How long did it take for you to be able to run a 5k?

Options
iKapuniai
iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
Hi. So... for years I've dreamed of becoming a runner. And I would literally have dreams about running. I would wake up in the morning with the strongest urge to just get up and run, and when I did I realized I could barely make it down my driveway without huffin', puffin' and crampin'. I'm about 140lbs overweight (currently 320lbs) and as much as I know I need to strength train, I'd really like to make running my main focus. There's a few 5ks coming up in September (3 months away!) and I can only run for 1 minute straight right now, with about a 1 to 2 minute walk to recover.

At first I thought I should focus on losing weight before even bothering to do any sort of walking/running event, but I've read so many stories about overweight people still attending races and such, and it just really inspired me. I'd like to be one of those people!

So my question is... for those who were ever in the same boat as I and could only run for a minute at a time, how long did it take for you to build yourself up to running a 5k?? I doubt 3 months will give me enough time, but it doesn't look like there are many events after September, and I'd hate to wait until next spring/summer!!

Thank you all!

Love and Alohas,
Ihilani Kapuniai

Replies

• wiffe
    wiffe Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Check into the Couch to 5K program.

How often are you able to do the 1 min run 1-2 min recover. How many times?
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I did C25K and completed it in about 12 weeks (my daughter was ill for 3 weeks, I had to take a hiatus). I was never a runner, never wanted to run, never believed I could run. If I can do it, someone who wants it can do it for sure. I love running now, I am actually kinda getting into trail running after a year and a half of road running. It's awesome!
  • Alanakrahenbil
    Alanakrahenbil Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    You should try C25k! It's an 8 week program that builds you up to running 5 k. It took me about 10 weeks and now every run is 5k! I love it!
  • KLD81230
    KLD81230 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    The great thing about most 5Ks are that you CAN run for a minute and then walk until you're ready to run again! :)

Some people walk a 5K and that is just fine! You go for it and sign up! It will be great fun, and great motivation for running for longer and longer stretches... something you WILL find happening!

Like many probably will also, I recommend the C25K (Couch to 5K) app. It was a great helper for me in the beginning. I never finished it because I found myself running longer and further than the set schedule, but it was GREAT for the early stages when I was only able to run a couple of minutes!

Go for it!
  • Luciendasky
    Luciendasky Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Nevermind... in the time it took me to type what I did, several people already gave you the same advice. Good luck!
  • beyg
    beyg Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    is not easy don't get discourage, try one of the chair to 5 k programs, take your time. start small be consistent. Running every other day may be helpful and prevents injuries.
  • terraskye
    terraskye Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Hi. So... for years I've dreamed of becoming a runner. And I would literally have dreams about running. I would wake up in the morning with the strongest urge to just get up and run, and when I did I realized I could barely make it down my driveway without huffin', puffin' and crampin'. I'm about 140lbs overweight (currently 320lbs) and as much as I know I need to strength train, I'd really like to make running my main focus. There's a few 5ks coming up in September (3 months away!) and I can only run for 1 minute straight right now, with about a 1 to 2 minute walk to recover.

At first I thought I should focus on losing weight before even bothering to do any sort of walking/running event, but I've read so many stories about overweight people still attending races and such, and it just really inspired me. I'd like to be one of those people!

So my question is... for those who were ever in the same boat as I and could only run for a minute at a time, how long did it take for you to build yourself up to running a 5k?? I doubt 3 months will give me enough time, but it doesn't look like there are many events after September, and I'd hate to wait until next spring/summer!!

Thank you all!

Love and Alohas,
    Ihilani Kapuniai

I'm just as obsessed with running as you are. I'm doing the couch to 5k program but I'm giving myself until next Spring to actually run a 5k race.

Please feel free to friend me if you want and we can help motivate each other:)
  • rockyshrode
    rockyshrode Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    great topic! bump
  • HowieTwoPointZero
    HowieTwoPointZero Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I hit 5k last week. It took me slight over an hour. So far you're all beating me!
  • iKapuniai
    Options
    I heard about the C25K... started it, never got passed week 1 lol
    How often are you able to do the 1 min run 1-2 min recover. How many times?

