20 years old and sick of being over 250lbs!!!

Options
I'm Kirsty from Bury and I recently went to the doctor for a check up and was told i have a 'horrendous body mass index'. Which scared the life out of me!!!

I want to finally be healthy i'm currently 265lbs and really need help!!! I'm a snacker and love anything from chocolate to crisps. Love takeaways and i'm a big binge drinking too!

How do you guys find the motivation to eat healthily? And can anyone suggest healthy snacks that actually fill you up????

Lots of love, Kirst xo

Replies

• TeddyBear47
    TeddyBear47 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Hi Kirsty, here are a couple of tips

1. Keep track of the food you eat. Sounds easy but most people underestimate their calories by 50%.

2. Don't skip meals. The reason for this is simple, when you skip a meal you are hungrier longer. This will trigger something in your brain that will draw you to high calorie foods (cravings). If you can eat at regular intervals, that will help.

3. Low fat dairy that is high in calcium actually traps fat and keeps it from absorbing into your system. In other words you poop it out.

4. Protein will keep you full longer and it has the added benefit of retaining or gaining some muscle.

5. Exercise has the added benefit of after-burn. When you exercise you deplete your fat stores, not many but enough that in the next 22 hours they will have to be replenished and thats where the weight loss comes in.

6. Any exercise is good for you. Take the stairs, park away from the building, walk to the corner grocery store, take a bike ride. Everything doesn't have to be an all out exercise attack. Anything you can do will help.

GOOD LUCK
  • Venturin
    Venturin Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Hi Kirsty welcome to MFP.

Teddy Bear gave lots of good advice.

If you really want to lose weight (and you should really want to) you have to go all in. Read all about diet and exercise, find healthy foods that you like, stop all the take away and the sugary & high calorie snacks, get up, get out and exercise and keep at it.

It's not just a diet, it's an entire lifestyle change, and guess what? It's a total blast! Join in, give it your all and reap the benefits. It's all good and it's all for the good.

Good luck!
  • goddamnelectric
    Options
    First of all I have to tell you I absolutely LOVE your hair. Those are all great tips ^^^ take it one day at a time. If you can start working in some exercise that always seems to be the best motivation for me to eat well. (If you spend an hour working out you really don't want to blow it on fast food!) Some good snacks to fill you up: rice cakes, tuna on crackers, turkey, veggies, fruit smoothie (low fat yogurt or milk) laughing cow cheese is really good too. And as far as the alcohol goes, the higher proof a drink is, the more calories. 1oz can be anywhere from 64-73 cal in whiskey, vodka, rum, etc. Drink beer or wine and cut back as best as you can.
  • josiecowboy69
    Options
    Make sure you have planned meals and snacks... To many calories in a quick grab type thing... I find that if I wait to long to eat a meal or snack, I tend to eat to much, to fast and to wrong!!1
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Welcome! For snacks I like string cheese sticks, celery with tuna salad (a little mayo, spicy mustard, chopped dill pickle -- not sweet, sometimes some scallions or pepperoncini peppers, dried dill and fresh ground black pepper) or with 2tbsp almond butter. Even just some rolled up deli sliced turkey with some cheddar or spicy jack cheese is awesome. A small palmfull of nuts gives crunch that crisps would have (not quite the same, but it works in a pinch) and nuts have a good amount of filling protein
  • abencase
    abencase Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hey Krist! Just started a week ago (@265lbs). I am not much of a snacker (which is not necessarily a good thing). However, with my new plan I am trying to do the eat all day thing. For snacks (so far), I have found Skinny Cow products, The Real Deal Veggie Chips (you can eat like 100 pieces for only 120 calories), lots of fruits and veggies, Hummus and crackers instead of chips and dip, and homemade smoothies with fruit, GREEK yogurt (not yoplait), a little honey, a little milk and ice (no ice-cream). As far as drinking, i think wine, especially red, is a good alternative. Good Luck!!! :smile:
  • gardengirl38
    Options
    I am 33 and have been yoyo dieting for the last 10 years. I'm 5'2" and am 155 lbs. I have recommitted myself AGAIN to getting healthy, which for someone my size is about 130 lbs. When I have been successful with weight loss, it's always because I have planned my meals and smacks ahead of time. If I wait until I'm hungry I will almost always make a poor choice. So...my advice is to plan ahead at least one day at a time. Good luck! You can do it!
  • placeboaddiction
    placeboaddiction Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I know its been stated numerous times already, but protein.

