hold. Do once.

Good Luck. Doesn't look that bad on paper...but if you have never done abs work before..it's not east to start and will burn in the abs region the second time through. It does work....and for me in 60 days I went from nothing to nearly a six pack. Still working on it with phase two...but just doing this helps. Check out the photo of my abs I took after just 60 days of doing this....(photos prior are there too).

8443442.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • Poorgirls_Diet
    Options
    Gotta Love it...and I second the above....(but I'm partial)...and although I have lots of knowlege about many things..this isn't one of them...However...I will ask some friends of mine that have educated knowlege about this and get back to you.

I am not sure about the elasticity of skin per se, but I believe that as listed above...if you take it off slowly and work on all the muscles around it (it's tough work..but still ...abs, obliques, etc...you can tighten it up...). I took this approach and it seemed to work. You also have to give it time...

If you deform a spongy for a short time...it pops back up. Deform it with a heavy weight for a long time and it might not pop back up as quickly or at all. So give your body a chance to catch up and work your abs into the ground....it's not going to be easy as far as I know...but it will work to a degree....just keep at it.

Surgery would be a last resort, but the easy answer....the harder you work for this ..the better it will be for you mentally and physicially in the future.

10 min a day/ 90 day abs - from my Professional Ballroom Coach who is 3 Time American 9 Dance Champion/ Yoga instructor / Former boyfriend a world class internationally known body builder - This was for "People without Abs - starter program: All can be done at home on a mat with added back support or a bench.

6 exercises each done for 30 seconds (3 minutes) repeated three times

1. Knees / feet in air. Ankles Crossed. On your back. Hands at side of head. Elbows to knee sit ups. 30 sec

2. Leg lifts - 8 inches off floor. Hold 1 second. Hands under butt supporting (30 seconds)

3. Bicycle - On back. Hands behind head. Legs bent off floor. Right elbow to left knee and then left elbow to right knee. (30 sec)

4. Punch through - Feet on floor, knees bent, sit up and punch fists between legs (30 sec)

5. Obliques - hands and side of head, Left leg bent. Foot on floor. Right ankle over left knee. Bring Left elbow to right knee (30s)

6. Obliques - repeat exercise #5 with Right leg bent, foot on floor, left ankle over right knee. Bring right elbow to left knee (30s)

Repeat this sequence 3 times (ie 3 sets)
    That's 9 minutes.
    Where's the 10th?

Last exercise after you are all done.
    7. Roll-up - back supported by hands inching up your back. Bring your feet to point at the ceiling as you roll vertically up. Hold. Do once.

Good Luck. Doesn't look that bad on paper...but if you have never done abs work before..it's not east to start and will burn in the abs region the second time through. It does work....and for me in 60 days I went from nothing to nearly a six pack. Still working on it with phase two...but just doing this helps. Check out the photo of my abs I took after just 60 days of doing this....(photos prior are there too).

8443442.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    [/quote]

Wow thanks for all the info and the exercise tips you are a star!! I will proper try those exercises out from now on, anything to just minimize the loose skin a bit. I know some people mentioned taking water a day but how much is enough? I drink about 2-3 litres a day but is this really enough?
  • TenderBranson
    TenderBranson Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    At that amount it's inevitable. You will have loose skin, that is a lot of weight to lose. The best way to help is to strength train & lose the weight over a long period of time. Good luck to you on your journey.
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    bump