Feeling like quitting...

Options
Does anyone else feel just really discouraged? I started out weighing about 170 lbs at 5'5 and now I'm at 159 after less than 2 weeks. I have a tendency to lose weight fast when I stick to a diet & workout plan, but I just start to feel so frustrated after a while. Everything I do seems to revolve around calories consumed, calories burned, weight, working out, etc. I feel like my life revolves around myfitnesspal, the food I eat, and how many calories I burn or don't burn.

Plus, I was reading (I believe it was a thread) about how the goal weight's people set for themselves. My goal weight is 145 which I weighed about a year ago, but when I think about it, I know that when I reach that weight I'm going to want to weigh even less & at that point I think I'll just be so consumed, exhausted, and over the whole weight-loss thing that I'll just end up not being at a healthy weight again. Plus, when I read some of the goals people set for themselves, for example to weigh 125 at 5'5, I started to think that I'm still going to be fat at 145. Ugh, I don't know. I just find this "journey" to be so difficult...can anyone relate? Advice?

Replies

• DeanneLea
    DeanneLea Posts: 261
    Options
    I totally get what you mean. Unfortunately, I just had to face facts and realize that because I was overweight once, I would need to spend that extra time and thought on losing and maintaining. I would so much rather work hard and put the thought into it than let myself go. For me, the good(results) far outweigh the bad(the extra work).

Oh and congrats on your loss so far!
  • voyagerintrepid
    voyagerintrepid Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Well first off take a deep breath. It'll be alright. I do feel discouraged. I feel discouraged that I LET myself get this fat. I'm discouraged I didn't do something sooner! But that doesn't matter now because I took the first step. Do you feel like this is a lifestyle change? Like you are going to get healthy and stay that way? You kind of just have to take it meal by meal, workout by workout, and day by day. I realize that may not be entirely helpful but focusing on the present helps me deal with things.

I'm also 5'5" and your goal weight of 145 isn't unrealistic at all. Mine's 150-160 because I know that's what I can maintain long term. My doctor was okay with that. If I go under 150 I look skeletal and sickly for my body type. I was down to 130 for a while. Couldn't maintain it and I felt that I looked terrible. Your goal is about where YOU can maintain and where YOU feel good. If you ask any medical professional, especially a dietitian you'll find that being 125 at our height is slightly underweight. You need to do what's HEALTHY for YOU. I don't know how helpful that actually was but it's my two pennies. :ohwell:
  • iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I've felt this way forever... but I had to realize that if losing weight and becoming healthier is what I really wanted/needed, then quitting is just NOT an option. Keep your head up and keep on truckin'.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Today was a day off work for me and I had lots of stuff planned for this evening. I didn't get up till 8 and thought 'Hey, you're close to your goal weight. Your pants are already falling off cause your love handles are gone. Do you really need to push it and get a six-pack abs?" Of course not. I'm actually really fit right now but why would I settle for good when I can do better? I did my cardio first thing before breakfast and hit the gym after lunch too and lifted weights like a beast. Why? Because I chose to.

Accept your weight as 145 cause Hey you're not 170 anymore and that's a fantastic thing. If that's good enough for you then stop there and just coast. Or you could work a bit more and try to top yourself. Don't kid yourself. You're going to need to work on this no matter if you're 125 or 200 pounds. It's way easier to keep it under 130 than it will be to try to work back down from 200 to 170 again. If you live in America you either monitor what you eat or you get fatter and fatter. There is no sideline.

Once you get to where you want to be maintenance is so much easier. You'll get back nearly 500 calories a day since you're not trying to drop and you can probably get away with no eating as clean. It won't be any more difficult than trying to keep it from going from 170 to 200, you'll just be in a better place to make that decision.
  • suzyq8721
    suzyq8721 Posts: 2
    Options
    Quitting will only make you feel worse. It's like knowing what you should be doing and pushing it somewhere inside you. It will bother you at some level and make you feel bad about yourself. I have been heavy and thin. Every time I get heavy I wonder how I let it get to that...again! Don't ignore that voice that wants to feel good about yourself. You are worth it!