Day 13 of 30DS & not getting anywhere

Options
So I've been doing 30 Day Shred for 13 days consecutively, jogging nearly every other day and sticking to my calories and I haven't lost even a pound! The first week I lost 2 lb but I have put that back on and I'm right back to where I started. My measurements haven't changed at all either and I'm starting to get pretty frustrated.

Any help or tips would be welcomed!

Replies

• Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Take a day or two off, as you aren't meant to do it every day.

also - can you let us knw your height, weight and daily exercise level (outside of 30 DS and running). It maybe that you have your calories calculated incorrenctly as you are doing quite a lot of exercise.
  • BeautifulKristen
    Options
    Are you eating right and drinking tons of water and staying under your calories?

I lost 10 pounds and some inches then gained the inches during level 2. I will be doing level 3 tomorrow..

Good luck.
  • Legals81
    Legals81 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Im on day 15 today. I've only lost a few pounds but to be honest, I havnt laods to loose anyway, but I have definitely lost inches especially around my waist.

You may have droped a few pounds of fat but gained it back as muscle.

Do you feel stronger, I know I do.

And yeah check that your eating enough. You body may be in famine mode, holding on to weight because it thinks your starving it! Crazy but true.
  • linzijoy
    linzijoy Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft 10 and 152lbs at the moment, I'm looking to only looking to lose about 12 - 15lb. I'm not doing any exercise (other than 30DS and jogging) and I'm sat at an office desk for 7.5 hours Mon - Fri.

Initially I had my calories set to 1200 + exercise cals but yesterday I upped this to 1400 + Exercise cals. I'm drinking about 2litres of water a day.

I do feel a little stronger, or rather I can feel my muscles havfe "woken up" if that makes sense?!

Thanks for your suggestions guys, much apprecieated :)
  • ChristineDiet
    ChristineDiet Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I've gone through phases of where I haven't lost weight, haven't lost inches BUT have felt more toned! Maybe with all the exercise your body is holding onto water and therefore your not losing it on the scale. You will also be toning up your muscles, so will probably feel it better in your clothes than the scales or the tape measure; I know I did I went down a dress size but hadn't really lost than much weight or inches. Stick with it and I'm sure you'll notice the difference soon. x
  • LindsayHowlett
    Options
    It might be worth checking out your calories requirements using this website:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

1400 + exercise cals sounds a lot more like it, I did a quick calculation for you (based on an age of 25 - it wa a shot in the dark, I'm terrible at guessing ages so please don't be offended!!) and it said you need nearly 1900 cals a day to lose weight at a sensible rate (that was based on 3-5 hours of exercise a week)

Check it out, with the correct info and see what it gives you. Could be you haven't eaten enough cals to sustain yourself!

Also, strongly suggest you use photographs as a measure of your success, photos have worked way better for me than scales!!!
  • ccclay
    ccclay Posts: 28
    Options
    I was feeling exactly like that, where Shred did not appear to be doing anything (currently on L2D6) on top of the usual cardio work I do (running or gym in conjunction with or on alternate days to Shred)- I even put on weight and inches last week! However, have lost half an inch in some places now and weight going back down, so perhaps your body is adjusting to the new regime and holding onto water before any results show? Good luck with it anyway!
  • linzijoy
    Options

1400 + exercise cals sounds a lot more like it, I did a quick calculation for you (based on an age of 25 - it wa a shot in the dark, I'm terrible at guessing ages so please don't be offended!!) and it said you need nearly 1900 cals a day to lose weight at a sensible rate (that was based on 3-5 hours of exercise a week)

Check it out, with the correct info and see what it gives you. Could be you haven't eaten enough cals to sustain yourself!

Also, strongly suggest you use photographs as a measure of your success, photos have worked way better for me than scales!!!

I'm actually 29 but I'll take 25 :wink:

I've been taking photos too and nothing.....I'll take another look at my calories but I can't quite get my head around eating more to lose weight. I know there's plenty of scientific evidence etc but somehow it doesn't feel right. I'm at the point right now where I'll try anything though!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    have you calculated your % fat ?
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Hey - it isn't about eating MORE than you were before you started dieting, just more than your current diet level. too many people drop their calories down far too low at the start and it is all a bit of a shock to the body result in quick initial losses and then the dreaded plateau.

I make your TDEE 2050 or so, a 15% deficit off that would be around 1750 (I like to round numbers to the nearest 50 calories)

If this seems too much you should definitely be eating closer to your BMR at around 1500 at a minimum.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft 10 and 152lbs at the moment, I'm looking to only looking to lose about 12 - 15lb. I'm not doing any exercise (other than 30DS and jogging) and I'm sat at an office desk for 7.5 hours Mon - Fri.

Initially I had my calories set to 1200 + exercise cals but yesterday I upped this to 1400 + Exercise cals. I'm drinking about 2litres of water a day.

I do feel a little stronger, or rather I can feel my muscles havfe "woken up" if that makes sense?!

Thanks for your suggestions guys, much apprecieated :)

Definitely a good idea upping your calories. I did a quick calculation of your TDEE minus 20% (which gives good, steady weightloss - Google for calulcators with this), which comes to around 1450 calories a day. Try eating to this - and eat back at least 50% of your exercise calories (be careful with MFP - a lot of the exercise estimates are very high).

My weight had plateaued so two weeks ago I upped my calories and... finally the weight has started moving again.

I've had to wait two weeks to see the effect, but it is totally worth it.
  • linzijoy
    Options
    have you calculated your % fat ?

I used one link which told me my % was 16.5 - I know for a fact my body fat isn't that low!
  • tcat2012
    tcat2012 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Since you don't have much to lose, you probably won't see much of a loss (in pounds) with 30DS...but unless you are already very toned you will most likely see inches lost. It sounds like you have just started level 2 (since you're on day 13)--I had a similar experience: lost a couple in level 1, gained those back in level 2, but by the end of level 3 they were off again. More important, by the end, my measurements were down more than 1 inch each in waist, belly and low belly (pooch). So stick with it! Level 2 really works your core and level 3 kicks up the cardio a bit more.

Again--I was in the same boat as you, not a lot to lose. Right now I'm experimenting with slowly increasing my calories...I'm up to 1600/day (not eating exercise calories) and planing to gradually work up to 1800. According to my fitbit, I am at least 2150 TDEE per day, so I should be losing , however, I'm still not losing pounds (but not gaining either). Since I'm still losing on the measuring tape, my focus now is on inches not pounds. I'd love to lose 5-10 pounds...but seeing my inches go down and my body looking better and better is pretty cool too. While I was doing 30 DS I was eating 1200 plus about half exercise calories, which I think is too low. I think that your decision to go to 1400 plus exercise calories is a good one, maybe even increase a bit more, but try doing it gradually so you don't see a gain and lose heart. Good luck!
  • linzijoy
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's suggestions, I'm actually feeling a bit better by eating a few extra calories a day, but not sure whether it's all in my mind. I'm currently trying to net at least 1200 - 1400. I think patience is also the key!