My progress (I'm in need of a boost!)

Options
kaylz0106
kaylz0106 Posts: 117 Member
So I do may monthly weigh in on the 29th of each month and despite losing weight every month I am a little gutted with my May progress, I don't generally set myself unrealistic targets and I have hit ever target to date but during may something seems to have slowed down a little and I'm not 100% sure where I am going wrong, so aswell as a post to give myself a pat on the back I am hoping that maybe someone can help me moving forward.

I started off on 01st January 2012 weighing 216lbs :(....I have had two children and all my weight came from my pregnancies and nothing else, I have always been a happy healthy UK size 12 and always been happy weighing around 10st and the aim is to get back there. I am currently at 190 so another 50lbs to go, seems like an impossibility at the moment!

So here are my stats:

01st January 2012

Arm 16 inches
Bust 44 inches
Waist 50 inches
Hips 50 inches
Thigh 29.5 inches
Calf 18 inches

I was 216lbs wearing a UK size 20 (which was tight) trousers and 16/18 tops.

TODAY

Arm 13 inches (-3)
Bust 38 inches (-6)
Waist 38.5 inches (-11.5)
Hips 45 inches (-5)
Thigh 24.5 inches (-5)
Calf 16.5 inches (-1.5)

I am now weighing 190lbs wearing size 16 trousers (14 from some shops) and 10/12 in tops.

This has been through logging calories and regular exercise. I love food so don't go for the obvious salad and meat all the time I will admit but I will also admit that I am never going to be this person so pointless trying, I do make much better choices with my foods and I don't drink as much as I used to (maybe 2 vodkas on a weekend once a month now as opposed to a bottle possibly two of wine on a friday and probably on a saturday as well!) I run evry other day and on weekends I sometimes do two laps of my village which is exactly 3miles (5k) and while in work providing the weather is nice I will do another round of walking (2 miles). I have recently started weights but I am a weakling so far and am struggling although I know I'll get better.

My target I didnt hit for May was to get my 5k done in under 40 mins, fastest time has been 40.21...so didn't hit that this month which I am mostly gutted about and also the loss in weight during may was only 2lbs and the inches only 3.5inches and all from my waist.

My aim for June is to again get that 5k done in under 40mins, get that weight down closer to 185 than 190, shave a few inches off of my arms and waist with my weights.

If anyone has any ideas on how to help my achieve the above please please please comment!

Replies

• katief1982
    katief1982 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You have done well - not sure it is going to help you, but seeing how well you have done (and you are roughly the same measurement wise as me) you have inspired me further.

I work full time and have a 18month old so finding it really hard to allocate time for myself - but seeing your progress and the fact you are running around after 2 children is proof it can be done, and I need to kick the slacker mentality once and for all if I am ever going to achieve!

I lost measurements off my calf when I started back at swim teaching (minimal swimming for me, but walking in the water whilst teaching kids). Wasnt an amazing loss but enough tha my boots fitted so I am trying to motivate myself with what fits now that I could go near back in December 2011!
  • wasveganvictoria88
    wasveganvictoria88 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I would be well impressed with these results!! Look how much you have lost on your waist alone!!
  • Werglum
    Werglum Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me like you've made definite progress!! Make sure you keep on going - I find it is the keeping going that is the main thing.
    In terms of getting your 5k under 40 minutes - you are SO CLOSE!!! - try doing interval training while running/walking (the technical term is fartlek training) it is the thing that I have found makes the biggest difference in my speed while running. For example, I haven't been doing it lately and consistently run 7km in 38 minutes, I'm not getting any faster, but my heart rate is dropping and I am burning fewer and fewer calories so I'm getting fitter, not faster. Compare that with when I was doing fartleks (how I do it is for 30 seconds every km or so I sprint as fast as I can [I usually pretend there is a dog or an axe-weilding maniac chasing me!! :bigsmile: ] before going back to my usual speed), anyway, I digress, I got my time for the same 7km run down from 45 minutes to 38!! Give it a go!!
  • zoombie_bear
    zoombie_bear Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    you are doing so well 4 yourself, change the varity of your foods & change the wk-outs your body is in need of a change & you'll see, the scale is just a number, your measurements speak for themselves, hang in there, it's a life struggle
  • ChristineDiet
    ChristineDiet Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Wow - 26lbs loss. That's amazing. I started 7th Jan, had lost 19lbs but just got back from a hol (gained 5.7lbs! - Damn).

What I have found personally with my weight loss is sometimes it doesn't show on the scales, sometimes it doesn't even show on the tape measure BUT it has reflected on the clothes I wear. I have gone from a tight 18(UK) to a 16 now. I feel a lot more toned than I did (still a very, very long way to go), but the point is, sometimes we don't lose as much as we would like on the scales/tape measure but that doesn't mean you haven't achieved more that month.

A friend of mine told me about body re-composition, where your muscles are building, giving you a leaner and more toned body. I started off at 219lbs and I seriously wouldn't care if I weighed the same now but wore a size 10 clothes and was toned!

good luck and you are doing amazing. Keep at it. x
  • moepwr
    moepwr Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are doing great! Keep up the good work!
  • kaylz0106
    Options
    You have done well - not sure it is going to help you, but seeing how well you have done (and you are roughly the same measurement wise as me) you have inspired me further.

I work full time and have a 18month old so finding it really hard to allocate time for myself - but seeing your progress and the fact you are running around after 2 children is proof it can be done, and I need to kick the slacker mentality once and for all if I am ever going to achieve!

