SO frustrated and need encouragement :(

Options
I have been on MFP for about 1 month. I have made significant changes in my diet and have been really proud of myself. I HAD lost 6 pounds and still have no intention of giving up. However, it is that time of the month and in 1 day the scale went up 4 pounds!!! I wouldnt be so discouraged but I normally do not gain during this time of the month. The scale has STAYED up for 3 days now, I feel like I am really trying to do this right, working with a trainer, eating more than I have in the past when dieting and not screwing my metabolism...eating very clean, working out. Staying around 13-1500 calories of CLEAN food, etc. I have no intention of giving up bc I feel so much better. I used to have headaches all the time and I dont anymore.
I have dieted since I was 8 years old. I just had a daughter and I DO NOT want her to have the same issues with body and food that I have always had so I am totally committed to making changes for good. But the scale is messing with me and I am SO frustrated!!! help :(

Replies

• knrob
    knrob Posts: 65
    Options
    Dont use the scale as your guide! Look what you have accomplished without even looking at the scale! Take some measurements, if you havent already, so you can see progress in your size, too.
  • Lasirenn
    Lasirenn Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about period weight. I gained 3lbs during my last period and the day after it was over, the scale dropped down to normal. The first month is the hardest. Keep doing what you know is right and you can't fail.
  • mattelfaige
    mattelfaige Posts: 11
    Options
    drink a lot of water sounds like you have water retention and the weather change doesnt help either
  • AlphamaleBAMF
    AlphamaleBAMF Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Forget the scale it's irrelevant. Sometimes your weight goes up and down or stays the same but you lose inches instead, but as long as you're doing the right thing you will get to where you want. it just won't happen overnight. But when it does happen and you do finally reach your goal it will be worth it because you have worked for it and you can feel satisfaction that all your hard work is paying off.
  • netchik
    netchik Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Don't stress - a couple of days after TOM your weight will stabilize. No point getting worried about it. Just accept that one week out of a month, your weightloss will stall.
  • mlewon
    mlewon Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    take your measurements after you stop menstruating. that's your real guide, not your weight. you could be a little bloated from your period, but also you could be gaining muscle and muscle weighs more than fat but take up less space.
  • cip1
    cip1 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I avoid the scale in general. I weight once a week, same day, around the same time, or once every now & then - I did weight myself every day about 2 weeks ago & ended in tears when the scale was going up, and up, and up.... and then on the weight day it was back to normal o.o Around the time of the moth - I just don't weight myself. And up to a week after. It messes with my head too much. And we are heard not only to loose weight but to commit to the lifetime changes - so stay within healthy calorie range (as you seem to do) & carry on :) Don't let the scale mess up with your change!
  • missattitude57
    Options
    Totally what cip1 said! I've found that weighing myself once a week at the same time on the same day is the best indication of any weight I've lost. I weigh in on Thursday mornings and if I make the mistake of checking the scale even Wednesday morning I could be 3-4 pounds heavier than I will be the next morning. If you do it once a week at the same time, it's at least a good comparison of weight dropped from one week to the next.
  • whitedmm
    whitedmm Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hang in there! You will totally get through this!!

I get frustrated during my time of the month, too. It's totally normal for you body to be all screwed up at that time. Focus on meating the right things, keeping up with your workouts and drinking lots of water. Try not to give into those period cravings! It's so easy to want to stay in bed, or curled up on the couch instead of hitting the gym during that time. But you have to stay focused on your goal.

Make a list of all the reasons you WANT this, and repeat it to yourself when things get tough. (i want to buy clothes in a normal store/department. I want to live longer. I want to feel comfortable in shorts. I want to be able to run a marathons... Whatever those things are for you)

And... What helps me is skipping the scale that week. Its not going to hurt you to just skip that weigh in each month. Personally, I think the risk of discouragement is far more detrimental than waiting an extra week to step on the scale.

Keep moving forward!!
  • sandrahermione
    Options
    I used to fret a lot and weigh myself a lot. So impatient to see numbers drop. I joined the no scale open group on Mfp and have not weighed for nearly three weeks just measure once a week. Like you I feel better and since I have given the scale a break I am sooo much more relaxed. The scale had power over my whole day. Now I look at my body to see how it's doing and since I am eating well, it is looking better every day. Until yesterday when I suddenly looked all puffy and flabby, measured, gain an inch everywhere but guess what TOM visited today. Deep breath keep eating well and exercise. You will do well. Best of luck. Also I do not want my children to see me weigh myself every day or even measure yourself. It feels weird. As if you have to measure up to be okay. Not a message I want to send out.