Any Intermittent Fasters out there?

Options
Hi! I'm Jus, a 27 year old female in need of some IF support! I hope to lose 19 lbs by mid-August, and am planning to do it IF-style! Beginning tomorrow...:) Interested in joining? Or perhaps already doing it? :)

Replies

• creature275
    creature275 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I personally dont like it but a good number of people apparently have had success with it, if all your trying to do is lose weight Id say go for it and I wish you the best of luck
  • unsweet2012
    unsweet2012 Posts: 23
    Options
    Thank you for your encouragement! IF-ing until 6pm dinner will be my goal for tomorrow. :O) SInce I have difficulty sticking to one diet for an extended amount of time, my only commitments on MFP will be to:

1. Come online DAILY to share an update of how I did on my daily goal.
    2. Set a fit goal for the next day. I've realized that I need to take this one day at a time...my goals may change on a daily basis, but I think I can do IF/follow a diet plan if I take it one day at a time.

Thanks again so much for your supportive response! :O)
  • monpettitefleur
    Options
    Thick question!!......what's involved in IF?

Is it water only for 24hrs?
  • Taeriel
    Taeriel Posts: 14
    Options
    I do IF and like it. I fast 1 or 2 days a week, depending on my schedule and my goal for that week. The rest of the time I eat a balanced, low-ish carb diet, with one cheat meal a week.

Good luck!
  • unsweet2012
    Options
    Hi! I think I'll be changing the IF-ing up day by day. Some days I'll have fruits, veggies and whey protein while fasting up until dinner. Other days, like tomorrow, I'm just planning on the whey protein until dinner. :O) Excited! Thank your for your response!
  • unsweet2012
    Options
    Thanks Taeriel for your encouragement! I'm actually excited about fasting tomorrow after reading your response! :O)
  • Taeriel
    Options
    IF is fasting for 24 hours, once or twice a week. It's from dinner to dinner (so I go 7pm to 7pm) so it's really not so hard. I have a max of 2 cups of coffee which really kill the hunger pangs, but otherwise just water. It's actually nice to have a break from wondering what to eat every now and then!

There is all sorts of good research (I'm a scientist so don't do anything that isn't backed up by science) to show that it really helps fat loss while maintaining lean muscle.
  • unsweet2012
    Options
    Hi! It could be just water, but I'm including whey protein, coffee, etc while fasting...some days, I may also include fruits and veggies. IF-ing is basically fasting for a specified amount of time, like 16 hours of fasting, then an 8-hour feeding window. LeanGains and Eat Stop Eat websites have a lot of helpful information, too!
  • Taeriel
    Options
    Jus, I'd suggest you try proper fasting (i.e. nothing) if you can. If you eat a little bit you'll actually find you are hungrier than if you have nothing. Try coffee, like I said. And just keep busy. If you find it hard then start with 16 hours and then increase to 24 as you get used to it.

Just no more than twice a week - that's all you need if you eat properly at other times.
  • unsweet2012
    Options
    Awesome! I LOVE real data and scientific research! :O) Thanks!
  • unsweet2012
    Options
    Okay, gonna try it! Just coffee until 6 tomorrow...thanks! :O)
  • unsweet2012
    Options
    Oops and of course lots of water! :O)
  • Taeriel
    Options
    Good luck! :happy:
  • unsweet2012
    Options
    Thank you! :O)
  • devilsangel2
    devilsangel2 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    We have an IF group here http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/66-intermittent-fasting

I do Leangains 18/6 and absolutely love it. :happy:
  • unsweet2012
    Options
    Sweet! Thank you for the link! Totally gonna check it out. Encouraging to hear IF-ing is working for you! :O)