LOW CARB DIET

Options
2»

Replies

• suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Dieting just for the sake of losing weight doesn't last. You low carb then later return to eating them and you'll gain a sufficient amount of the weight back.
    Unless you're willing to stay on a low carb diet, then it shouldn't be one you need to pursue for lifelong weight management.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I keep hearing this...if after a low carb cycle, you then eat carbs again, you will gain the weight back? this is assuming a total caloric surplus when adding the carbs back? correct?

if you add carbs back but maintain a deficit or maintenance level you wont gain the weight back?

I know I hear mixed things but I will do what my DR wants...

Cold day in hell when I listen to my doctor for nutritional advice. I think the majority of them have like a MINUSCULE amount of time dedicated to nutrition and actually understanding it. This is not who I want my advice from.

well I saw a dietitian as well and she agreed..... I think I will take their advice they have the degrees after all

Yeh, I would take their advice in this instance. Did the dietician specify a carb amount for you? Your doctors recommendation from South Beach to Atkins is quite a difference in carb amounts.
  • mkcmurphy
    mkcmurphy Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I did South Beach. Arguments above not withstanding, I found the food choices/recipies are generally good/very good. After the initial weaning off period, I found that the deisre for the super-sweet stuff was almost nil. Good luck!
  • egrigsby1979
    Options
    I would suggest Primal Blueprint. goto marksdailyapple.com
  • fraser112
    fraser112 Posts: 405
    Options
    Remember that weight you regain has zero effect on your fat levels

as long as you accept the starting weight loss and any cheats are not fat related its really irelavent
  • AbbeyRysMom
    AbbeyRysMom Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Dieting just for the sake of losing weight doesn't last. You low carb then later return to eating them and you'll gain a sufficient amount of the weight back.
    Unless you're willing to stay on a low carb diet, then it shouldn't be one you need to pursue for lifelong weight management.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I keep hearing this...if after a low carb cycle, you then eat carbs again, you will gain the weight back? this is assuming a total caloric surplus when adding the carbs back? correct?

if you add carbs back but maintain a deficit or maintenance level you wont gain the weight back?

I know I hear mixed things but I will do what my DR wants...

Cold day in hell when I listen to my doctor for nutritional advice. I think the majority of them have like a MINUSCULE amount of time dedicated to nutrition and actually understanding it. This is not who I want my advice from.

I am so with you on this. Doctors take MAYBE one nutrition class in undergrad school. Nutrition is an ever-evolving study that takes constant attention to keep up with. I will never listen to a doctor for nutrition advice. This is courtesy of my BS in Nutrition and Dietetics, where I took many MANY of the same classes as the "pre-med" students, and went WAY further into Nutritional Biochemistry than any undergrad should ever have to go, lol.

ETA: I forgot my actual POINT. I think low carb is a good way of LIFE rather than eating. I felt a LOT better when I was eating a lower carb diet. I modified Atkins to fit into my own life, sort of did more "maintenance" Atkins than the induction phase. I have been nursing or pregnant for the last almost 5 years, so I can't cut entire things out of my diet. Atkins and SB have similar ideals. I think the "new" Paleolithic Diet seems like a pretty well rounded way of eating for life, rather than just weight loss, which is what you seem to have in mind :)
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    south beach really worked for me but I found it really hard to maintain, I'm a real ***** without at least a tiny bit of carbs lol. I found these Low Carb, Whole Wheat tortillas at the grocery store that only have like 3 net carbs total and are delicious and I use them in place of bread or regular tortillas which seems to help me cut down the carbs but still get my fix.
  • erby2283
    erby2283 Posts: 13
    Options
    I started using myfitnesspal 4/11 and set it up to lose a pound a week. I only lost about 6 pounds after week 5. I created a spreadsheet and what I found was that my highest % or caloric intake was from carbs. I know from losing weight years ago that carbs are not my friend. So, at a friends advice, I switched it up so that 50% of my caloric intake is from protein, 30% fat and 20% carbs. So far I lost 3 pounds. It is really hard for me bc I am such a picky eater and do not eat any fish and eat very few veggies an fruits.

Just remember not to cut out all your carbs completely and realize that you will probably have to limit your carbs in order to keep any lost weight from coming back. But, if you eat as many carbs as I do, it's probably healthier to do that! Good luck!
  • ashjdavis88
    ashjdavis88 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I lost over 80lbs doing a ketosis diet, and went back and forth for a few months, and since January have been doing a regular / moderate carb diet. I have not gained ANY weight back, and have lost an additional 15lbs. 3 away from a normal BMI, dangit!

That being said, I don't eat pasta and white bread. I get my carbs from fruits, sweet potatoes, ezekiel bread, occasional ice cream ;)

It can be done!
  • NCVF
    NCVF Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I cook A LOT. Usually i'll cook on the weekend and have most of my meals made for the week. If I don't have a healthy low carb meal ready when i'm hungry, I get too tempted to eat something i shouldn't. Anyway, my point is, preparing your meals will be important. And get creative with your cooking. Keep a lot of healthy snacks in the house and take them out and about with you. Don't let yourself get too hungry, snack. I make a lot of stews and soups. Seafood, yummy salads, i get creative with my eggs. And every now and then, i'll enjoy a nice piece of steak as a treat. Also, after about 2 days, the carb cravings go away. Best of luck!