Those in the UK - Salad help please

Options
Hi all,

For those in the UK - does anyone know of anywhere good that does prepared low carb salads? everywhere near my new work, e.g. pret, starbucks, EAT, boots etc. don't do low carb ones! they all come with high sugar dressings and generally aren't very satisfying!

thank you! xxx

Replies

• fraser112
    fraser112 Posts: 405
    Options
    Hi all,

For those in the UK - does anyone know of anywhere good that does prepared low carb salads? everywhere near my new work, e.g. pret, starbucks, EAT, boots etc. don't do low carb ones! they all come with high sugar dressings and generally aren't very satisfying!

thank you! xxx

Im not sure that even exists. Ive only seen low fat salads or pasta dishes, neither being low in carbs.
  • sophiareal
    sophiareal Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Check out Pod. Lots of healthy salads as well as no carb wraps - nori wraps with chicken and avocado for example. Just avoid some if the dressings.
  • jlbay
    jlbay Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Waitrose has some salads and side salads with no croutons or dressing (still in a bowl). I just buy some of the roasted chicken breast or some feta/goat's/other cheese to add to it.

I've given up on pre-made dressings. I've started making my own dressings and keeping it in recycled glass jars. That way, guaranteed to only have what I want in the dressing. Super easy.
  • bryonysten
    bryonysten Posts: 44
    Options
    Could you not make one at home and take to work? Then you can control what you're eating, how much and also save money? I used to do it every day and left the house at 6.30am so it is possible....
  • Maldivesbeachbodplease
    Options
    Could you not make one at home and take to work? Then you can control what you're eating, how much and also save money? I used to do it every day and left the house at 6.30am so it is possible....

Yeh i could do...it's just hard as i get up at 5am..leave the house at 6...get home at 8pm...work out, then shower and bed and it's 10-11pm before i know it!! so just easier to grab things on the go! xxx
  • Maldivesbeachbodplease
    Options
    Check out Pod. Lots of healthy salads as well as no carb wraps - nori wraps with chicken and avocado for example. Just avoid some if the dressings.

Thank you! just checked these out on the website and they have barely any carbs. Pod also do a protein box which is pretty much 0 carbs!! and full of protein! xxx
  • slay0r
    slay0r Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    If you're on the go as well, subway salads aren't THAT bad depending on what you get put in them, just the salad bowl though mind ;)
  • huntingforhipbones
    Options
    Starbucks bistro boxes?
  • misspgreenwood
    Options
    tescos do a ham one and a tuna nicoise one- no dressings.

pret do a crayfish and avocardo salad - dressing in a pot.

the Sainsburys in town (and Morrisons local if you have one) had a make your own salad bar - which usually have some good leaves and bean choices (I usually buy a pot of olives as well.
  • Princess_Sameen
    Princess_Sameen Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Tesco do a salad bowl with no dressing and a few others :)
  • Maldivesbeachbodplease
    Options
    If you're on the go as well, subway salads aren't THAT bad depending on what you get put in them, just the salad bowl though mind ;)

I have a turkey subway salad almost every night for dinner! loads of salad, double turkey meat and a bit of low fat mayo! xxx
  • Patovader
    Patovader Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    If you have subway near you then you should be able to get just a salad box :)
  • linzijoy
    linzijoy Posts: 109 Member
    Options

Yep, Subway isn't too bad providing you choose wisely and avoid dressings
  • emmaonamission
    Options
    M&S do a lot of salad bowls without dressing, I used to buy them all the time when I worked near one. Not sure on the carbs, but they were around 50 cals and pretty big
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Chop'd is good, although there are not too many branches around. You can buy standard salads or have one made up for you, and they have a range of fat free dressings.

More main stream, you can't beat M&S.
  • bellina1
    bellina1 Posts: 7
    Options
    I agree with what a couple of others have said... Subway!

All their nutritional info is on their website so if you plan in advance it can easily be done, plus their delicious!
  • MellowYellowGem
    MellowYellowGem Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Most of the supermarkets do plain salads in a bowl, (mainly leaves), Morrisons, Asda etc, you could buy one of them & some cooked peeled prawns to chuck in which come in small packs too.
  • mikes99mail
    mikes99mail Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Prets do a couple of low-carb salads, the avocado & prawn one is lovely. Pricey though. And their flat white coffee is too good to leave as well, so it's over a fiver every trip....
  • fontinathefox
    fontinathefox Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    A lot of places seem to sell salads with the dressing in a separate pot, so you could just not have that and eat the salad on its own?
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Most of the supermarkets do plain salads in a bowl, (mainly leaves), Morrisons, Asda etc, you could buy one of them & some cooked peeled prawns to chuck in which come in small packs too.

I agree- I usually buy a plain side salad bowl from the salad leaves section of morrisons/tesco/asda/M&S and 'pimp it' low carb style, adding turkey/chicken/ham or prawns & chorizo slices, or egg mayo or even get some ham hock or roast chicken from the rotisserie counter to go with it.