When I was 250 lbs, I struggled with the hunger. OMG did I struggle. I am one (yes even now still) that gets this euphoric sensation when I am stuffed, and its amazing. I don't stuff myself anymore, but have learned to curb this sensation with protein. The thing I hated about dieting was the always starving feeling. I couldn't handle it, it broke my diet millions of times.

I read a book called the fast food diet and though the diet itself was too demanding and not for me, it had some great common sense advice.

Protein= Feeling full. I usually try to make sure I get at least 14 grams of protein when I eat a meal, and when I snack, I make sure not to snack on anything less than 4grams of protein. This has been the staple of my weight loss.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    The snack should NOT fill you up, just satisfy the craving. Your food should fill you up. I can't help on the snack part cause I really do not eat them. If I need something to snack on I eat an apple or a grapefruit. No chips, no candybars, no ice cream, but then again I don't crave them anymore. If I do want one I count it in my calorie goals for the day and enjoy it. Good luck.
  • lyonnesse
    lyonnesse Posts: 10
    Options
    I agree re protein. You say you snack on chocolates and crisps, and if you read up on what this does to your body you are staggering between insulin highs and lows. When you eat concentrated sugar it breaks down and hits your bloodstream too quickly. Your body leaps into action with insulin to bring the balance down again, but this has the effect of taking too much sugar out of your bloodstream so pretty soon your tired and hungry again - and what do you reach for? You need to break that cycle.

I think it's so important to kick the sugar habit I'd be watching the content of my food rather than the calories in the beginning. I'd steer clear of almost all carbohydrates except leaves, stalks and fruits for a couple of weeks. I'd even advocate doing the first stage of Atkins to retrain yourself - but you must get the carb ration from as wide a range of veg as possible. I used Atkins successfully but I'd never stay on any kind of restrictive diet - it's not realistic and it's not interesting.

The other really important thing is to monitor everything you eat. You can be surprised in either direction. A week after I kicked off my current project to drop some pounds, I had folks coming for Sunday lunch. I knew it was going to be a tough one but decided it would be a day out and I'd get back to the regime next day. I monitored what I ate. I'd had the usual 250 calorie breakfast and my lunch was roast beef, yorkshire pud, potatoes and green veg Pudding was rhubarb crumble and custard and it was all washed down with a big glass of wine. My guests left early evening and I decided to punish myself by entering in the contents of my meal. Amazingly, I was still around 100 calories inside the upper end of my daily allowance. It made me realise I wasn't that hungry and I just munched an apple for supper. If I hadn't done the count up I would probably have eaten another meal even though I didn't need it.

And the last thing - exercise. If you don't want to do anything else just walk. It's summer, it's a relaxing thing to do, it burns calories and it keeps you away from the biscuit tin. Good luck
  • kirstw91
    kirstw91 Posts: 4
    Options
    Thanks so much guys great tips. I've been struggling abit to keep off the snacks but i think it's just habit of going straight to the fridge when i get home from work!! In time i can change the way i think. And everytime i'm hungry i try and head to the fruit bowl!!

Great tips on the protein i will deffinatly take that into account!!

But as for the drinking... I think that's my biggest downfall. I have a busy lifestyle and i'm very sociable.. Most of my friends invite me clubbing/ out for meals etc. So it's learning to drink more moderately and pick sensible foods to eat when i'm out and about!! Opting for mash instead of chips is so hard for me!! Hahah

Thanks again everyone for welcoming me. Here's to a new chapter in my life. :) Xoxo
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I'm Kirsty from Bury and I recently went to the doctor for a check up and was told i have a 'horrendous body mass index'. Which scared the life out of me!!!

I want to finally be healthy i'm currently 265lbs and really need help!!! I'm a snacker and love anything from chocolate to crisps. Love takeaways and i'm a big binge drinking too!

How do you guys find the motivation to eat healthily? And can anyone suggest healthy snacks that actually fill you up????

Lots of love, Kirst xo

I wish I had come to that realization when I was 20 rather than 30, which is well over ten years ago and I'm still not there. All those wasted years. Sigh....

