? about body fat %

Options
How do you measure YOUR body fat %? i dont really have access to equipment to have it tested, so i was looking through different websites that use your measurements and calculate it for you. i tried probably 8 different sites, and got a HUGE range of anywhere between 27% and 47% body fat. USING THE SAME MEASUREMENTS!!! so what do i go by? i would really like to try to monitor this as well as just my measurements, but i dont want to be thinking im at 27 when im really above 40. and i dont want to get really discouraged thinking its that high when im really almost in the normal range. i mean, i really dont think im down as low as 27% but i dont think im at 47 either. any suggestions? is there a site that you use that you know is accurate?

Replies

• IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    well, most nutritionists and personal trainers will have a little hand held device that measures it and all you need is one session. maybe if you belong to a gym, you can ask if they have one you can use really quick?

another suggestion is to contact your local running or biking store and see if they can refer you to a place that does it. in my city, we have a place that will do a hydro-measurement for body fat for about $30, and they re test you for $20 each time.

I know it's not a website but maybe it'll help?? :)
  • snkoyle15
    snkoyle15 Posts: 102
    Options
    im not a gym member, dont have the $40+ a month so that ones out. and the only gym in the area that is actually affordable, doesnt do anything special really, so i dont know if they do this or not.
  • snkoyle15
    snkoyle15 Posts: 102
    Options
    bumb, anyone else?!?!
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    I use the bod pod. Online calculators are highly inaccurate at times. However if it's your only way; pick one and stick with it and monitor it to make sure the numbers go down. Research your area; if you want a professional measurement you will be able to find something.
  • FruityLoops
    FruityLoops Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I got a little hand-held body fat tester from my local pharmacy about 7 years ago, was about £5. Not sure what you have available in the US though, but it was similar to these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lloyds-Pharmacy-BODY-COMPOSITION-MONITOR-Hand-Held-BNIB-/150580929970?pt=UK_Health_Beauty_Mobility_Disability_Medical_ET&hash=item230f52a5b2

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hand-Held-Body-Composition-Monitor-BMI-Body-Fat-Check-/390261718075?pt=UK_Sporting_Goods_Activity_Monitoring_MJ&hash=item5add693c3b

They're not as accurate as those big machine things you can sit in to have it checked, but at most they're usually only a few % off I think (as they check the body fat in your arms rather than whole body) and as long as you use just that one to monitor it then you'll obv be able to see the trend going down hopefully :-)
  • SashThompson
    SashThompson Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Have a look on eBay for a pair of body fat calipers and do a little bit of research on measuring body fat %. The typical sites you measure with calipers are tricep, belly button, hip and thigh. And there are many formulas that you can use to calculate body fat % using those measurements rather than normal measurements. It's a little bit more accurate than the digital measurers and a lot of the time you can if your losing body fat % by simply pinching the areas that I mentioned before and seeing the thickness of the loose fat there.
  • scythswife
    scythswife Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    http://www.heartratemonitorsusa.com/sequoia-metacal.html price includes shipping and comes with directions and chart
  • pgp90xer
    pgp90xer Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    The calipers are the way to go and the easiest to use. I use the website: www.linearsoftware.com. It is very detailed and also has short movie clips showing you exactly how to test each body part. Happy pinching!!