Still can't believe it

Options
ConnieM20
ConnieM20 Posts: 493 Member
When I first started my weight loss journey, I told one of my "friends" that I was going to lose weight. (she is a model btw) So you know what she responded with? She said "I don't think you'll look good thin". This was over a year ago, and since then I've lost over 40 lbs. But I still think of this from time to time and STILL can't believe she told this to me. Has anyone ever had any negative comments when you told someone you wanted to get healthy?

Replies

• Katbaran
    Katbaran Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Of course you won't look good thin--you might look BETTER than her. It's her insecurity talkin' there!

I had my mother tell me I should just give up and accept that I will always be fat. THAT made me want to work harder to lose.
  • sandylion
    sandylion Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    When I first started my weight loss journey, I told one of my "friends" that I was going to lose weight. (she is a model btw) So you know what she responded with? She said "I don't think you'll look good thin". This was over a year ago, and since then I've lost over 40 lbs. But I still think of this from time to time and STILL can't believe she told this to me. Has anyone ever had any negative comments when you told someone you wanted to get healthy?

My family has been telling me forever I shouldn't loose weight, or I shouldn't loose too much, "5lbs is okay, but you better not loose too much!"

18lbs down and all I get is compliments! I know they're just worried I'll become obsessed and too skinny, but its frustrating!
  • tierneymichele
    Options
    A. you should have told her that you are fabulous and amazing and will great no matter what size you are. B. I saw your pictures on here and you look fantastic! Keep up the great work. It isn't always about just being skinny or getting into a bikini its about being healthier and enhancing your life. Someone who has to work hard to stay so small and fit in order to keep her job should be a lot more understanding of that and should have been more supportive.
  • snipermedic
    snipermedic Posts: 53
    Options
    Some ppl look good with weight on them. As a matter of fact, I just told someone on my friends list that they look great with some weight on. Skinny isnt the goal, healthy should be. Maybe it was a compliment?
  • Neahpata
    Neahpata Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    You were probably her fat friend, that she hung around to look good beside. Once you lost weight you became competition. I have people in family trying to discourage me from getting to my goal weight also saying that I won't look right or I can never get down to that size. (How the heck do they know how I will look at a size I've never been?)

btw, I saw your pics and you are gorgeous.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    When I was a young girl (about 8), we were watching Grease, and I commented that I wanted a pair of leather pants like Sandy's in the final scene. My Dad commented to me that I was too fat and would never look good in a pair of those. I know he meant well trying to motivate me, but my entire childhood my parents and teachers always told me how fat I was. I do believe it made me believe that was all I'd ever be.

When I started losing weight, I lost a little too fast at first and started looking sickly. My family kept telling me not to try so hard and that I shouldn't try to get too thin because I'll never be a "skinny-minny". Now here I am thinner than most of them because they keep finding what I lost. I am only two sizes away from being smaller than my middle sister and one away from being smaller than my mom, and I will have them all beat. I'm not stopping til I hit 150#...and I started at 450#. I love them, but they can suck it.
  • MsTae84
    MsTae84 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    When I tell people my goal weight they instantly tell me that I would look sick or my head will look big if I lose that much weight. I just respond with thanks.
  • MsTae84
    MsTae84 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    When I was a young girl (about 8), we were watching Grease, and I commented that I wanted a pair of leather pants like Sandy's in the final scene. My Dad commented to me that I was too fat and would never look good in a pair of those. I know he meant well trying to motivate me, but my entire childhood my parents and teachers always told me how fat I was. I do believe it made me believe that was all I'd ever be.

When I started losing weight, I lost a little too fast at first and started looking sickly. My family kept telling me not to try so hard and that I shouldn't try to get too thin because I'll never be a "skinny-minny". Now here I am thinner than most of them because they keep finding what I lost. I am only two sizes away from being smaller than my middle sister and one away from being smaller than my mom, and I will have them all beat. I'm not stopping til I hit 150#...and I started at 450#. I love them, but they can suck it.

I absolutely love your story! I get told things like that on a regular. It is always something like get use to it because your whole family is big. This is great inspiration.. Thanks!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Looking back on my before pictures, people told me, "you don't need to lose weight." Are they blind? Maybe they were trying to be nice, but definitely still irks me.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options

:heart: you so hard!!!! You'd look hot in a tight pair of pants now though. :smile:
  • ConnieM20
    Options
    Some ppl look good with weight on them. As a matter of fact, I just told someone on my friends list that they look great with some weight on. Skinny isnt the goal, healthy should be. Maybe it was a compliment?

Ohh no, she wasn't complimenting me. This is the girl who pretty much begged me to eat nachos and cheese with her after I JUST got done explaining to her how I'm changing what I eat. More like sabotage! I'm so glad she's not in my life anymore. But I know what youre saying, this just wasn't the case lol
  • ConnieM20
    Options

You show em! :)
  • ConnieM20
    Options
    You were probably her fat friend, that she hung around to look good beside. Once you lost weight you became competition. I have people in family trying to discourage me from getting to my goal weight also saying that I won't look right or I can never get down to that size. (How the heck do they know how I will look at a size I've never been?)

btw, I saw your pics and you are gorgeous.

Yea probably, and I totally understand. But you'll prove them wrong! Thank you for the compliment :)
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options

:heart: you so hard!!!! You'd look hot in a tight pair of pants now though. :smile:

:blushing: Thanks babe!! Not yet, but getting there :drinker: