CONFUSED! - What knee support should I get?

Options
Hi there!

I am a new runner taking part in the C25K program to train for a 5K at the end of June, I am now at Week 5 and my dodgy knee is well and truly playing up :(

I have been to the doctor before regarding my knee and he said my knee cap has a tracking problem and the muscles around the knee will need to be built up to support the knee cap better. (right now my knee has to be straightened and then bent back to get my knee cap back into the correct tracks which is quite uncomfortable)

With this type of dodgy knee in mind, can anyone recommend what type of knee support I should buy? (I live in the UK, so it would be great if it was one that I could buy here)

Open or closed? Adjustable or elasticated?

Thanks for your suggestions, it'll really help me reach my goal of running a 5K :)

Replies

• johnsummerton
    johnsummerton Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I did some weights for my knee . Also wear magnets just below the knee really seems to work for me
  • jacqui1612
    jacqui1612 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I also have bad knees ( my knee caps are tilted which puts pressure on the outside of the joint). Do some leg strengthening exercises like the leg press. You could also try strapping your knee. That could help with the tracking issue when you run...
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    When I had knee problems I went to see a physio and she tried a few different strapping tapes/techniques til we found what worked best. You might save some money by getting good advice before you buy anything.
  • AnkeAkke
    AnkeAkke Posts: 23
    Options
    Don't use knee support too often or for too long. That will only prevent you from building muscle strenght. Doing "isometric" knee excercises would be a good idea.

I think the best bandage would be an elastic one (in one piece) with a hole in the front for your knee cap. This will keep your knee cap in track... Or at least... it will try.

It looks like this; (it's a dutch site, so forget about the text)

http://www.blueblizz.com/hardlopen/sportverzorging/kniebrace/rucanor-patello-kniebandage/a16092/0004/
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I did some weights for my knee . Also wear magnets just below the knee really seems to work for me

what do the magnets do? I've never heard of that before.
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Agree that a physio or the Dr should be able to advice on the best type and that long term is not a good idea (although may help for short term).

Knee strengthening exercises should help. Squats (standard or single leg/pistol squats) would be great.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Did your doctor recommend any exercises or refer you for physio?

Here's a link to runnersworld.com that I hope you find helpful........http://www.runnersworld.com/runnersbody/

Any knee brace you get will be a band aid rather than a cure. Having said that you may find some relief using one of the open-knee neoprene supports that should be available at pretty much any drug store.
  • m60kaf
    m60kaf Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    knee problems can be cured a lot by correct fitted trainers
  • mikes99mail
    mikes99mail Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    from what I've learnt from painful experience, dodgy knees are normally a sign that something else is out of whack.. If you can go see a good sports physio, they might be able to spot it (could be the wrong shoes, lack of strength, the way you're running, anything or everything!)

dont run your knee gets sore every time, try and get it fixed first then go back to it!

good luck!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Ah a subject I am all to familiar with.... Getting to 560 lbs. literally destroyed both my knee's and the process of losing all this weight has left both of them beyond repair.. We are buying time til I am done with my weight loss before I get total knee replacements... That being said I have tried every combination of braces, injection therapy, and pain pills, I recently had to have my left knee cleaned out again do to a torn ACL and more meniscus tears, He went in and also had to grind down the surface of my bones to get rid of large quantities of arthritis and told me he took quite a bit off the back of my knee cap. Because of this my knee cap no longer tracks where it use to and cause me some discomfort and a very annoying clicking every time I take a step... He said as the swelling came down and I continued strengthening he was hopeful it would wear a new groove and the pain and clicking would settle down.. He said the best way to make sure the knee is tracking correctly while the new groove wears in Kinesio taping.. There are several different method for patella tracking and immediately after taping my knee cap was tracking much better, the clicking was gone, and the pain was managed, We are 7 weeks into rehab right now and I am now taping myself and the results are great... It doesn't solve all the other problems I have with my knee's but this particular problem it fixed and it allowing the new groove to be worn in and allowing me to strengthen my muscle around my knee to buy more time to finish this weight loss... Best of Luck.....

Here is a link:

http://www.kttape.com/what-is-kt-tape/

This is the taping I am using currently:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5XmDhIaQf0&feature=related
  • willo78
    willo78 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I also have cream crackered knees so well versed in physioterrorism for them!

I second the thought of properly fitting trainers, as well as doing work to strengthen your inner quads (as these are probably the reason your patellae maltrack). Taking advice from a physio is the way to go long term though - be assessed properly or you could end up doing more damage than good.