MFP Pet Peeve: No Sources

Options
jadedone
jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
After looking at the 3rd of 4th post today with an uncredited article, I thought it was time for a little rant.

Why do so many people copy articles, blog posts, whatever word for word and not credit the source at all. Not including a link to the original place they saw it or the name of the publication.

Some people mention that they read it somewhere else, but rarely do I actually see an actual link to wherever it came from.

Before I trust an article on XYZ, I want to see if the source is a certified personal trainer. A respected media source. A science journal. Or Mary Jo from Kansas sharing her experience. All of these people deserve to credited for their writing.

So please, include a link to where-ever you got that piece of helpful advice before hitting post topic.

Replies

• harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Agreed .... Would be sooooo helpful. I'm a big believer in educating ourselves ...being able to track down the article, etc. to read more would be great
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    Yes! Post sources, people!
  • javamonster
    javamonster Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    This is my biggest peeve about the forums too (and the reason I just stay away, because it makes me stabby). I :heart: you. :laugh:
  • stingraycat
    stingraycat Posts: 33
    Options
    Agreed
  • jalara
    jalara Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    Great post! I completely agree.

It's great to try to educate one another, but the best way to do that is to give people the information, the source and allow them to arrive to the same conclusion themselves :)
  • daves160
    daves160 Posts: 600
    Options
    But then people couldn't pontificate and spew diarrhea of the mouth without being called out on it.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    But I thought everything on theinternet was for realz.

I do agree with you, though. :smile:
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    I agree. I usually google everything I can find when it comes to diet....alot of it is misinformation also.
  • frootcat
    frootcat Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I agree that sources deserve to be credited.

That said... if I am curious about the source of something without a link, I copy a big section of the text and Google it. It doesn't solve the problem of the text being credited (unless I link it myself), but at least I can get to the source. FWIW.