low cal drinks?

Options
i am finding a hard time finding drinks that allow me to stay with in my cal goal. i cut out soda which doesnt bother me but i can only drink so much h2o.. and even a glass of milk seems to be hard to fit in some days.. any suggestions?
ash

Replies

• Embera
    Embera Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    mixes like crystal lite are good they add flavor with little calories or you could try mio
  • mandylanerocks
    mandylanerocks Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I've been using MiO alot.. but eventually I get tired of that... but I love drinking GREEN TEA!! its pretty low calories! especially if you get actually TEA bags & make it like that. (which you can count the water in the tea as water on your log!) if you buy pre-made jugs--like by Arizona-- it will more than likely have sugar added (I think?) so it will have calories, but its still pretty low....or try diet green tea.... I love it. Green tea is actually supposed to help boost your metabolism too! :) I used to drink hot green tea early mornings instead of coffee!
    Which, speaking of coffee, its usually 0 calories (depends on the roast & brand) until you add sugar & creamer!!! :):):)
  • suzzann666
    suzzann666 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    iced coffee w/ a splash of skim milk
  • lenaelkins
    lenaelkins Posts: 27
    Options
    green tea! iced or hot. not only is it 0 cals, but it helps weight loss!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I really dislike the taste of artificial sweeteners, so I look for other options.
    Most of the time I drink water, but if I want a change (or if it's nearly winter and I'm cold - like right now!) I'll drink:
    - black coffee
    - skinny latte - about 60 cals/cup so this is a treat that I only have once or twice a week.
    - herbal tea. My favourite is lemon and ginger but I'll drink most lemony ones or camomile.
    - hot water with fresh lemon slices
    - hot water with fresh ginger. A work colleague gave me a cup of this yesterday and it was great! Only if you like ginger though, it is pretty strong.
    - green tea (with nothing added). Don't let it brew too long, it gets bitter.

If I want a cold drink (other than water):
    - sparkling mineral water or plain soda water. If I'm out I'll have this with a slice of lemon and a straw and it looks like a "real" drink so people don't bug you about not drinking alcohol!
    - water with a slice of lemon
    - tomato juice - relatively low in cals but very high in sodium. I only have this every now and again
    - pineapple juice or apple juice mixed half/half with water. I treat them like flavouring now, this reduces the cals by half.
  • Raeca89
    Raeca89 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    - I love hot teas when I wanna have a ton of flavor. And there are TONS of flavors so you can have everything from lemon to berry to green to black teas.
    - I've recently discovered the flavored waters and sports drinks are amazing. Try Activate Vitamin Water, VitaminWaterZero, or other "Zero" type drinks. (Think Powerade, Gatorade, etc.)
    - I am addicted to my LoCal Monsters and Sugar Free Rockstar Energy drinks which have only 10 or 20 calories per 16 oz can. There are several more to appeal to different flavor palates just make sure to go for the sugarfree/lo-cal versions.
    - "Skinny" cafe drinks are surprisingly low in calories, generally about 80 calories or so for a small.
    - I don't tend to like alternative sweeteners either but I didn't mind PepsiNext...

I agree with what everyone else has said too. Mio is great :P Great suggestions! :D
  • krisaddress
    krisaddress Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Ive been drinking my version of 'fake wine'... I even serve it up to my friends

I get a really big wine glass and add a little lite lime juice cordial then top it up with mineral or soda water..

Caution... Wouldn't recommend sculling it in front of the husband when he doesn't know what your drinking :)
  • Wheatfreenow
    Options
    Ive been drinking my version of 'fake wine'... I even serve it up to my friends

I get a really big wine glass and add a little lite lime juice cordial then top it up with mineral or soda water..

Caution... Wouldn't recommend sculling it in front of the husband when he doesn't know what your drinking :)
  • Wenchilada
    Wenchilada Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I bought some Sweet Leaf flavored stevia drops tonight, sort of an impulse buy, but I figured I have been buying a lot of Crystal Light packets and all that artificial sweetener can't be super healthy. Plus, I have generally liked the taste of stevia since I first tried it several years ago. I tried the Lemon Drop flavor tonight, and added some to my bottled water. I really like it. I won't add so much next time, though (I put a full dropper in a quart of water... wayyy too sweet) - but one dropper bottle ought to last for quite a while. I got mine on sale at the grocery store for $10.99 tonight but I've seen them for much cheaper on Amazon - I just wanted to make sure that I didn't hate it before I went buying in bulk! My dad says the root beer one is great - might be even better in some club soda or sparkling water! I also got peppermint and English toffee, which I'm gonna try in my tea, coffee, and/or protein shakes.

Here is a link to the lemon flavor:
    http://www.amazon.com/SweetLeaf-Liquid-Sweetener-2-Ounce-Bottles/dp/B001E5E3MQ/
  • Wheatfreenow
    Options
    Great idea! My latest thing is if I go out and I really want to have a drink with my friends, I ask the waiter to fill my wine glass with ice. I mean really fill it to the brim before topping it with wine. Psycologically it works. I'm having a glass of wine, right?
  • bluex232
    bluex232 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I cut out soda too when I joined the site. Now I drink Minute Maid LIGHT Lemonade (5 calories a can) and there are a lot of restaurants that serve it too (since that is where I find it the hardest to find something to drink that doesn't have as many calories as the meal)!
  • mrs_deg1983
    mrs_deg1983 Posts: 157
    Options
    i am finding a hard time finding drinks that allow me to stay with in my cal goal. i cut out soda which doesnt bother me but i can only drink so much h2o.. and even a glass of milk seems to be hard to fit in some days.. any suggestions?
    ash

Diet pop is fine. That no cal stuff you put in water i hear is good. I like coffee so it helps.
  • mrs_deg1983
    Options
    Minute Maid LIGHT Lemonade (5 calories a can)!

My hubby loves that stuff. Gives me heart burn though.l
  • mrs_deg1983
    Options
    Great idea! My latest thing is if I go out and I really want to have a drink with my friends, I ask the waiter to fill my wine glass with ice. I mean really fill it to the brim before topping it with wine. Psycologically it works. I'm having a glass of wine, right?

I like that!
  • Piercey_24
    Piercey_24 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    thanks guys!!! i added mio to my list of things to get! and i love the wine ideas!!! never even gave diet soda a thought but ill get hooked on soda again i know me lol you guys are all amazing thank you so much!!
    ash