The last time I did it, I only did it for about 10 minutes... but I think the 45 minute strength training and 20 minute cardio session I did right before that really had to do with my endurance... I was already pretty tired when I started lol

My thing is... I think my heart can handle it, meaning I don't think I'd get nearly as winded as I thought I would (which is surprising and wonderful!), but my calves and ankles are what hinder me from continuing beyond the 1 minute... they start to ache... probably because the massive excess weight it's holding, plus they're pretty weak.
    You should try C25k! It's an 8 week program that builds you up to running 5 k. It took me about 10 weeks and now every run is 5k! I love it!

Congratulations! That's awesome! :) I think it would take me much longer than 8, or even 10 weeks... so my 3 month window is really pushing it.
    I did C25K and completed it in about 12 weeks (my daughter was ill for 3 weeks, I had to take a hiatus). I was never a runner, never wanted to run, never believed I could run. If I can do it, someone who wants it can do it for sure. I love running now, I am actually kinda getting into trail running after a year and a half of road running. It's awesome!

That's what I like to hear! How much did you weigh when you did it? Were you still pretty overweight, or are you already at your goal?
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    I did my first session of c25k on Feb 28th and I ran my first 5k today, May 28th! I wasn't super fast, but I ran the whole thing without stopping, which was my goal. It was so fun!
  • iKapuniai
    Options
    I did my first session of c25k on Feb 28th and I ran my first 5k today, May 28th! I wasn't super fast, but I ran the whole thing without stopping, which was my goal. It was so fun!

Awesome! Congratulations. :) That's exactly my goal too... I don't care about my speed or even if I come in last place, my goal is to run the entire time without stopping or walking.
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options

Awesome! Congratulations. :) That's exactly my goal too... I don't care about my speed or even if I come in last place, my goal is to run the entire time without stopping or walking.

You can totally do it! c25k eases you into running slowly. If you feel like it, you can repeat weeks as needed, too. A lot of people do. I think you'll do great!
  • Buettner22
    Buettner22 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    You can totally do the C25K program and be ready by Sept! I signed myself up for 2, 5K's in June and was determined to do them. I had to squeeze 4 weeks into 2 weeks because i had to stop running for a few weeks due to a nasty blister which by the way DO NOT RUN IN COTTON SOCKS!!! I found that out the hard way :( Anyway this Saturday will be my very first 5K and I'm so excited because last week for the first time EVER I ran 3 miles straight. I was slow and my ankles, calves, shins and thighs were all killing me but i pushed through the pain and did it. Its not gonna be easy and your gonna be super sore all the time at first but its due able and when you run 3 miles for the first time its incredible! I just recommend staying hydrated all day long and eating a lot of fiber because it helps your muscles recover. I am also a HUGE fan of Epson salt. I soak in that stuff at least 5 times a week, the magnesium absorbs in your body and it helps your muscles recuperate too! Good luck and I know you can do this and I suggest going ahead and signing up for a 5k in Sept. for 2 reasons. 1. it makes you work towards a goal, so on days you don't want to run you know you have to. and 2. Whether you have to walk some of the race or not its still a huge accomplishment for yourself. Good luck girl and i can't wait for a post in sept saying you completed your first 5k!!!!
  • privatecitizen
    privatecitizen Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You might be able to do it 12 weeks, though, I think a better goal would be to run without stopping for 30 minutes. From there, you can decide if you wish to run a 5k based on the amount of distance you covered within that time. The training program I followed was as follows:

http://running.about.com/od/getstartedwithrunning/ht/getstarted.htm

The important thing is to try and stay consistent and not expect too much. For myself, I created smaller goals to keep the motivation up (i.e. run continuously for 5 min, 10 min, 20 min, etc). It is easy to get discouraged but as long as you get better each week, you can claim it as a victory! Now, my latest run, I was able to log 15k and am training for the half marathon.

Good luck!
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Just do it. C25K is he best option. I'm still on week 5 but I've had other goals. I'm currently 225ishlbs and ran my first 4 run on Sunday. 34:37 minutes! (included losing my license, turning around to look for it and then going back) I would never expected to enjoy it but I'm lovig it. Going to join my city's running club. Doing a 5km on July 1st. My goal is to do a 13 run at the end of August. I might not be able to run the whole thing but I will finish!