Good for you. The only way to get started is to start, and the best time is now. Get your proteins, carbs, and fat in balance, then bring your calories down and start some workouts (and make sure you are fueling those workouts, because the most depressing thing I can relate after trying to reach "normal weight" for the first time in my adult life is that losing weight too quickly leads to plateaus and "giving up").
  • shaybethxo
    shaybethxo Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    hey, you sound a bit like me! i'm 19, and started at 249. i promised myself i'd never break 250! i'm only 10lbs down, so i'll add you and we can do this together if you like? i avoid the doctors at all costs because i know he will tell me i'm fat, something i know myself without him shoving it down my throat.
    like everyone else has said, keep track of your food. i tend to binge in the evenings and i can't seem to stop it, lol.
    anyway i've added you! x
  • debloves2ride
    debloves2ride Posts: 386
    Options
    Thanks so much guys great tips. I've been struggling abit to keep off the snacks but i think it's just habit of going straight to the fridge when i get home from work!! In time i can change the way i think. And everytime i'm hungry i try and head to the fruit bowl!!

But as for the drinking... I think that's my biggest downfall. I have a busy lifestyle and i'm very sociable.. Most of my friends invite me clubbing/ out for meals etc. So it's learning to drink more moderately and pick sensible foods to eat when i'm out and about!! Opting for mash instead of chips is so hard for me!! Hahah

Thanks again everyone for welcoming me. Here's to a new chapter in my life. :) Xoxo

I found a good way to cut back on the drinking - not perfect but it helps. When you are out clubbing or whatever, have your drink - but make the next drink a tall glass of water, club soda or something like that - then have another drink. It slows down your drinking as well as keeps you hydrated. It does help
  • Psychoanalytic
    Options
    Personally, it's not a matter of motivation, it's a matter of "survival." I can either eat what I want when I want and let it kill me with metabolic disease (high blood pressure, diabetes, etc) OR I can make better choices, be more awesome, and live a better life. When you put it in a matter of a life or death perspective, you don't really need motivation anymore.
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    my motivation was a number of things. I started feeling the downside of being unhealthy with having a minnie stroke when i was 42..that wasnt enough though because i continued on with my wonderfully unhealthy lifestyle.. turning 50 was a major turning point in my life. when you are 50 you start thinking you dont have much time to live. on top of that i work as a nurse in a nursing home and am taking care of folks my age more often and it scares me that may be me some day. im a new grandmother of two little ones too. so when i turned 50 i asked myself what i wanted to do with the rest of my life.. the answer was to live life to the fullest. 80lbs down so far . i have 40 more to go. my life is better now than it ever was .

dont let all them years slip away. at 20 you have a head start from where i was. what it all boils down to is ..its all your choice how you want to live your life. as a nurse you really are a time bomb ticking down the road of medical problems when you are overweight and eating wrong. that should be motivation enough right there but its something you have to want and you have to be the one to make those choices. its a whole new lifestyle. i would suggest going to a gym and hanging out with people who live healthy and are active. you are who you hang around with so hang with those who have common goals as yourself. they will be your biggest support and motivators too!!
  • Destinie589
    Destinie589 Posts: 211
    Options
    Hello and welcome. My motivation was the scale. I never knew how big I was. I was in denial big time and finally I hopped on and I was like in shock. I think you have done a great thing by taking the "first step" which is admitting you have an issue. I think the easiest way to start would be to look at how you currently eat and gradually start cutting back. I think that if you jump in and try to cut way back in the beginning then you might be setting yourself up for failure. Just take it slow and be patient.
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    You can do it! The biggest advice that has worked for me is logging things before I eat them, that way I can see what the damage is before I eat it and then make a decision if I really want it or not. I would recommend setting you goal at 1 pound a week and use portion control for the things you like rather than cutting them out completely (I know if I try to do that then I just want it more!). Actually count out the chips and cookies and measure your servings. Good luck!
  • MommaKit79
    MommaKit79 Posts: 852
    Options

I love Food, PERIOD! So, snacking is a big thing for me too. But, I have found that Flavored Sugar-Free gum helps and, also, believe it or not, drinking plenty of water throughout the day. It isnt jsut about getting your hydration but, it actually helps to keep me full. I have a sugar issue (Hypoglycemic) so, i have to eat more then jsut meals a day but, I have learned to space them out and eat the better snacks. I like Special K Bars, fruits and veggies, and even those 100 Calorie snack packs arent too bad, especially if you get a sweet tooth like me!

GOOD LUCK and welcome to the Journey known as GETTING HEALTHY!! I agree that it has to be a lifestyle change in order for it to work and keep working! :)
  • Katiemarie4488
    Katiemarie4488 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Do you have Clif Bars in your part of the world? Good chocolate flavors and not the artificial taste.... have you tried protein shakes in the blender? I like the Chocolate powder, mixed with bananas or strawberries.

:flowerforyou: