Best online calc to work out how many cals for petite ladies

Options
Hi,
I often think 1200 is too many cals for me to lose weight as I'm a petite female.

Is there a good online calculator that takes height into consideration?

Thank you

Replies

• misspgreenwood
    Options
    I used scooby:
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

fit2fat is also good and i usually double check on that with my measurements
  • EmmaM2211
    EmmaM2211 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    MFP takes height into consideration.

If you go to www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/ and calculate your BMR (Base Metabolic Rate) it will be pretty accurate and you shouldnt eat below that each day. You can also use that site to calculate you TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure). Ideally to lose weight you should be eating between these 2 numbers.

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • Shawn8216
    Shawn8216 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    So I have a question: Fit2Fat calculated my BMR between 1303 // 1376 and then because my job is a desk job and is sedentary, the calories for that is 1594 .. So to eat as if I lost the weight and TO LOSE the weight, do I eat around 1400 calories ??
  • annak84
    annak84 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft 1 and aim to eat 1400 calories. So far I have been losing 1lb a week.
    For me it is so much better than eating the 1200 calories MFP set for me.

I think really I should be eating a little more because I walk between 14 & 24 miles a week.
  • EmmaM2211
    EmmaM2211 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    So I have a question: Fit2Fat calculated my BMR between 1303 // 1376 and then because my job is a desk job and is sedentary, the calories for that is 1594 .. So to eat as if I lost the weight and TO LOSE the weight, do I eat around 1400 calories ??

Yep you got it. The 1594 is the amount you can eat and still lose by the looks of it. Just play around with the numbers until you find your "sweet spot" sounds like anywhere between 1300 and 1600 would be good. It's not an exact science and I'm a big advocate of listening to your body so if you try 1300 but are constantly hungry/tired then eat more but if you're eating 1600 and not losing then drop it a bit.

I'm 5'2" and have a desk job, I usually eat around 1400-1600 a day unless I do a lot of exercise and I've been losing about 1lb a week steadily x
  • misspgreenwood
    Options

what Im doing / from what i understand - the idea is to eat between your BMR and your TDEE.. this creates a deficit which leads to loss.

15% to 20% reduction from the TDEE is the usual 1 to 2lb loss area. this is waht some people refer to as the Cut amount (i.e. your goal amount of cals)

For me the Cut and BMR has about 50 cals between them.

HOWEVER if you are putting yourself as seditary (sp) then you should also hard add your exercises back to get the days true TDEE - then I tend to eat about half of those (until I get my HRM and can know the exact cals I burn in which case I will eat as many as I need/want) - this will allow you to play with it to get a deficit.

so for me - BMR = 1250. TDEE is 1500 so my cut is 1300. I eat 1300 approx. but as long as I eat below 1500 i *should* lose - it will just take its time. these are all net amounts.

does that make sense?
  • Shawn8216
    Options
    oops posted too soon
  • Shawn8216
    Options
    Thanks ladies! :) I am also 5'2" as well! So its good to read that you're eating about 1400-1600 cals and still losing :)

I redid some calculations and this is what I got from scooby website. It matches what you [missgreenwood] said about it being about 50 cals off.

BMR: 1369`
    TDEE: 1643
    Cut: 1314

So my goal of around 1365-1400 seems right ... Do you agree with this?
  • misspgreenwood
    Options

BMR: 1369`
    TDEE: 1643
    Cut: 1314

So my goal of around 1365-1400 seems right ... Do you agree with this?

yeah that seems right to me. - thats for a 20% loss.

The issue with any of the sites / numbers is they arnt perfect. I have mental days at work (running back and forth with docs, dashing up and down the stairs) and then other days when I sit at ta desk from 8.30 to 1 and again from 2 to 6.30, my TDEE isnt the same for those days. Even the BMR is based on averages and studies.

but its basic maths - less in that out = loss.

you might need to tweak the numbers a bit - stay at a level for a couple of weeks and then reassess. I'm at 1300 (up from below 1200) and will see. Currently lost 1lb this week so will see next week. I plan on trying to get it as high as I can and still lose before I maintain!! who doesnt want more food?!

(I'm 5ft 2.5 btw)
  • Mitzigan94
    Mitzigan94 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I'm currently following at scooby tdee and 25% weight loss!

Good luck to us all!:)