I lost measurements off my calf when I started back at swim teaching (minimal swimming for me, but walking in the water whilst teaching kids). Wasnt an amazing loss but enough tha my boots fitted so I am trying to motivate myself with what fits now that I could go near back in December 2011!

Thanks. I was feeling really proud but the lack of progress this month and I kind of feel a little deflated but knowning I am inspiring you if a nudge in the right direction for me thanks! Oh and good luck!
  • kaylz0106
    Options
    I would be well impressed with these results!! Look how much you have lost on your waist alone!!

The figures look good but the pictures dont :(....I look at the numbers and think well done but the pictures still dont look that impressive. When I work out how to get them of my new smart phone onto here I will update this post for you to see. Thanks though. :)
  • kaylz0106
    Options
    I am googling interval training becuase a few people have said this could make all the difference. I currently do one mile in 14 mins maybe half of that jogging but towards the last mile I can't jog at all and so eventhough I did the first 2miles in good time I slow down so much in the last mile that my time stays much the same.
  • kaylz0106
    Options
    Wow - 26lbs loss. That's amazing. I started 7th Jan, had lost 19lbs but just got back from a hol (gained 5.7lbs! - Damn).

What I have found personally with my weight loss is sometimes it doesn't show on the scales, sometimes it doesn't even show on the tape measure BUT it has reflected on the clothes I wear. I have gone from a tight 18(UK) to a 16 now. I feel a lot more toned than I did (still a very, very long way to go), but the point is, sometimes we don't lose as much as we would like on the scales/tape measure but that doesn't mean you haven't achieved more that month.

A friend of mine told me about body re-composition, where your muscles are building, giving you a leaner and more toned body. I started off at 219lbs and I seriously wouldn't care if I weighed the same now but wore a size 10 clothes and was toned!

good luck and you are doing amazing. Keep at it. x

I went on holiday in April and gained 7lbs managed to lose it by the end of April so yours will go. I originally set myself the target of 10st but like you said I frankly couldnt care what I weighed as long as the clothes size was right but still lounging around in 1's atm :(
  • kaylz0106
    Options
    It sounds like you are doing great! Keep up the good work!

Thank you
  • nvestli
    nvestli Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    As well as interval training to improve speed and stamina, I would recommend finding a running group near you. When I was in the UK (moved out to Oslo a few years ago), I ran with a local runnign group and I noticed my fitness, weight and ability to run MUCH further improve in literally a month or so! "Running sisters" are female only groups and very good also.

Don't be afraid, most running groups look scary but they are very welcoming of beginners and in a few short weeks, you'll no longer be one of them I can assure you!

Good luck and MASSIVE well done, you have done fantastically well so far. 21 secs is completely achievable :smile:
  • johicks
    johicks Posts: 1,991 Member
    Options
    PAT YOURSELF ON THE BACK!!!!! You've lost 4 sizes!!! That says a heck of a lot more than the number on the scales!!! I will never forget a photo of 7 women weighing hte same weight and due to their height and body build and athleticism; they all looked compleletly different. Some really tall and skinny and looked like 100lbs and others muscular and looked liked they weighed even more!!

So don't kid yourself!! Keep going. Don't beat yourself up.

I have a feeling your body DOES need a change. It's gotten used to eating less and moving. It's the new normal for your body. So now you need to change it up a bit like other said.

Interval training is easy.... walk 5 mins run 10 minutes.. walk 2minutes... run 10 minutes, and so on. Whatever you do, don't eat even less. With running you need to keep your body fueled.

And perhaps your lifting weights actualy increased your weight... muscle weighs more than fat. Give it all another month. That's good thinking rather than weekly.

Keep it up!!! YOU ARE DOING IT!!!

HUGS
  • kaylz0106
    Options
    As well as interval training to improve speed and stamina, I would recommend finding a running group near you. When I was in the UK (moved out to Oslo a few years ago), I ran with a local runnign group and I noticed my fitness, weight and ability to run MUCH further improve in literally a month or so! "Running sisters" are female only groups and very good also.

Don't be afraid, most running groups look scary but they are very welcoming of beginners and in a few short weeks, you'll no longer be one of them I can assure you!

Good luck and MASSIVE well done, you have done fantastically well so far. 21 secs is completely achievable :smile:

21 seconds though....I've spent a month with it lurking there! I'm going to look for a group for sure, hadn't even thought of it! Thanks
  • kaylz0106
    Options
    PAT YOURSELF ON THE BACK!!!!! You've lost 4 sizes!!! That says a heck of a lot more than the number on the scales!!! I will never forget a photo of 7 women weighing hte same weight and due to their height and body build and athleticism; they all looked compleletly different. Some really tall and skinny and looked like 100lbs and others muscular and looked liked they weighed even more!!

So don't kid yourself!! Keep going. Don't beat yourself up.

I have a feeling your body DOES need a change. It's gotten used to eating less and moving. It's the new normal for your body. So now you need to change it up a bit like other said.

Interval training is easy.... walk 5 mins run 10 minutes.. walk 2minutes... run 10 minutes, and so on. Whatever you do, don't eat even less. With running you need to keep your body fueled.

And perhaps your lifting weights actualy increased your weight... muscle weighs more than fat. Give it all another month. That's good thinking rather than weekly.

Keep it up!!! YOU ARE DOING IT!!!

HUGS

thanks! eating less would be impossible for me I'm starving all the time even on days where I top 2000 cals with eating back exercise calories! I need atleast 1500 or my body goes into melt down ha! Thanks!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!