am I eating low cal or is it all in my head?

Options
Am I overthinking this?

I am allowed 1460, I exercise roughly 400-500, I eat around 1600 (I net below BMR but eat over BMR) I dont feel starving but have no energy at the end of the day. I am breastfeeding a 7 month old also. (I am 5'5 and 31yr)

I am reading the groups on eat more to weigh less etc, and am wondering if eating 1600 is considered low cal (or is that aimed at the 1000-1200 eaters)

Or am I just looking for an excuse to EAT! lol

I eat a lot, but it is all raw vegies and omelettes nothing with FLAVOUR, so I think I am feeling full but not satisfied ?

Replies

• Shannonlastname
    Shannonlastname Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Are you factoring in the calories burned producing milk? I've read varying accounts of just exactly how many calories we are talking here but I've heard that it is roughly 500cals a day.

Something to think about.
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I think you are too low, personally. When I was breastfeeding, I needed WAY more calories. How is your milk supply?
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    You can enter in breastfeeding in the food section. It gives you negative calories, but you can even see the amounts and or times a day and just calculate it like that. :)
  • purdieang
    purdieang Posts: 43
    Options
    hi, thanks for the replies, milk supply is ok for now, I am a LLL leader so am not worried in that department, just wondered if I am eating enough overall, as today for instance I have eaten about 1500 and burned 600 my net is only 845 - even if I ate to my BMR I would now have to have another entire meal to get there, I could do it, i'm always peckish, but my body doesnt lose weight if I eat any more than 1500. The numbers just dont make sense to me :-)
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    How tall are you and how much weight you looking to lose ?

Your dinners are often very low in protein and fat, which means they are mainly "here now gone in a hour" carbs - hence you have the chinese meal syndrome of being hungry an hour after stuffing yourself. Get some fats and protein in there - protein and carbs have the same calories per gram.
  • purdieang
    purdieang Posts: 43
    Options
    hi thanks for your help am 5'5 and trying to get from 71 to 60kg (was 79kg 8 weeks ago)
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Try to eat more if you are feeling tired and such at the end of the day. Not a ton though... I did that and it worked out great. Taking a daily multivitmain also helped for me but you wanna make sure it's something you can take while feeding baby.

Do you add the calories for breastfeeding? A baby that is only breastfeeding usually allows the mother an extra 500 cals a day.

Try switching up what you eat. You can eat things with TONS of flavour! Spices are low cal. Cooked veggies are low cal.
  • awkwardstance
    Options
    And fruits! Full of delicious, natural carbs :)
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    If you are eating 1600, minus 400 for exercise, minus 400 for breastfeeding, then you are netting 800. Way too low! I wouldn't have any energy either. And I'd be grumpy, headachy, etc.

Am I overthinking this?

I am allowed 1460, I exercise roughly 400-500, I eat around 1600 (I net below BMR but eat over BMR) I dont feel starving but have no energy at the end of the day. I am breastfeeding a 7 month old also. (I am 5'5 and 31yr)

I am reading the groups on eat more to weigh less etc, and am wondering if eating 1600 is considered low cal (or is that aimed at the 1000-1200 eaters)

Or am I just looking for an excuse to EAT! lol

I eat a lot, but it is all raw vegies and omelettes nothing with FLAVOUR, so I think I am feeling full but not satisfied ?
  • srpm
    srpm Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    hi, thanks for the replies, milk supply is ok for now, I am a LLL leader so am not worried in that department, just wondered if I am eating enough overall, as today for instance I have eaten about 1500 and burned 600 my net is only 845 - even if I ate to my BMR I would now have to have another entire meal to get there, I could do it, i'm always peckish, but my body doesnt lose weight if I eat any more than 1500. The numbers just dont make sense to me :-)
    You're not eating enough. You want your net to be at least at the 1200 mark, especially when breastfeeding. I usually try to keep my net on the high side of between 1200 and my goal for the day.